Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIABETICS!!: whats your HBA1c???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭central

Hi all,

I am Type 1 Diabetic for almost 22 yrs now. I am attending Tallaght Hospital and have heard great things about Loughlinstown. I am at a stage now where I feel I need re-training on Diabetes Management and wondered if a new team etc would be the best option for me?

My Hba1c has been 7-7.4% for the past 2 yrs which is the best it has ever been. They still want me to get it below 7 but my last reading in May was 7.4% again. I am a "bad" diabetic in that I don't check my sugars and eat the wrong foods and do very little exercise so I feel if I was re-trained and made small adjustments I could get it below 6.

So basically what I am asking the Type 1 diabetics out there who attend Loughlinstown, is it as great as I hear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Jilly19

central wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am Type 1 Diabetic for almost 22 yrs now. I am attending Tallaght Hospital and have heard great things about Loughlinstown. I am at a stage now where I feel I need re-training on Diabetes Management and wondered if a new team etc would be the best option for me?

My Hba1c has been 7-7.4% for the past 2 yrs which is the best it has ever been. They still want me to get it below 7 but my last reading in May was 7.4% again. I am a "bad" diabetic in that I don't check my sugars and eat the wrong foods and do very little exercise so I feel if I was re-trained and made small adjustments I could get it below 6.

So basically what I am asking the Type 1 diabetics out there who attend Loughlinstown, is it as great as I hear?

I was a ''bad'' diabetic up until march of this year when they kept me in hospital with DKA. I was in ICU attached to an insulin infusion for 1 week! I suppose that was the wake up call that i needed to get things back on track. Now i check my sugars every 2 hours if i need and since iv also gone from 4 injections a day to 2 its so much better. I had also requested a change in hospital from Navan to the Mater as i live beside there but i regret that now because i realised that it wasnt a change in hospitals that i needed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Hi all,

I do not know about the place itself but there is a wonderful diabetic nurse there who used to work in the hospital I attend (am thinking of switching to go back under her care).

My HbA1c is lowish but it takes a lot of work - 6.5 is doable with more testing and a bit of knowledge. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

I got my latest hba1c back 6.2 down from 6.7 I feel very happy about that

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just seen this thread for the first time and thought ingenious.

Up until 4 years ago my average was between 4.6 to 5.8 but in recent years it has slipped dramatically out of control.

I am now averaging between 8 and 9 but think I'm getting better and hopefully my next appointment in October will show a return to form.

That said a guy who works with me is getting a reader for HbA1c's (for his own research into T2DM) so I may start doing monthly/bimonthly checks when it arrives.

@Central; you say your a bad Diabetic but your HbA1c isn't the worst I've ever seen, be careful in that HbA1c can be misleading especially if you have drastically variable blood sugar levels. It may have been mentioned before but basically, as nearly all Diabetic nurses will tell you, if your not checking your bloods regularly, regardless of its level, it isn't much good.

I'd agree with you in that a change of team maybe the right idea if you feel its just a nudge in the right direction is what you need. Just be prepared as us diabetics do tend to fell mentally and physically run down quite easily when our control slips, even a bit, so it maybe tough.

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Wayne Scales

got it down from 7.8 to 7.2 , very happy with that. Just added a small bit of exercise @ lunchtime and the evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

Hi all,

Hi there,

I went to hardcourt street and then to tallaght as a child, I then moved to Loughlinstown when I was 19 and I have to say I love it.

I think the team are great especially Mary and Kate!! Plus Donal O'Shea the endo is very very nice and one of the best in the country. The only thing I would warn you of is that Loughlinstown is over run with patients. But to be fare I think most of the country is as well.

Good luck with your change!

eilo1 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I went to hardcourt street and then to tallaght as a child, I then moved to Loughlinstown when I was 19 and I have to say I love it.

I think the team are great especially Mary and Kate!! Plus Donal O'Shea the endo is very very nice and one of the best in the country. The only thing I would warn you of is that Loughlinstown is over run with patients. But to be fare I think most of the country is as well.

Good luck with your change!
    Is the Australian diabetic nurse still there? Am thinking of going to O'Shea...at the moment I am left managing mine myself as my previous doctor thought nothing of me having several severe hypos a day...rant over for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭central

Hi Eilo1,

I too went to Harcourt Street and then moved to Tallaght. To be honest I think being a diabetic for the last 22 yrs (almost) I should know what I am doing, and to an extent I do. I just think I need to be re-taught it all now. I don't find the clinic helpful in that I turn up at 2pm for a 2.30pm appointment and more often than not I am still there at 6pm or later. I know there is a shortage of doctors etc for these clinics but I do have a life and I get very frustrated having to sit for hours on end to see a student doctor more often than not who HAS to ask you the same questions you were asked about your care 20 yrs ago. I have just lost all patience with it now.

