Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIABETICS!!: whats your HBA1c???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dayo93

13.3% That was on diagnosis, so should be better next time around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

13.3 yikes. Still from that level the most modest tweas ion diet, disipline will make a difference.

Just got my number, 6.8 down from 7.4. 6 is my minimum "target" for next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

Well I went for my blood tests the other day, I'll post my results in a couple of weeks, I got 4 packs of strips. My blood pressure was up so the doc stopped my tritace and co-diovan and prescribed a combined tablet Exforge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

I don't know for sure but it's definitely above 10. Which, honestly, I'm very worried about. It's been that way for years though and I can't get it down. My doctor is even beginning to get a little annoyed at this stage.
    But ever since my thyroid became overactive, it's been pretty bad (it wasn't perfect before but it wasn't above 8% either). My thyroid is fine now (although I'm still on the medication and I haven't been tested for it in a while now) but the problem persists.
    My control has been pretty good over the holidays (but still a little on the high side) apart from last night when it dipped to 3.8 mmol/L without me noticing and then shot to 10.1 mmol/L just before I went to bed (about one and a half to two hours later).

I think I've found my new year's resolution: better glycemic control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes about 8 months ago - I wasn't diabetic 2 years ago, and I'd been dieting and exercising (following a bout of bad back itis and weight gain) and I don't have any close relations with diabetes ...

so anyway, I'm on meds, but I didn't change my eating habits or exercise regime. I've lost over a stone in weight LOL

My bloods are usually around 7, it's over 8 if I'm stressed, or my back is sore, for several weeks before Christmas it was low 6s, then it jumped to high 8s, now it's gone back done to 6s again ...

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »

Just got my number, 6.8 down from 7.4. 6 is my minimum "target" for next time.

Bah! 6.6. Hardly worth getting out of bed for. My achilles heel is still my failure to get to grips with going to bed with a reading of about 5, my brain still says "thats too low, you'll wake up at 3 am".

Anyway, I'm going to have to deal with this and knuckle down. If I'm not less than 6 next time I will be very dissapointed in myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Was with my consultant yesterday and actually asked him what my HBA1c was so delighted with 5.1 considering when i was diagnosed 19 months ago my blood sugars were 96.4,also told me i can cut back on testing i test 4 times a day he told me to cut it back to once a day but at different times and i dont have to see him now for a year, also my cholesterol is 2.4 and i am at 79 kilos from 137.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭upthedub

I have to get my blood test,hba1c etc tomorrow and i need to fast.If i am going to get the test at 12 tomorrow lunch when should i last eat???

upthedub wrote: »
    I have to get my blood test,hba1c etc tomorrow and i need to fast.If i am going to get the test at 12 tomorrow lunch when should i last eat???

I've heard 8 hours before for a fasting blood glucose. That mightn't be right because I've only had it done once (when I wasn't even fasting!).

For a HBA1C, it should matter when you last ate. Average Blood Sugar levels are what affects that.

Can anyone verify what I said? I'm not the best of diabteics to ask. :o

Bah! 6.6. Hardly worth getting out of bed for. My achilles heel is still my failure to get to grips with going to bed with a reading of about 5, my brain still says "thats too low, you'll wake up at 3 am".

Anyway, I'm going to have to deal with this and knuckle down. If I'm not less than 6 next time I will be very dissapointed in myself.

That's still very good.

I'm spiralling out of control if it makes you feel any better (about yourself).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I know the night time dilema only too well - am at the stage where I set an alarm around 2.30 to see if I am OK...if I give myself 9 units of lantus I am up all the night with hypos and if I give myself 8 I am about 4.5 at 3.30 but 6.8:eek: at 6...I can't seem to win. My HbA1c is around 5.0 but it takes a lot of work and a lot of testing. (Am a type 1 trying for a baby).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I've heard 8 hours before for a fasting blood glucose. That mightn't be right because I've only had it done once (when I wasn't even fasting!).

For a HBA1C, it should matter when you last ate. Average Blood Sugar levels are what affects that.

Can anyone verify what I said? I'm not the best of diabteics to ask. :o

Yep thats true. You don't need to fast for a HBA1C. You do need to fast for a glucose tolerence test or for cholesterol tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ricardo1

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I know the night time dilema only too well - am at the stage where I set an alarm around 2.30 to see if I am OK...if I give myself 9 units of lantus I am up all the night with hypos and if I give myself 8 I am about 4.5 at 3.30 but 6.8:eek: at 6...I can't seem to win. My HBa1c is around 5.0 but it takes a lot of work and a lot of testing. (Am a type 1 trying for a baby).
    You're IDDM. Your blood glucose levels will be difficult to keep controlled within the acceptable levels. The second dose of 8 IU gives you good control if your glucose readings are from 4.5 to 6.8 during night time. A non diabetic will rarely have glucose level readings below 3.5 or above 8 so your glycaemic control with readings as above appear good. Remember though the only true way to determine how well your glucose levels are being controlled is by getting regular check ups at the diabetic clinic where your HBa1C will be calculated.
    HBa1C will tell how well your glucose level is controlled over a period of 8-12 weeks.HBa1c is very reasonable at 5.
    Home glucose test will determine glucose reading at that time and are a means for alerting you if they are dangerously low or high at a particular time and not over a period.Your readings wouldn't concern your doctor at the lower dose but be careful with the higher dose which is giving hypoglycaemia.Hypoglycaemia can be a lot more serious than hyperglycaemia Make sure you and your partner know what to do for a hypoglycaemic crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

hey there got my results mine is 9 which is a little high def wanna get back down to 7 for my next test, just wodering will that be hard to do

What insulin are you taking and how "regular" is your lifestyle? Chaotic/messy life = high reading as a rule.

