Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bohemians Youth Set up

• 21-08-2008 10:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    ok Bohemians just called me this week to advise that my little fella (5yrs old) impressed the youth couch so much at trials that they want him in the youth system at the club.

So along i went to the meeting tonight to advise me of the set up etc... all seems very good but really i am looking for any advice as to there set up. has anybody got experience of kids going through there system. is it any good?
    What are the coaches like?

Any advice would be great.

Link to my little fella below.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXjQdITxHvw

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

You might get a better response on foot.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Do we not have a pimp my son thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Do we not have a pimp my son thread?

It got overshadowed by the "pimp my daughter" thread on slydice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

BrookieD wrote: »
    Hmmm, I reckon he needs to bulk up a bit.

Srlsy though, looks to be great on the ball. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Bring him up to St.Kevins. Much better youth set up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Nice one... kid looks decent. Up the Bohs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

He made that tree look very ordinary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Bohs are after putting a lot into their youth set up. Great deal with DCU.

More info here http://www.bohemians.ie/index.php/bohemian-fc-youth-section/youthera.htm

Some strange tags on that youtube video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

my own advice which is completely unrelated to the Youth Set up: have the little guy play with a smaller football, that one's way too big for a kid his size.

for a 5 year old he has some serious talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

bohs have an excellent set up, as stated before.
    Mount Merrion are on the up and up.
    You can never go too far wrong with Joeys.
    Someone mentioned st kevins above, they are superb up to mid teens then they seem to lose all their best players to other clubs.

if you were serious enough to look into schools with football as a consideration, St Kilians (www.kilians.com), is fast becoming the "football school" much like the way if your kid is good at rugby you consider sending him to blackrock. For such a small school they have 2 UEFA qualified coaches, and hockey pitches, tennis courts, basketball courts have all been re-designed for 5-a-side, 7-a-side and 11-a-side games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Nah seriosuly though that kid isn't bad, would like to see him in a few years to see how he develops.
    I didn't know they had kids that young involved in leagues. Is thier any teams on the Northside of Dublin that take like Under 8's? My little bro would be very interested in joining. Can you just go along to these training as well.
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Nah seriosuly though that kid isn't bad, would like to see him in a few years to see how he develops.
    I didn't know they had kids that young involved in leagues. Is thier any teams on the Northside of Dublin that take like Under 8's? My little bro would be very interested in joining. Can you just go along to these training as well.
    Cheers

Id say he would have missed a lot of the trials over the last month or so but if you ring around Im sure you can get him in somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'll be interested as to what happens to his progress 10 years from now when he realises girls are more interesting than football. In the meantime get rid of that Keltic jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Pigman II wrote: »
    I'll be interested as to what happens to his progress 10 years from now when he realises girls are more interesting than football. In the meantime get rid of that Keltic jersey.

cheers for the comments. he plays with a smaller ball now and has picked up the skill level another notch. just trying to decide that this is the best move for him. two training sessions a week and a sunday game might be a little much for him? will soon find out i guess

Darren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

If you asked that question a year ago, I wouldn't give this advice.

Bohs have a new Youth Director who is incredibly energetic in developing this part of the club. Additionally, Bohs have brought in a full-time youth organizer, Richard Sutherland, who is second to none. There is a new deal with DCU and kids will have access to the best facilities in the country.

If you read through the strategy, you will see that there is huge emphasis on the development of the player.

I would be very, very careful as to what club I picked for a child this young, and not simply go for the one for whom DDSL success every year is the one and only objective.

SectionF wrote: »
    If you asked that question a year ago, I wouldn't give this advice.

Bohs have a new Youth Director who is incredibly energetic in developing this part of the club. Additionally, Bohs have brought in a full-time youth organizer, Richard Sutherland, who is second to none. There is a new deal with DCU and kids will have access to the best facilities in the country.

If you read through the strategy, you will see that there is huge emphasis on the development of the player.

I would be very, very careful as to what club I picked for a child this young, and not simply go for the one for whom DDSL success every year is the one and only objective.

The young fella tried out for the club and just loved it. liked Richard or the Big Chesse as he calls him. really was looking at this being a "real" club! what ever that is???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Could be the next pele :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

BrookieD wrote: »
    Hi All,
    ok Bohemians just called me this week to advise that my little fella (5yrs old) impressed the youth couch so much at trials that they want him in the youth system at the club.

So along i went to the meeting tonight to advise me of the set up etc... all seems very good but really i am looking for any advice as to there set up. has anybody got experience of kids going through there system. is it any good?
    What are the coaches like?

Any advice would be great.

Link to my little fella below.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXjQdITxHvw

Fantastic little video!

Whatever he does and what level he gets to I hope he enjoys himself.

Fantastic little video!

Whatever he does and what level he gets to I hope he enjoys himself.

first game today, more a shells under 8's against bohs under 7's. Bohs completly destroyed but the little fellas came off the pitch smiling at least.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Shels beat Bohs?

\o/

Yesssssssssssssss!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I heard Sparky ran them ragged...

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    I heard Sparky ran them ragged...

dunno who was playing but you could see the difference a year makes at this level even. they knew the space to occupy and move into. they were willing to move for the ball and run also over the place. only a couple of the bohs lads new what to do without instruction (ie move the ball towards the opposite goal....LOL). Still looking forward to see the progress the team makes in the next year. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Hmmm, me senses I could really,really take the mickey here. But I won't cause I already think this is just a wind up.

Advertisement