I am due back mid August and hoping to speak to our head guy Kevin Moore although he is a very busy man and isn't always available to meet at these clinics. I know he tries his best and if I wanted to sit and talk for hours I can make an appointment with a diabetic nurse from the team but I don't need to talk, I need a good kick up the ass to put me back on track. I want to start a family in the near future and all I keep hearing is "get your HBA1C below 6.8 and we'll talk". Grrr

Hi Eilo1,

I too went to Harcourt Street and then moved to Tallaght. To be honest I think being a diabetic for the last 22 yrs (almost) I should know what I am doing, and to an extent I do. I just think I need to be re-taught it all now. I don't find the clinic helpful in that I turn up at 2pm for a 2.30pm appointment and more often than not I am still there at 6pm or later. I know there is a shortage of doctors etc for these clinics but I do have a life and I get very frustrated having to sit for hours on end to see a student doctor more often than not who HAS to ask you the same questions you were asked about your care 20 yrs ago. I have just lost all patience with it now.

I am due back mid August and hoping to speak to our head guy Kevin Moore although he is a very busy man and isn't always available to meet at these clinics. I know he tries his best and if I wanted to sit and talk for hours I can make an appointment with a diabetic nurse from the team but I don't need to talk, I need a good kick up the ass to put me back on track. I want to start a family in the near future and all I keep hearing is "get your HBA1C below 6.8 and we'll talk". Grrr
    I had a baby 2nd April this year and have been diabetic since 1985...my HbAac at conception was 5.8 but it went down through the pregnancy...they monitor you very closely, my son was small and born a bit early but is fine...just think "babies" and it will help motivate you, it did for me...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Got my latest today and think I've broken a new personal record for rubbishness. :(

9.3% or 78mmol by their new way of counting.

robinph wrote: »
    Got my latest today and think I've broken a new personal record for rubbishness. :(

Dont worry too much robin, it really doesnt help!

Do you exercise much I have great benefits from strength training, but used to get highs from running and riding race horses! But over all i find my sugars are best when im working out. It may help with the hba1c.........:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Yep, I'm doing a lot of running, although I should be doing more for the races I have lined up already, and also started doing a bit of biking as well but not going very far on that just yet. That hba1c number is mostly due to laziness though and me failing to check bloods as often as I should and forgetting to take an extra fast acting shot in the evening when I pig out a bit after a workout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

robinph wrote: »

what was their reaction? Seems strange that my guys says "8% is ok" whereas others here are told to get it down below 7.

I know my failing too. I generally creep up overnight, so it'd be on the high side when I wake up. I wouldn't test until lunch (don't eat breakfast) so it's at least four hours in the morning rising unchecked. I think if I could get into the habit of checking it as soon as i wake up (6:20) and correcting, I'd really bring it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I think it very much depends on the doctor/nurse. Someone I know was told that his was not high enough to justify medication by his doctor but the nurse went ballistic when she found out he wasn't on medication.

tbh, what would you describe as "high"...I had to do a blood test in the middle of the night when I was trying for a baby but have stopped now for a while, I know the fear of being low at night, am lucky that my husband can tell when I am having a low but it is stilll scary. Am glad that I am not the only one who does not eat breakfast, I only eat it when I am on holidays, I love a vegetarian grill...for me coffee used to affect my bloods and while I gave up the stuff with caffine for another reason it did help overall.

I think that testing is key to lowering blood sugars, it probably takes 10 seconds to do it (including getting the machine) and then adapting your insulin accordingly, sure you know that yourself.

My last HbA1c was just over 4 months ago but I keep an eye on my blood sugars and notice trends, I never like it above 7 unless I have just had food and it does take work but long term it is worth it.

In the morning I could be anything from 8 to 14/15.. :(

these days it's lower tho, I've made a few improvements in the last few months which are really helping, but still likely to be between 8 and 10

tbh wrote: »
    what was their reaction? Seems strange that my guys says "8% is ok" whereas others here are told to get it down below 7.

Was only the first number that this system have for me, and we both agreed it was bad, I then listed out several excuses for it and my general incompetence over the last few months.

She was saying that low 7's was what they would be aiming for now, rather than below 7. But the mmol(?) number is what everywhere should be changing to from now on due to differences between how the hba1c lab results from various places, I think around 50-60 was what she said the equivalent to 7 would be with the new system.

these days it's lower tho, I've made a few improvements in the last few months which are really helping, but still likely to be between 8 and 10
    You know yourself that is not the best, I know the fear of going too low, we all have that but you are not doing yourself good being that high, I was 10 twice in the past year because I ate chocolate in my sleep but have moved the chocolate away...6-8 or would be better, sorry...are you on lantus? Maybe the pump might be better for you? If you have a look at your bloods and also look at what you eat the night before, are you eating low GI at night? Your diabetic nurse and dietician would be the best bet.

