Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIABETICS!!: whats your HBA1c???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

yungwan wrote: »
    My sons sugar is all over the place the last week. [Sigh]

Maybe he is going through a growth spurt or something as they are constantly high. Or perhaps he is just coming out of the honeymoon phase he has been in. (Diagnosed Aug)

He is only on small does of novomix as of yet. Up until recently this was 5 in am and 2/3 in pm. However it has been very high at times over the last week - 10 days (sometimes going as high as 30s for no apparent reason).

Have been increasing insulin gradually and it is now at 7 in am and 4 in pm. It was better yesterday (11, 15, 13, 5, 12, 12) and then 8.9 this morning. Obviously still not optimum but hopefully it will settle again. Its hard work!

Left a message for nurse there. Its so stressful some times. You cant take your eye of the ball at all!

We hear you! Just hang in there and remember you can only do your best. Keep ringing the nurse until she calls you back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭xxshebeexx

Had my annual review today.. came out beaming!

My hba1c this time last year was over 13. It was 11.9 in August, 9.6 in November and 8.8 today!! I'm so pleased with myself! Even my doctor kept saying he was so proud of me! He was saying, "this is why I love diabetes! Because of success stories like yours! It shows it can be done!"

A year ago, I was absolutely miserable about having this annoying diabetes lark, thinking I would never be able to manage it, that it would just always bring me down. I couldn't talk to anyone about it, injecting insulin felt like torture so I avoided it at any cost until I began feeling sick, and I'd go weeks without once checking my sugars. It didn't help that I was doing a year abroad in Germany for college, so living alone away from family and friends, having to deal with foreign doctors and a very different approach to diabetes really didn't do me any favours.

So fast forward to 2K11 and things are so much better. My parents stopped nagging me and my boyfriend started coming to check ups with me. I had a few sessions with a psychologist in the clinic and my attitude really changed. I'm not perfect, by any means, but I'll check my levels several times a day now, inject 90% of the time and I don't bite people's heads off if they ask me about diabetes or how I'm doing. It's not even a chore.. it's just finally become part of the routine. Get out of bed, put on my slippers, check levels, put on dressing gown. No biggie. It's a huge weight off my mind because the guilt is finally going!

I know I still have some way to go, but I'm getting there. 8.8 might not seem great to some, but in comparison to 13 a year ago? I'll never have it perfect, but once I get it down to somewhere between 7 and 8, then you won't hear a peep of complaint from me! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

//high-5's xxshebeexx!
    You *go* girl!

...actually I can't make that sound cool. Fair play shebee, keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Got my latest results last week my hBa1c were 5.2 so more than happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Awesome stuff, i'm in the same boat that you were in, last HBA1c was 10!!!!! I had really let my control slip, i've never been that bad before. My target is for a reading in the 6's. I've completely overhauled my routine and my blood sugars have been great the last few weeks. I'm hoping i can keep it up. Wish me luck...

I'll be going for my bloods tomorrow. And i'll know my HBA1c by next week. If it's not below 8 i'll be majorly annoyed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

Anyone ever read these articles? Anyone try them? What do you guys think?

There long....ish so I'll just put in the links. Here and here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

Anyone ever read these articles? Anyone try them? What do you guys think?

There long....ish so I'll just put in the links. Here and here.

Quackery at its finest. sorry but im massively biased and closed minded to anything other than a randomised controlled trial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Hey guys - I've created a single "chat" thread for all the diabetics for any topics of conversation that don't fit in the existing threads.

Dont feel you *have* to post all diabetic stuff in this thread, but if you're worried about going off topic in one of the other threads, hack away here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70953505

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My Husband has been diabetic since 2001 and when we arrived in Ireland they thought he was not type 1 because his HB1AC was too low (7). Also he has been told that he should aim not to be as low as 3.5 because for a type 1 diabetic that is hypo material...

Sorry I havent read all the posts just the first two pages but thought I would ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

milkmonkey wrote: »
    My Husband has been diabetic since 2001 and when we arrived in Ireland they thought he was not type 1 because his HB1AC was too low (7). Also he has been told that he should aim not to be as low as 3.5 because for a type 1 diabetic that is hypo material...

Sorry I havent read all the posts just the first two pages but thought I would ask.

What's your question? I'm sorry it's not clear from your post.:o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

A blood glucose level of below 4 is considered a hypo and you certainly shouldn't be aiming to get a BG reading of as low as 3.5.

Not the same scale of numbers, but a HBA1c of 3.5 is also dangerously low as a target and the common target for diabetics to be told is 7. Although they do sometimes seem to change their mind as to if it's below 7 or not that I should be aiming for. That could also be due to being a long way off 7 at the moment they are not too bothered as long as I get it down.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

robinph wrote: »
    A blood glucose level of below 4 is considered a hypo and you certainly shouldn't be aiming to get a BG reading of as low as 3.5.

Not the same scale of numbers, but a HBA1c of 3.5 is also dangerously low as a target and the common target for diabetics to be told is 7. Although they do sometimes seem to change their mind as to if it's below 7 or not that I should be aiming for. That could also be due to being a long way off 7 at the moment they are not too bothered as long as I get it down.

AFAIK you should be aiming for below 7. While 3.5 is low it is not dangerous but aiming for it is as you will often undershoot it and suffer the consequences. Also remaining near that level for long periods can reduce hypo awareness which will lead to far worse problems as many learn the hard way.

Another reason it is dangerous to aim that low is that as discussed previously, the glucometers most of use have quite a wide birth in terms of accuracy (upto 1mmol/L in some cases)

The reason many diabetics are told "aim for 7" is the simple reasoning that most of us due to lifestyle or other factors will struggle to get it to that level on a consistent basis but it seems more achievable than setting a narrower target of between 4.5 and 6. Also it is safer, less risk of running a hypo and your hypo sensing should be quite good if they are maintained at that level, and at 7 and below, the complications brought along by hyperglycaemia are for all intents and purposes, null and void.

