Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has commercial radio become too conservative?

• 21-08-2008 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

Is it me or is radio a never ending sea of blandness? Musically its kind of like its always been, but talk radio is more boring than ever.

Is it wrong to want to stuff a hot poker in my ears when I hear the same old boring slants on everything?

Just sayin'!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Well I couldn't agree more. Bland Bland Bland that's all I hear in Dublin these days. Its gone all too safe and repetitive. If its not showbiz gossip its some other woeful links full of she ite. I think we need a good pirate to ruffle a few feathers. Something new and funky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

bbability wrote: »
    Well I couldn't agree more. Bland Bland Bland that's all I hear in Dublin these days. Its gone all too safe and repetitive. If its not showbiz gossip its some other woeful links full of she ite. I think we need a good pirate to ruffle a few feathers. Something new and funky.

I agree, they are all playing to the same format and are basically clones of each other. Pity one of them doesn't take a chance and ditch the repatitive playlists and current format and see what happens. I suppose it would be a big gamble to take for any station but with a bit of thought it could be successful. Many listeners are fed up with the current situation.

A new good pirate would not be tolerated , they would be shut down immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

The Muppet wrote: »
    I agree, they are all playing to the same format and are basically clones of each other. Pity one of them doesn't take a chance and ditch the repatitive playlists and current format and see what happens. I suppose it would be a big gamble to take for any station but with a bit of thought it could be successful. Many listeners are fed up with the current situation.

It's a massive gamble to flip format and do something new. The radio industry is not catering to listeners, because they're just numerical figures for statistitions to linger over... the stations pander moreso to the sales side of things, adverts and whatnot. The current format in radio suits advertisers more then it does anyone else.

I think the first change can come from the regulators... by getting rid of this absolutely ridiculous notion that each station needs a large percentage of airtime dedicated to current affairs, especially now that we have a dedicated national current affairs station. Some of the best radio shows in the states stem from not having so many splits, just ad breaks and live reads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Commercial radio seeks to get the highest possible number of people with disposable income listening such that advertisers can justify paying for 300 30 second spots in a month.

As long as most people in the country are seen as 'conservative' then the stations will match that. The point about endless 'celebrity gossip' is one well made. I find it makes my ears bleed, but i know that it's evidently what the masses want. It also explains why Heat/Hello/OK/VIP magazines sell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Near90fm

it would be remiss of me, not to point out the advantages of community radio. Unlike commercial radio, this other sector of broadcasting provides diversity in music and talk. Granted, it's not too everyone's taste, but then that's the beauty of democratic and not for profit media. Near90fm has a franchise for the North East of Dublin and next week, we will launch our 24 hour radio schedule, but there are almost 30 other community stations around the country, which are operated by staff and volunteers, all with a passion for music and dialogue.

There are many commercial stations that I enjoy listening to, but in the main, I find it tired, bland and heavily formatted. Community radio is a bit like fishing. Sometimes you might have to throw a dud back, but mostly you will (with a little patience) catch a beauty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Joy.fm

This is what I listened to while living in Melbourne (mainly for cheesy pop tunes) but I like the format, they don't take themselves too seriously for the most part but have some good segments. I like the musical segment on Sunday nights.

Could something like this take off here???? I know it's not everyones cup of tea...

http://www.joy.org.au/

Advertisement