BC wrote: »
    Yep thats true. You don't need to fast for a HBA1C. You do need to fast for a glucose tolerence test or for cholesterol tests.
    YOU DO NEED TO FAST FOR A HBA1C.

YOU DO NEED TO FAST FOR A HBA1C.

No. You don't.

No. You don't.
    Yes you do as the main hospital in the country "st.james" will tell you that.

Yes you do as the main hospital in the country "st.james" will tell you that.

HbA1C measures glycoslyated haemoglobin. This cannot be affected by short term fluctuations caused by fasting or not fasting because it shows the average amount of glucose that has been in a person’s blood over approximately the last 3 months.

Other tests done at the same time as a HbA1C may require you to fast. But if you are only getting a HbA1C then you do not need to fast. It would serve absolutely no purpose.

I am open to contradiction on this but I cannot see a medical reason to fast for a HbA1C. Fasting glucose yes, cholesterol yes. But not HbA1C.

I have been having such tests for a million years, I've never fasted for one unless it was in conjunction with something that required one.

• Advertisement

I have been having such tests for a million years, I've never fasted for one unless it was in conjunction with something that required one.
    I must let prof.nolan no that i do not need to fast for my hba1c as he has being telling me to fast for them for the last 8 years.:rolleyes:

Is any one of yous in the medical profession??Or can yous prove this information so i can show "prof nolan" who is one of the top professors in diabetes in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

Low 9s the last time. Hoping for a much better result next time around

ElBarco wrote: »
    Low 9s the last time. Hoping for a much better result next time around
    You type 1 or 2?

Type 1

Same as myself.I will have my hba1c results wednesday so fingers crossed as i need good news for a job.;)

Same as myself.I will have my hba1c results wednesday so fingers crossed as i need good news for a job.;)

Best of luck with it!

I read a forum here before,it was about a diabetic who was refused employment with irish rail last year and im trying to find it again,can you try find it??

He was refused because he was diabetic

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I must let prof.nolan no that i do not need to fast for my hba1c as he has being telling me to fast for them for the last 8 years.:rolleyes:

Is any one of yous in the medical profession??Or can yous prove this information so i can show "prof nolan" who is one of the top professors in diabetes in ireland.

It is not uncommon for patients to be requested to do a fasting HbA1c- indeed many phlebotomists specifically request patients fast for this test. This is inaccurate- if you read the literature you will see there is no valid medical reason for a patient to fast for an A1c......

The A1c is a measure of glucose binding on haemoglobin cells over a 3 month period (many labs actually look at the different aged haemoglobin cells seperately in order to look for inconsistencies/abnormalities in the haemoglobin cells themselves).

There are many things that might not be immediately apparent that can give wildly abnormal readings- such as (and this list is not exhaustive)-

Anaemia
    Ingestion of supplements such as Vitamin C or E
    A fatty diet that increases blood lipids
    Kidney or liver disease
    Underactive thyroid

There is no medical reason for a diagnosed diabetic to have a fasting A1c test- unless there were other tests being conducted at the same time that might be affected by blood glucose levels (such as cholesterol or triglyceride testing etc).

I am not suggesting you go into the good professor all guns blazing- he most certainly will not be impressed if you're all confrontational with him.

We are *not* allowed to offer medical advice in this forum- we can discuss matters or compare notes by all means, but not offer advice or diagnosis. If you want to quote a source to the good Prof- contact the Diabetes Federation of Ireland- who will be only too happy to explain to you in detail exactly what the HbA1c entails.

I'm a medical student (so that means absolutely nothing really but you ask so I tell).

If you look into what the HbA1C measures, you will see that it reflects the average readings for the past three months due to your haemoglobin being glycosylated by circulating sugar. How could this be affected by whether you ate in the last 12 hours?

The reason you are asked to fast is probably because your doctor wants to do other tests as well. You can perform multiple blood tests on the same sample.

But I don't know, if you want to know why your doctor asks you to fast, you should ask him.

Btw, my information comes from the numerous clinical biochemistry texts I have studied and the associated exams. I also have looked through the odd endocrinology text out of curiosity due to my own diabetes.

I promise you that you don't need to fast for a HbA1C but you should still do so because your doctor wants you too (probably as a result of those other tests that he wants).

• Advertisement

smccarrick wrote: »
    It is not uncommon for patients to be requested to do a fasting HbA1c- indeed many phlebotomists specifically request patients fast for this test. This is inaccurate- if you read the literature you will see there is no valid medical reason for a patient to fast for an A1c......

The A1c is a measure of glucose binding on haemoglobin cells over a 3 month period (many labs actually look at the different aged haemoglobin cells seperately in order to look for inconsistencies/abnormalities in the haemoglobin cells themselves).

There are many things that might not be immediately apparent that can give wildly abnormal readings- such as (and this list is not exhaustive)-

Anaemia
    Ingestion of supplements such as Vitamin C or E
    A fatty diet that increases blood lipids
    Kidney or liver disease
    Underactive thyroid

There is no medical reason for a diagnosed diabetic to have a fasting A1c test- unless there were other tests being conducted at the same time that might be affected by blood glucose levels (such as cholesterol or triglyceride testing etc).

I am not suggesting you go into the good professor all guns blazing- he most certainly will not be impressed if you're all confrontational with him.

We are *not* allowed to offer medical advice in this forum- we can discuss matters or compare notes by all means, but not offer advice or diagnosis. If you want to quote a source to the good Prof- contact the Diabetes Federation of Ireland- who will be only too happy to explain to you in detail exactly what the HbA1c entails.
    Ok thanks.
    Any chance you can read my last post here and help me on that one??

Advertisement