I know that none of us like to look at the potential long term complications but sometimes you need to look at them to get a wake up call, sorry.

ah yeah, I know I have to get it sorted. It's not really about the insulin, like I'd have say a chicken salad for dinner and 38 lantus - go for a walk, test before bed and it'd be maybe 5 dead on, then on waking it'd be 11. I thought maybe I was going low in the night but don't seem to be...should really just check and shoot in the morning..

• Advertisement

ah yeah, I know I have to get it sorted. It's not really about the insulin, like I'd have say a chicken salad for dinner and 38 lantus - go for a walk, test before bed and it'd be maybe 5 dead on, then on waking it'd be 11. I thought maybe I was going low in the night but don't seem to be...should really just check and shoot in the morning..
    I would go to bed at about 5 too but in the morning I am normally about 4ish, though it can vary up to about 6...I take only 7 lantus at night (8 has me having a bad low blood sugar in the middle of the night)...I do not eat large volumes though and go for a walk before dinner...during the day looking after my son is my execise! I supose it is interesting to see how others deal with their diabetes. If you could set an alarm for 2-3am the odd time and see - the thing is that you do not want to go the other way...it is like living on a knife edge at times...please be careful and do talk to the diabetic nurse before making any changes.

Getting the same sort of numbers in the mornings myself the last while which is mostly why the hba1c was what it was.

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Is the Australian diabetic nurse still there? Am thinking of going to O'Shea...at the moment I am left managing mine myself as my previous doctor thought nothing of me having several severe hypos a day...rant over for now.

What your dr wasnt concerned!??!

thats awful, i wish we could get bad endo's sacked!

Anyways Im not sure if there is an Australian nurse there, I generally deal with Mary and she is brilliant. Really caring and on the ball, she gives me lots of time and support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Jilly19

is anyone with the Mater? just wondering what they are like as im waiting on a transfer a few months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

They're not too bad. I go to the Diabetic Day Centre there if I need to - they have good nurses, nutritionist etc. Like everywhere else, you can't get to see their chiropodist, but I think you can get a few free appointments to designated chiropodists anyway.

I go to the outpatients clinic - Dr. Firth. The doctors are fine - young & up to date with all the developments. The outpatients clinic has recently re-located to Dorset St. and there can be quite a wait to see your doctor. I usually take a half-day off work as you'd never make it to work in time.

The only thing was, I had to self-refer myself to the Expert course (very good course - run by the HSE), as the Mater don't seem to promote it.

Otherwise I have no complaints about the Mater.

They're not too bad. I go to the Diabetic Day Centre there if I need to - they have good nurses, nutritionist etc. Like everywhere else, you can't get to see their chiropodist, but I think you can get a few free appointments to designated chiropodists anyway.

I go to the outpatients clinic - Dr. Firth. The doctors are fine - young & up to date with all the developments. The outpatients clinic has recently re-located to Dorset St. and there can be quite a wait to see your doctor. I usually take a half-day off work as you'd never make it to work in time.

The only thing was, I had to self-refer myself to the Expert course (very good course - run by the HSE), as the Mater don't seem to promote it.

Otherwise I have no complaints about the Mater.

Just curious what the expert course is?? is it similar to the DAFNE course?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

eilo1 wrote: »
    Just curious what the expert course is?? is it similar to the DAFNE course?

Both the Xpert & the DESMOND courses are for People with type 2, they're run by the HSE. You can get on them by asking your GP to refer you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

11.2%. Down from 13.5%.

Still awful but at least it's going in the right direction.

Hoping to have made a real dent in it next time it's measured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mannyc

Hi all,

I've been a Type 1 diabetic for over 23 years now. I don't think there are any magic fixes to good results. My last blood test was 7.4% one of the best in a long time. Like many I get lazy with regards to food and drink. My previous results have been up in the 9s and probably flirted with the 10s as a child. Just said I'd say hello it's a great topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭everyday taxi

graflynn wrote: »
    Both the Xpert & the DESMOND courses are for People with type 2, they're run by the HSE. You can get on them by asking your GP to refer you.

I think i need to enquire about these? My sugar level first thing in the mornin is abt 10-11, and can rise to 14-16 during the day. Does anyone else have this problem....... if i really watch my diet and get levels down to near 6 - 6.5, after a meal it may rise to 12 or 13? Is that normal? Any news, advice much appreciated.

Advertisement