Personally I aim for 5 - 5.5 but I usually hover around the 6-9 mark :p That said we'll see what it's like when I get my hba1c back in a few weeks, I've been off target for the past month, so I'm unsure where it will go.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Personally I aim for 5 - 5.5 but I usually hover around the 6-9 mark :p That said we'll see what it's like when I get my hba1c back in a few weeks, I've been off target for the past month, so I'm unsure where it will go.

I aim for 5ish too. If my blood sugar was 7.0 i'd take a very small amount of insulin to correct it(on a pump btw, so i can give 0.3 units!!). It could be seen as being a bit obsessive with it, but it's just what i've got into doing recently.

I'll get my HBA1c tomorrow. I'm actually going crazy thinking about it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I aim for 5ish too. If my blood sugar was 7.0 i'd take a very small amount of insulin to correct it(on a pump btw, so i can give 03 units!!). It could be seen as being a bit obsessive with it, but it's just what i've got into doing recently.

I'll get my HBA1c tomorrow. I'm actually going crazy thinking about it!

I was offered the pump when I was younger (and stupider) and turned it down, I'd love to be able to give fractions of units, it would make life so much easier.

Don't think I'd be too pushed if mine was 7 and I wasn't about to eat, but that could be my old fashioned PEN ways and our whole units. Over correcting is probably (pure conjecture, no proof) one of the biggest causes of severe hypoglycaemia from talking to others and from personal experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

My latest fructosamine (am a type 1 pregnant diabetic with other health issues) was less than 4.8 (in equivalent to HbA1c), had been trying to raise it a bit though the past few days my bloods have been higher at night.

I'll be going for my bloods tomorrow. And i'll know my HBA1c by next week. If it's not below 8 i'll be majorly annoyed!

Boooyaaaaaaaa:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Little Mickey

Was at the clinic today and got my result as 6.0%, thats down from 9.3% in November! Yippie!!!
    I started basal bolus after I had the clinic in November so the benifit is clear. Delighted, thats my lowest in years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My lady was in the clinic yesterday and her HBA1C is now 9.2 down from last time, but only by 0.4%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

My lady was in the clinic yesterday and her HBA1C is now 9.2 down from last time, but only by 0.4%

At least it was down though! Hopefully it continues on that pattern!

My son wont be back until next month, so hopefully his HBA1C will have gone down again. (It had increased by 1% to 8.6)

Sugars have been better overall (they went crazy for a little while) and I have changed our GP too just to increase overall care for my son. (Our old one was embarrassingly bad but I had put off changing as we were only ever there for colds flus etc, now since his diagnosis in Aug it was time to change) We need someone on the ball and up to date.

Fingers crossed things go as well for next months clinic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭xxshebeexx

At least it's heading in the right direction :) Well done to both of you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Just got my Feb results. 5.1:).

And i thought i was relaxing my control a bit. I wonder was it the cold weather and useing up more energy to warm up:confused:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just got my latest results, 5.8. Was 5.6 last time and I know I haven't been as good as I could have been so I'm happy with that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've got a terrible feeling that when they call me back in to actually give me my next hba1c the numbers are not going to be improved enough. Had a few too many high bg readings over the last few weeks, although they are now easier to correct on the pump, but I could really do with having a better hba1c next time.

Got my latest today and think I've broken a new personal record for rubbishness. :(

9.3% or 78mmol by their new way of counting.
    Just got some new results from a test from just before Christmas... 9.1% :(

Was thinking that was an awful result, but I guess it is a touch better than the last one. OK, I'm soon about to go onto a pump which in theory should help make things better eventually, but I'm really not sure what I've been doing so different from the previous umpteen years that my last couple of tests have been some relatively bad compared to before?!?

7/10 - 9.3% :mad: :mad:
    1/11 - 9.1% :mad:
    7/11 - 7.5% :D:D:D:D

I'm off to do a little dance around the office now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Well done Robin- I know only too well the discipline needed to get your HbA1C as good as you have done yours. Really well done!

Just back from crumlin, daughters HBA1C is now 9.9 %

moved further up the list to get a pump, as she was taking 6 injections a day, now they have decided to change her insulin altogether,

she is on going on to:

M3 humulin 30 units @9am

S Humulin 8 @6pm

I humulin @9pm

have to pick up the prescription later :D

so when she starts school no injections at all at school..... have to check her hba1c at the gps on the 30th of august to see if her hba1c is coming down.....

so when she starts school no injections at all at school.....

:eek:

Why is that? Is she able to inject herself, or with someone from the school "supervising"?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

:eek:

Why is that? Is she able to inject herself, or with someone from the school "supervising"?

I was wondering this too?
    Whats the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I only had my injections at home when I was attending school but that was a long time ago (gosh I sound old). The pens are really handy compared with having to bring vials of insulin around like they did in my day...

• Advertisement

she had a shared sna, and she was carb counting and the sna would double check carbs and insulin then my lady would take the insulin (sna double checking it was required amount) but sometimes she would not eat all her food (so risk of hypo) and other times she was still hungry and wanted more food so i would get a phone call to see if you could eat something out of her snack bag (a bag full of hypo goodies, whether it was seasame sticks, crackers or cereal bar )

so now thats over and no more carb counting / insulin at school things should be easier for her at school rather than having someone looking over her shoulder all the time. my ladys a preteen so very body conscious and its not the nicest thing in the world having the female sna watching you jab yourself in the tummy/leg.

Things should be way easier now and they can get rid of the sna and give the sna to someone who needs her more. (we didnt want the sna for sept 2010 but our lady got landed with a shared one)

Advertisement