Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Challenge - Split Thread

Options
  • 21-08-2008 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

I definately don't qualify as male but again good luck with the research. I'm right there if you ever need a female runner, cyclist, swimmer or paddler!

Hi hunnymonster, sorry you might be aware of this already, but I thought of you when I saw your little blurb there!

http://www.gapandglenschallenge.com/gap08/

Perhaps some others here on the thread might find it interesting. The cycling is by far the hardest leg of the four (unless of course you can't swim or something!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

That looks interesting oobydooby, may be worth a thread of it's own.

Question- does anyone reckon the bike bit would be doable on a cross bike with 700x35c or 700x38c tyres (no dual brake levers mind.) By someone who has never seriously mountain biked?

Also, is a 2.5km kayak possible for someone who has never kayaked before? (I am guessing this may be a "no" :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

blorg wrote: »
    Question- does anyone reckon the bike bit would be doable on a cross bike with 700x35c or 700x38c tyres (no dual brake levers mind.) By someone who has never seriously mountain biked?
    They specify minimum 1.5inch knobblies. (Have to admit that I don't know the width of 38c tires :o )

Diarmuid wrote: »
    They specify minimum 1.5inch knobblies. (Have to admit that I don't know the width of 38c tires :o )
    It's a measurement in mm; 38mm is exactly 1.5 inches. I'd be using my touring bike with the tyres swapped, it is effectively a cyclocross frame. Apart from the tyres though the bike would obviously handle quite differently (=worse) off-road than a mountain bike and I don't have brake levers on the flats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Thought you might be interested blorg!

I didn't check this year's route, I just threw up the link in a hurry but I did it a few years ago and there was very little off-road (off the top of my head maybe 3km out of 65km). Most of the lads had cyclocross tyres I think - I remember thinking they were road tyres before they left me for dead at the first climb. Somebody told me that some of the lads then carried their bikes for the worst off-road bits (I was so far behind I didn't see them). The terrain was boggy with long grass and there was only one litle stretch of fun downhill offroad. To be honest you'd have been as fast just running with the bike. Afraid I'm not really knowledgeable enough to give more info than that. There were some excellent athletes there but I was with the lads and ladies for whom completing rather than competing was the goal.

As for the kayak, that was most people's or teams' achilles heel. A lot of the competitors could run swim and cycle to some exent (lots of GAA players, police, army etc.) but were new to the kayaks. And then some other lads were on the Irish kayak team! But you (eg blorg) could get on a plastic kayak and go 2.5 km IMHO, the same way you can probably jog 15/20 km without really training. Doubt you'd be able to compete though. Also it was shortened to 1km on the day my year because of poxy weather.

OP - Very sorry I realise this is all off-topic. I offer you a "bump" as recompense and won't comment again on it. Good luck with the research:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

If you want to do it as a relay team blorg, I'd be happy to kayak -used to do an awful lot. 2.5km ain't much, and you should be ok -depending on how often you capsize!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

I'd be very interested in this myself, sent you an email.

let me know......

Cheers to the mods for splitting this out. Smithslist- what discipline were you thinking of (or were you posting on the VO2 max thread?)

Tiny- you may regret that! What would the plan be, I'll volunteer swimming and cycling (definately my preference) if you can do kayaking and running. Or cycling and running / kayaking and swimming if you prefer? Or swimming/cycling/running with you doing the kayak! We might have to negotiate with the organisers as I think they are planning on 4 person teams though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Blorg, Tiny, do the whole thing. Blorg, I only glanced at it but I think I saw that the swim was on flat, non-moving water in which case paddling it will be a piece of p1ss. You might want to practise getting out of a boat with a spray deck on just in case but otherwise, no problems.

I would love to do this but I'm completely taken up with other stuff at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

blorg wrote: »
    Tiny- you may regret that! What would the plan be, I'll volunteer swimming and cycling (definately my preference) if you can do kayaking and running. Or cycling and running / kayaking and swimming if you prefer? Or swimming/cycling/running with you doing the kayak! We might have to negotiate with the organisers as I think they are planning on 4 person teams though.

I'm useless at running, and fairly bad at swimming, but would give the swim and kayak a go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Thanks for splitting it mods. Just to clarify this - I can't take part this year at all but hunnymonster's skill set reminded me of the challenge. I recommend it highly and am happy to take queries or put you in touch with the organisers.

Two points - Tiny and Blorg, people can do as many events as they like. Teams of 4, 3 ,2 and of course individuals. I did the cycle as a team of 4 but we all ran (and the best time counted). Next time I'd like to do the whole thing, it's manageable.

And, the sponsorhip was very steep. 400 euro I think. Now we raised much more than that but bear it in mind. Personally I don't really like badgering people for money (even for excellent causes) but when you're a team it's much easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Diarmuid wrote: »
    It specifies 1.5mm tyres!
    Bike requirements:
    1.5mm off road tyres
    No road slicks or Semi Slicks permitted
    ye gods!

Advertisement