Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIABETICS!!: whats your HBA1c???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Got my HbA1c in - 5.1 They have told me that I can ease off my control slightly. I just feel that I am responsible for my little one's health until they leave me (and afterwards but then I get help).

OMG amazing well done!!!!!!! how do you do it?
    are you hypoing all time??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

eilo1 wrote: »
    Thus the being told to ease off - it gets scary when 3.0 is not even noticed!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

eilo1 wrote: »

Yes, she is...... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Got my HbA1c in - 5.1 They have told me that I can ease off my control slightly. I just feel that I am responsible for my little one's health until they leave me (and afterwards but then I get help).
    Fair play cathy. But i would be a bit concerned about the hypos too. Just wondering what the long term implications are for hypos. When i get a bad one, thankfully not very often, i find my memory poor for a day or two. But the intense paranoia i get is almost funny such as believing my OH is putting stuff in my lucozade that is making me shake so much so i wont drink it:rolleyes:. I have to admit she is a saint:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

just got my june figure. 6.2. Well pleased:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

Just got my last Hba1c this 12 weeks time was spent in Soddy, it was 6.7 which is quite good, but it was up from 6.2 before I went.

I'm amazed it wasn't higher, as I had the odd pancakes butter n maple syrup for breakfast, this ramped up until I was having them most days.

Beef bacon is horrible as well, I was suffering from severe rasher deprivation by the time i got back

My chlorestrol has gone up from 1.9 to 2.9,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Sons clinic this week revealed his HBA1c is at 7.7%.

Not bad for diagnosis in August.

We're getting there! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

my last one was 9 something but I quit smoking and was eating all round me for the last couple of months. I'm doing the dafne course next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Little Mickey

yungwan wrote: »

A good start is half the battle. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Little Mickey

Mine spiraled out of control since I finished work, I was at the clinic on Wednesday of last week (10/11) and it was 9.3% - ouch.

I told them I wanted to start on the basal bolus so they allowed me, I have to say that they weren't so good in giving me information though, maybe because it was nearly 18:00 by the time I was seen! I'm fiddling with it myself and it's definately giving better results than using the novomix but it is a little unpredictible also, I'll figure it soon I hope :)

Anyone who has an android phone, I got a neat little app called "On Track" for keeping track of everything from food, medication, glucose results, keeping notes etc. It'll draw graphs and print excel documents etc for the clinic. I've recorded everything in it so far and it's got me testing a lot more just so I can keep updating it! And of course, it's free :)

• Advertisement

tbh wrote: »
    my last one was 9 something but I quit smoking and was eating all round me for the last couple of months. I'm doing the dafne course next week.
    Would have love to do that course but I do not see me ever having the time.

My last HbA1c was 5.1 (type 1 diabetic) and has stayed around that but have been told that I can ease it a bit (am pregnant).

tbh - am delighted that you are off the cigarettes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

My last HbA1c was 5.1 (type 1 diabetic) and has stayed around that but have been told that I can ease it a bit (am pregnant).

I think they're just jealous too!:D

I think they're just jealous too!:D
    Thanks, I do have a scary amount of low blood sugars though. I have the life of my unborn child and my young son to think about too, not to mention my husband, without his support I would not be able to keep my bloods the way they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My lady is at the clinic Monday week (29th) and im dreading it, i recon they will be between 8.5 and 9.5.

She wont keep a diary and were finding the carb counting very time consuming and have not committed 100% to it yet (keep forgetting to carb count) i know we have to have the carb counting off by heart if she wants to go on the pump. So time to start knuckling down.

yungwan wrote: »

My lady has never been that low, 8.0 the lowest. Well done.

My lady is at the clinic Monday week (29th) and im dreading it, i recon they will be between 8.5 and 9.5.

She wont keep a diary and were finding the carb counting very time consuming and have not committed 100% to it yet (keep forgetting to carb count) i know we have to have the carb counting off by heart if she wants to go on the pump. So time to start knuckling down.
    I was the same at her age and my blood sugars were as high, it is hard to get someone to do it, is there any incentive (financial etc) you could give her?

We've tried but no, she has other more important things to be doing. I thought the consultant would give her a slap on the wrist (a telling off) but he didn't, he talked to her she said she would try but 3 days later she stopped.

Hoping this time the consultant might get it through to her.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Instead of Carb counting all the time, how about for one evening, you sit down and force out a list of her most commonly eaten foods and portions. Do up a recommended dose for these foods, which you can adjust ad lib if you eat more or less than said portion.

It might be easier than carb counting, she might also see that some foods don't have the same effect due to GI and other things. Come back after a fortnight/month and see if there are any foods where it is obvious that she is having hypos/hypers after specifically and then adjust the scale by one unit accordingly.

