Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIABETICS!!: whats your HBA1c???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

oh.

my.

god :)

7.6! that's the lowest they've been since I was dx'd. I'm actually delighted. They did see minor changes in the eye test (Rob, you and I are deffo in sync here) but said it was nothing to worry about for the moment. But yeah, 7.6 :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

w00t!!!!!!!

:D:D:D

I think we may have synced our cycles, ooer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

Ah well done TBH!

Awww diabetic bromance warms the heart!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭xxshebeexx

7.6 is absolutely fantastic! Well done :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

6.8. Over the moon with that. Been out of whack for a long time now with an alltime high of 13 odd last year. Bit of a kick from the opthamologist has me motivated now though.

Seriously delighted with this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Off the rails control wise for about 4 months now, not keeping an eye on it, lying to myself and my OH. Paid the price. Got my HbA1C checked today at a conference.

9.2%

Game face is back on, it will be under 8 by christmas, taking bets from those who say it can't be done :cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

:(

Not sure if I should be betting that it can't be done, or that it can be done? Might be some reverse psychology trick in there.

Oh go on then, put me down for three dextrose tabs that it can't be done. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

my daughter got hers checked last week, 10.6, shes been refusing to take her blood sugars.

she was at the psychologist, and he says they are not going to check her hba1c for the next few months, he wants her to take baby steps in the right direction first. we have to go to dublin for her to see him monthly. He is a diabetic child psychologist, she seems to like him and has met with him 5 or 6 times.

Her bloods have been running high recently and she has been on antibiotics now they are panning out.

coming in between 6 and 15 in the morning, and between 9 and 11 sus and lunch time and 11 at 6pm and around 5 at bedtime.

insulin 46 humulin m3 8am 10 humulin S at 6pm and 20 humulin before bed. had her first hypo in 2 weeks last night and again a hypo at sus. so need to reduce insulin.... all fun and games.

oh and i had to do a deal with the psychologist that i also test my blood sugars 4 times a day for a month, i scored a 2.8 2.6 3.7 8.6 7.5 i did score a 12 once, average blood sugars over 7 days was 6.7, now dropped to 5.7.

robinph wrote: »
    :(

Not sure if I should be betting that it can't be done, or that it can be done? Might be some reverse psychology trick in there.

Oh go on then, put me down for three dextrose tabs that it can't be done. :D

I have some spare, you can use them at the end of your first race in 2012 :pac:
    insulin 46 humulin m3 8am 10 humulin S at 6pm and 20 humulin before bed. had her first hypo in 2 weeks last night and again a hypo at sus. so need to reduce insulin.... all fun and games.

It's been quite a few years since i have been on Humulin but they seem like some odd doses (my memory could be completely wrong). Is 20 before bed normal? Is M3 the same as Mixtard? I've never heard of it before, what keeps her basal overnight?

Sorry for all the questions.

M3 is similar to mixtard you dont have to mix it and it is both long term and fast acting.

she was originally on 15 before bed (but with high blood sugars in a morning has pushed it up to 20)

m3 long term lasts around 12 hours, it also gives fast acting insulin to cover b.fast and lunch, that's also why a fast acting insulin (humulin S) is needed for tea time.

Humulin I would be the night time long acting (?basal?) and also lasts around 12 hours. dose will alter accoring to readings, can move it up or down by 10%. she might be ok taking the same does for 3 weeks and something will happen and we have to up it or down it. last week we had to up everything as bloods went sky high.... they seem to be panning out now.....

• Advertisement

Thanks Grindelwald, I just remember that I was on two shots of the mixtard, one in the morning and then one in the evening, alongside shots of Actrapid for large meals (same as Humulin). Basal is just the minimal insulin floating around in your system as you always need a small bit in your system for various things.

Your going to hate me for asking this but is there any chance she is hypoing overnight and then rebounding for the morning? Happened to me alot as a child and they never realised for along time till a nurse suggested my mam do tests in the middle of the night (between 12 and 2).

EDIT: I just realised you had written "Humulin I", not "Humulin, I", did not realise there were so many mixes of Humulin out there, apologies for the waffle.

she did hypo 2 nights ago, other than that there was no way she was having a hypo her bloods were over 16 each time we checked them. also when she was at the gps last Friday she was 10.6 and that was the lowest she had been for 3 days but this time she had ++++ ketones. he gave her antibiotics in case an infection was brewing.

she was having silent hypos a few months back, but in this case she wasnt. I reduced the ' humulin I ' down to 18.5 last night, due to the hypo 2 nights ago. She was 9.9 this morning.

There are a lot of different insulin's out there now, funny how some work for you and others dont.... mixtard was useless, humulin m3 seems to be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

You know whatever about the pump being the best thing since sliced bread, I think that a continous glucose monitoring system would bring so much peace of mind to parents of children with diabetes.

graflynn wrote: »
    You know whatever about the pump being the best thing since sliced bread, I think that a continous glucose monitoring system would bring so much peace of mind to parents of children with diabetes.

Thats for sure....

The pump is fantastic, but I would have to think hard if there was a choice between it and a reliable constant bg monitoring device that didn't cost the earth. I would potentially trade them.

robinph wrote: »
    The pump is fantastic, but I would have to think hard if there was a choice between it and a reliable constant bg monitoring device that didn't cost the earth. I would potentially trade them.

