Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N96

• 21-08-2008 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I am like a cat on a hot tin roof waiting for the N96. My current phone is sending me subliminal messages to chuck it into the nearest river. I've suffered my 6230i in anticipation.........but now I REALLY need a new phone.

Should I bite the bullet and just take an N95 or will the N96 be so super dooper that I'll be kicking myself if I don't wait!?:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭barry181091

Haha, Me too ! You think your bad.....My current phone is a 6310i, Good ol B&W !

It WILL be so super dooper that you'll be kinking yourself if you dont wait !!!

Cant wait for the cool DVB-H it will have, Dunno when DVB-H is going live here tho :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭trellheim

o2 are running a DVB-H trial .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

N96 has gotten a fair deal of bad reviews.. Personally I would go for the Samsung Omnia, N78, N82 or E71. But if it's the DVB-H you're after, then I suggest you wait for the N96.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

I bought the N78 instead of waiting for the N96, can fault it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

O2 finished their trial. I'd say it will be a long time before any operator starts doing actual DVB broadcasting, if ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

flodis79 wrote: »
    N96 has gotten a fair deal of bad reviews.. Personally I would go for the Samsung Omnia, N78, N82 or E71. But if it's the DVB-H you're after, then I suggest you wait for the N96.. :)
    I don't trust those early reviews, too early to tell in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 w8nomore

For some reason hadn't even known about the samsung omnia! Don't need DVB-H, so maybe the samsung is the one. Would be braving the world beyond Nokia for the first time ever.

Anyone know anymore about the omnia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Excuse my ignorance but what its DVB-H?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 w8nomore

DVB-H is a standard for mobile broadcasting - basically mobile tv.

Re the Omnia I emailed a contact in o2 who asked the "device testing staff".

The reply was
    "It is not currently on our roadmap, but we have been considering it. Samsung have said it will not be available until the end of the year"

So now what?! No N96, no Omnia..... how can I go on :confused:

I've seen them on ebay for about 580, how much do you think I'd save on a gold upgrade, assuming they come out on o2.

Guys could you tell me if its possible that DVB-H could be setup by October ?

Nokia said the N96 will be out on 1st Oct in UK but as far as ive read DVB-H isint launched in UK yet.

Does anyone have any more info on the DVB-H situation ?

• Advertisement

I don't have much info on it other than the fact that theres no chance it will be up by October, sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Guys could you tell me if its possible that DVB-H could be setup by October ?

Nokia said the N96 will be out on 1st Oct in UK but as far as ive read DVB-H isint launched in UK yet.

Does anyone have any more info on the DVB-H situation ?

I think more like 2010....... :(
    Was meant to be here this year but thats the way things go. Hope it will be up 2009 and then fully 2010.

davton wrote: »
    I think more like 2010....... :(
    Was meant to be here this year but thats the way things go. Hope it will be up 2009 and then fully 2010.
    Thanks for that davton !,Is that info from a reliable source ? I dont mean to be rude, Just wondering :)

Now lads dont ask where I got this, but its from an extremely reliable source (And not a low level employee in a retail Voda/02/3 ,lol:D ) that the N96 is coming out here sim-free in . . . *Drum-Roll*

Late November

Well there you have it.... a bit of a bummer though seeing as the UK is getting it on 1st Oct :o

EDIT: Just got some news on the DVB-H situation, as I did my own digging :). o2's trial was very successful (Not my words :)) and that they have to wait for Comreg to get back to them, until then they cannot go any further with it. So it wasnt a bust as I thought before :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Now lads dont ask where I got this, but its from an extremely reliable source (And not a low level employee in a retail Voda/02/3 ,lol:D ) that the N96 is coming out here sim-free in . . . *Drum-Roll*

Late November

Well there you have it.... a bit of a bummer though seeing as the UK is getting it on 1st Oct :o

EDIT: Just got some news on the DVB-H situation, as I did my own digging :). o2's trial was very successful (Not my words :)) and that they have to wait for Comreg to get back to them, until then they cannot go any further with it. So it wasnt a bust as I thought before :P
    Any idea on price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭kirving

I don't know how commercially successful O2's DVB-h trial was, but I got one of their trial handsets(Nokia N92) from someone who was allowed to keep it after the trial was over, and I thought the system was excellent. I would pay a few euro a week to use it.

The only worry I'd have is that they will start charging extortionate amounts to customers, although if you have an N96 you could afford it.

Also, I've had an N78(albiet an Asian version I had to return because of the lack of warranty) and that too is an excellent phone, due to be released here in the next month or so according to Vodafone.

I got nothing on price, but its said on previews before tax -550 euros.

I dont think they are allowed to charge for dvb-h, only on interavtive services. There not in the UK anyway so could be an EU thing.

Just another thing II was wondering, how heavy is dvb-h on the battery, I can imagine myself using it on the bus or train alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

Im gonna have to agree with nismo, Comreg are woefully slow and then the setup time etc wouldm be huge, Unless you live in Dublin city... Then you could have it soon-ish :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

More memory in the N96 than the 8GB N95 so why not choose the N96?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭jessconr

I've got a N95 8gb but the N85 wouldn't be a bad choice as it has a FM transmitter which is very handy for playing music from your phone to your car radio or any other fm radio. Would love to have a fm transmiiter on my phone. Only downside that i see is that its got a smaller screen than the N95 & N96

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

kmart6 wrote: »
    More memory in the N96 than the 8GB N95 so why not choose the N96?!

Quite a noticable price difference. Unless you really need that extra memory, I wouldn't consider the extra money and wait worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Anybody care to speculate on how much this might cost on o2's cheapest plan if they were doing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭jessconr

nialldinho wrote: »
    Anybody care to speculate on how much this might cost on o2's cheapest plan if they were doing it?

at least +€600 i would say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭No_Deal

foobar wrote: »

yeah thats my thinking on the situation.

however i think im sold on the omnia,will have one by christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

NiSmO wrote: »

When comparing the N96 and N85 the only drawback in my mind is the screen size .. but its not that much smaller.

• Advertisement

I've said it before and I'll say it again..

Dont touch the N96!
    Nokia will do the exact same thing they did with the N93 and N95

I got burned shelling out a fortune for an N93 when it first came out only to see the improved N93i released after a few months
    And same thing with N95...to N95 8gb which I had the sense to wait for

Wait until they iron out all the bugs with the N96 and throw in a decent battery and release the N96i 24gb or whatever they decide to call it.

Advertisement