It IMO would be easier than trying to count every time you have a meal and if done properly she should know just by looking approximately what she needs.

It's worked well for me for awhile, I have fallen of the wagon a few times but generally my control is pretty good and I rarely have to carb count, in fact I can't remember doing so in the last 5/6 years, i just know when I sit down and check my sugars, what I need.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Anyone who has an android phone, I got a neat little app called "On Track" for keeping track of everything from food, medication, glucose results, keeping notes etc. It'll draw graphs and print excel documents etc for the clinic. I've recorded everything in it so far and it's got me testing a lot more just so I can keep updating it! And of course, it's free :)
    Using that myself as well and is one of the best apps I've come across over years of gadgets and such like.
    We've tried but no, she has other more important things to be doing. I thought the consultant would give her a slap on the wrist (a telling off) but he didn't, he talked to her she said she would try but 3 days later she stopped.

Hoping this time the consultant might get it through to her.

Not that I know anything about dealing with kid's, but I know that I'd probably be put off doing something if someone told me that I had to. You tend to only start doing something properly when you've given yourself a reason to. There are I'm sure way of making them think they came up with the reason themselves though.

robinph wrote: »
    Not that I know anything about dealing with kid's, but I know that I'd probably be put off doing something if someone told me that I had to. You tend to only start doing something properly when you've given yourself a reason to. There are I'm sure way of making them think they came up with the reason themselves though.

I hate reverse psychology- but it is damn effective.......

Grindelwald- I'd suggest waiting until she is over the cold fully- and coming up with some fun way for her to actually looking forward to better targets. Alongside reverse psychology- bribery is an excellent tool with kids :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

Grindelwald, I was the teenage diabetic from hell! Trust me doctors giving out will only make her worse. Gentle encouragement, understanding and if possible could she speak to other diabetic teenagers????

I never wanted to take advice from anyone that didnt have the disease as I thought they would not understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Smarten

Get my results tomorrow, not too confident of them being below 10 as have poor control. need to really sort out my diet and stop missing injections :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭xxshebeexx

I got a HBA1C done in the hospital yesterday and was phoned with the results today... 9!! :) This is the first time in two years they've been under 10 :) They've always been between 11 and 13 (shockingly bad, I know) but I've been working really hard on my control and it's finally starting to pay off! The poor lady on the other end of the phone, with all my yaying and excitement!

This is the best incentive to stay on track I've had :):) I want to bring it down even more in the new year! My last test was 11.3 in August, so this is really good for me :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Smarten

I actually am shocked with my results today in a good way. 8.4 I cant remember ever leaving the hospital and thinking thats not too bad :-) I would really like to get it down to 7-7.5 and will be happy with that

@ xxshebeexx , thats really great improvemnet, congrats to you.. Keep it up :-)

Any tips on what you did to get such good results?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭xxshebeexx

Smarten wrote: »
    I actually am shocked with my results today in a good way. 8.4 I cant remember ever leaving the hospital and thinking thats not too bad :-) I would really like to get it down to 7-7.5 and will be happy with that

That's exactly how I was today! I've not once had a good feeling after going for a check up.. it feels great to be happy about it!
    Smarten wrote: »
    @ xxshebeexx , thats really great improvemnet, congrats to you.. Keep it up :-)

Any tips on what you did to get such good results?

Thanks :) I intend to keep going and get it down to seven by the summer!

I used to skip injections all the time. Partly because I was just lazy, partly because I was embarrassed doing it around people and partly because I just hated it. I just tried really hard to make sure I took my Levemir every night to start with, which I used to skip often (very bad, I know).

I asked my family and friends to stop nagging me about it: I needed to find my own motivation to inject and check sugars and be good. I hated being given out to or being told what to do. And I found my motivation and that helped me. And now I've the added incentive: it's working!

I can't face counting carbs or anything like that. It feels to me too much like counting calories: too rigid and too obsessive. Educated guessing is the way to go :) So far, it's working and for the first time since I was diagnosed nearly three years ago, my sugars are behaving on a regular basis!

just back from Dublin, went up for my ladys appointment and they kept us in her hba1c was 9.5 on the quick mahine and 10 in the hospital lab.

thet have found that her bed time snack is keeping her high at night, so now she is on 5 injections a day 1 lantas, and 4 novorapid, started card counting and now working on an insulin carb ratio.

Just remember that the GI of the carbs, is as important as the carbs themselves. The bedtime snack may be keeping her high at night- something earlier in the evening- with a low GI might be a better idea than cancelling her nighttime snack altogether...... A lot of it is trial and error.......