Going in for a meeting about the pump tomorrow but I would totally agree with you about the CGM, consistently shown to improve diabetes management in every conference I have ever been too. A nice wireless one that connects to my smartphone would be incredible, just unlock my phone to check the time and my BGwould show up on screen, NICE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

All this talk of pumps and what not:pac:. Am I the only diabetic that still uses the syringe and vial? I honestly think its just easier and very handy, don't think I would ever change from it I am so used to it.

MUSEIST wrote: »
    All this talk of pumps and what not:pac:. Am I the only diabetic that still uses the syringe and vial? I honestly think its just easier and very handy, don't think I would ever change from it I am so used to it.

I was on the jab and bottle up until last year, I just prefered it but the doctor said I should switch as the pen was more accurate (I would disagree with him substantially after awhile of use, eg not discharging fully, the plunger not connecting to the bottom of the vial, large air bubbles forming because of change in temperature etc.) but the truth is I find the pen handier, 2 seconds to wind, 2 seconds to press and then just wait a few more, job done. If I went back to being overly strict then I would probably prefer the old way or the pump but I'm happy as is at the minute.

On the other hand the missus wants the pump on me, previous issues that were discussed on another thread aside :cool: apparently it is because she cares, women, can't live with them, probably be in a hypoglycemic coma without them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

My son had his HBA1c measured today and it was up. Up by only 0.2 (from 8.7 to 8.9) but we decided that we just cant get the control we want from the Novomix twice daily, its just too much guess work and not enough consistency.

My son (8) was diagnosed just 13 months ago, and the regime worked well during his adjustment period, but we decided to change to the Novorapid and Levimer, which we started this evening. It is a relief to me to be honest. I am not working at the moment unfortunately, but it will allow me to go in and help my son take his lunch time insulin at school until he is 100% confident.

He is still quite sensitive to his insulin, he was taking just 15 units of Novomix a day and will now start on 3 @ meals and 6 @ night to see how he does.

I am signed up for a carb counting class next month too which is great. Here is to better control and better BG in the coming months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Latest for me 8.1% (or 65 mmol/mol).

Only down by 0.4% over the past 12 months.

I know it's not good but at least I'm still going in the right direction. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭Morgans

First time poster on here. 5 year diabetic. 8.4 today. Highest its been. Disappointed really. Like its been 7.x for a good while now. And better when starting off.

A lot of it is from an effort to lose weight and resulting hypos after workouts. Find it difficult to get into a routine testing when you are at the gym, cycling etc.

Anyway, onwards and upwards or downwards.

Thanks to those who have posted previously, reading the thread has helped.

Well my lady had her first true hypo on tuesday and had to call an ambulance, she was admitted for 3 nights. Can't control her blood sugars with humulin they discharged us without getting on top of them, have to phone them daily on the weekdays. Got a feeling they will change her insulin in the next 3 weeks, hope this pushes us up the list for a pump. Don't know her hab1c but think it's over 12, average blood sugars for 7 days on her monitor are 16.9. With ketones up to 1.9, not good not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

Well my lady had her first true hypo on tuesday and had to call an ambulance, she was admitted for 3 nights. Can't control her blood sugars with humulin they discharged us without getting on top of them, have to phone them daily on the weekdays. Got a feeling they will change her insulin in the next 3 weeks, hope this pushes us up the list for a pump. Don't know her hab1c but think it's over 12, average blood sugars for 7 days on her monitor are 16.9. With ketones up to 1.9, not good not good.

Oh dear grindlewald!

That must be very upsetting for you!

Clearly a big change is needed to sort out your troubles, hopefully this will be a turning point in your daughters care.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

My last 3 have been 6.5%, 6.5% & 6.8%, which is confusing the doctor in the diabetes centre I attend, as my day to day readings are still pretty high. Waking, I'm usually in the 11.0 - 12.0 range, and it's a battle to try and get the readings down then Throughout the day.

The doctor was blaming my readings on my glucometer at first, but that made no sense, because of the level of compensatory insulin I'd take would have me hypo'ing!:rolleyes::eek:

For example, for those carb counting, I have 5 cp's in the morning - every morning. My ratio of novorapid to cp = 3:1. With a reading of 11.0, I might take a correction of maybe 22 units of novorapid on top of the 15 units for the food. I've yet to have a bad hypo.

They also have me taking 2000mg per day of Glucophage (Metformin) to try and Heighten my insulin sensitivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Heuston14

Heuston14 wrote: »
    Hello all, will jump aboard this thread. New to boards.ie, am Type 1 for 21 years. Preparing to try and make our first baby is my big issue right now. Latest HBA1c 8% so working on getting that down. For anyone who has taken the 5mg folic acid - did you have any side effects at all. Wondering because I feel as sick as a pig today and have been getting quite bad headaches lately. Am hoping it's just a coincidence. We'll see I suppose!:confused:

Hey all, hope everyone is doing good. Prepare for some boasting............latest Hba1c = 6.5%....BOOM! Thrilled :)

Oh and I'm 18 weeks pregnant, hence the great result!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Very pleasantly surprised that it was 5.9 today as I really haven't been all that good lately. Need to get my arse in gear and lose the weight I've put back on. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Hi all,

I was 7.2 last week, gave started into the victoza, now after a few days of it im at 12 ?

Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Ok its kicking in now, 6.4.

Not eating the white bread etc helps a lot.

Back in last week, my daughters hba1c has come down to 9.6 from 10.4, at least its on its way down.

• Advertisement

^ All good that it's going the in the right direction.

Went to have bloods taken yesterday for my annual checkup, now have to wait until the 28th for the results. I expect them to have gone up a bit, but hopefully not too much. At least I can pig out over xmas now without fear of ruining the results. :D

Advertisement