Sites like this (and I do not under any circumstance advocate anyone undertake the GI diet) have handy rough and ready guides to help direct you to low and high GI foods. Link here

American Diabetes Association link explaining diabetes and how the type of carbohydrate affects it here

She wont cut out her bed time snack as she is too hungry, so they are giving her insulin for it,

she is on 26 lantas (8am)
    approx 5 novorapid 8am ( average of approx 50 carbs eaten)
    approx 6 novorapid at 12.30 (average of approx 60 carbs eaten)
    approx 6 novorapid at 17.30 (average of approx 60 carbs eaten)
    and approx 5 novo rapid at 21.00 (average of approx 50 carbs eaten)

I say approx because it depends on how many carbs she eats 60 carbs = 6 units (1:10 ratio, 1 unit of insulin for every 10 carbs, she eats an average of 60 carbs per meal sometimes more sometimes less ) then we are working off a sliding scale + carbs if blood sugars over 10 or under 4.

blood sugars over 10 means carbs + insulin ratio and + 1 unit
    blood sugars over 15 means carbs + insulin ratio and + 2 units
    blood sugars over 20 means carbs + insulin ratio and + 3 units

blood sugars under 4 means carbs + insulin ratio and - .5 of a unit
    blood sugars under 2 means carbs + insulin raio and - 1 unit

No one has mentioned too us about GI, ive added the site to favorites for future reference. The dietitian gave us a handy ap on the ipod carbs and cals cost 3.99 have to download it in a while, looks like it will help us out big time with the carb counting.

The diabetic psychologist wants to see her every time we go up aswell to see how she is getting on. They are not overly concerned but have picked up on her attitude towards me. She classes her self as an equal and wont do anything i tell her and is very argumentative. She see seems to think i hold no authority over her. The diabetic socail worker wants me to see someone down here that will help me help her respect me more.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

She wont cut out her bed time snack as she is too hungry, so they are giving her insulin for it,

she is on 26 lantas (8am)
    approx 5 novorapid 8am ( average of approx 50 carbs eaten)
    approx 6 novorapid at 12.30 (average of approx 60 carbs eaten)
    approx 6 novorapid at 17.30 (average of approx 60 carbs eaten)
    and approx 5 novo rapid at 21.00 (average of approx 50 carbs eaten)

I say approx because it depends on how many carbs she eats 60 carbs = 6 units (1:10 ratio, 1 unit of insulin for every 10 carbs, she eats an average of 60 carbs per meal sometimes more sometimes less ) then we are working off a sliding scale + carbs if blood sugars over 10 or under 4.

blood sugars over 10 means carbs + insulin ratio and + 1 unit
    blood sugars over 15 means carbs + insulin ratio and + 2 units
    blood sugars over 20 means carbs + insulin ratio and + 3 units

blood sugars under 4 means carbs + insulin ratio and - .5 of a unit
    blood sugars under 2 means carbs + insulin raio and - 1 unit

No one has mentioned too us about GI, ive added the site to favorites for future reference. The dietitian gave us a handy ap on the ipod carbs and cals cost 3.99 have to download it in a while, looks like it will help us out big time with the carb counting.

The diabetic psychologist wants to see her every time we go up aswell to see how she is getting on. They are not overly concerned but have picked up on her attitude towards me. She classes her self as an equal and wont do anything i tell her and is very argumentative. She see seems to think i hold no authority over her. The diabetic socail worker wants me to see someone down here that will help me help her respect me more.

Very surprised at the sliding scale they gave you there. Between 4 and 10 I have 3 different doses i would possibly take, also I heard another diabetic saying about this 1:10 ratio but it really depends on the patient.

I'd have words with the nurses about raising either her lantus if shes not having any hypos or refining her sliding scale, so it's more sensitive to changes, like I said 4 to 10 is a huge gap with no adjustments to her scale.

Also as to her attitude that you mentioned, high blood sugars often have a negative effect on my attitude and remember when my control was worse being the most unreasonable man around when it came to decisions/discussions etc. Hopefully as her bloods improve she will realise your trying to help and should be listened to.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Very surprised at the sliding scale they gave you there. Between 4 and 10 I have 3 different doses i would possibly take, also I heard another diabetic saying about this 1:10 ratio but it really depends on the patient.

I'd have words with the nurses about raising either her lantus if shes not having any hypos or refining her sliding scale, so it's more sensitive to changes, like I said 4 to 10 is a huge gap with no adjustments to her scale.

Also as to her attitude that you mentioned, high blood sugars often have a negative effect on my attitude and remember when my control was worse being the most unreasonable man around when it came to decisions/discussions etc. Hopefully as her bloods improve she will realise your trying to help and should be listened to.

Yep im concered that the sliding scale is over 10 but im sure thats just for the time being, they might well change that in a couple of weeks, i had her lantus up as 30 before she was admitted so that might go up again. She has a very stong personality and she does not like being told what to do by me or anyone, she is very independent, which is both good and bad as she is only 11.

Advertisement