Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunters Thompsons Gonzo Tapes set for October Release

Options
  • 21-08-2008 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭

The Gonzo Tapes, a five-disc set of unreleased recordings by Rolling Stone’s own Hunter S. Thompson, will be released on October 28th. Compiled while filmmakers were producing Gonzo: The Life And Work Of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, the audio on The Gonzo Tapes was recorded between 1965 and 1975, with Thompson using the tapes to capture his thoughts and descriptions of what was happening around him or to look back at what he experienced. Thompson’s widow granted permission to director Alex Gibney, producer Eva Orner and archivist Don Fleming to go through the tapes that were stored in boxes in the basement of Thompson’s Woody Creek, Colorado home. Disc 1 on the collection will feature Thompson’s year riding with the Hell’s Angels, Discs 2 and 3 both draw from his novel Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Disc 4 covers Thompson’s exploits between 1973 and 1974 and the fifth disc features his 1975 trip to Saigon. The cover features original artwork by Ralph Steadman and the package will contain essays by Gibney and Thompson’s fellow foreign correspondent Loren Jenkins.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

RonMexico wrote: »
    Disc 1 on the collection will feature Thompson’s year riding with the Hell’s Angels, Discs 2 and 3 both draw from his novel Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Disc 4 covers Thompson’s exploits between 1973 and 1974 and the fifth disc features his 1975 trip to Saigon.
    I can't wait to hear those. The chapter in the book that's just a transcript of those tapes is bizarre.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Wow I really cant wait for these. Should make a nice early Christmas pressie for myself!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭el_tiddlero

yeah they should be gas alright..
    did you guys see that movie yet?? it's deadly - hilariously funny and presents such a great picture of the man himself. .
    nice to see his son and wives speaking so candidly throughout it too.. a fitting tribute.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I haven't seen it yet but have been looking forward to it. Definite purchase for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Yeah I saw it. I thought it was a really lazy effort by Gibney to be honest. An awful lot of the footage I had seen before. Gibney culls all the good footage from other better documentaries such as Wayne Ewings Breakfast With Hunter and When I Die along with the BBC's Fear and Loathing in Gonzovision. It is basically all the same talking heads from the other documentaries too. There was nothing new in it for me apart from the audio from the Gonzo Tapes. Considering all the material he had to work with it comes across as piss poor - effort wise. A much much better film could have been made if he had bothered.

As for The Gonzo Tapes - I think they will be a real treasure trove. You actually get the conversations between Hunter & Oscar. It is cool to hear what Oscar actually sounded like. Can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

Oh dear God! The man is dead why cant we all just move on.

I am a fan, a big fan and have been for years, I have read just about everything I could get my hands on but now he is dead and all this cashing in on his memory is making me feel ill.

I am thinking of writing a book based on my memories of reading his books-would you buy that!

No because it is not relevant. The documentary and audio tapes are. Thompson expressed a desire to have these tapes released. If you have read all that you have claimed to then you would know that these tapes are a very important part of his legacy and central to the creation of Gonzo Journalism. Would you rather the man was totally ignored now that he is dead?

The man is, was and always shall be a Legend. Thompson may have expressed a desire to have these tapes released-but that would have been while he was alive to have final say on the editing and presentation not as some hack job cash in.

This bull s**t is the type of crap that he spent his whole writing life ripping the pi*s from.

That whirring noise you here is the Doctor spinning in his metaphorical grave.

okmqaz42 wrote: »
    The man is, was and always shall be a Legend. Thompson may have expressed a desire to have these tapes released-but that would have been while he was alive to have final say on the editing and presentation not as some hack job cash in.

This bull s**t is the type of crap that he spent his whole writing life ripping the pi*s from.

That whirring noise you here is the Doctor spinning in his metaphorical grave.

So I take it you were there when Thompson discussed the release of these tapes yeah? In fact he planned the release of a lot of his material, including these tapes, with historian Douglas Brinkley, a professional he trusted 100%. What evidence have you that it is "some hack job cash in". Thompson was meticulous about ensuring that his archives would be properly looked after and had the utmost faith in Brinkley doing it properly. If Brinkley were not in charge there would be a flood of Thompson's unpublished material dumped on the market - instead it is being carefully mapped out over the next few years.

You don't know what you are talking about.

Well RonMexico what evidence do you have that it is not some hack job cash in.
    If there was such interest in these tapes Hunter would not have had any difficulty in getting them published while he was alive. The man was an egotist and a hack that re-published the same work repeatedly throughout his life. If someone had shown a sniff of interest in this work he would have released it himself.

My evidence for some hack job cash in comes from-and this is just the tip of the iceberg:
    The Gonzo Way: A Celebration of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson by Anita Thompson and Douglas Brinkley
    Charlie Rose - Gonzo:The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson; by Michael Mandelbaum
    Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride by Nick Nolte
    The Kitchen Readings: Untold Stories of Hunter S. Thompson by Michael Cleverly and Bob Braudis
    Breakfast With Hunter by Wayne Ewing
    Gonzo: The Life of Hunter S. Thompson by Corey Seymour
    The Joke's Over: Bruised Memories: Gonzo, Hunter S. Thomp... by Ralph Steadman
    When The Going Gets Weird : The Twisted Life and Times of Hunter S. Thompson : A Very Unauthorized Biography (Paperback)

RonMexico, I will make sure and get you an advance copy of my book about the time I discussed the cash in on the death of Dr Thompson. My working title is "I bought the ticket and took the ride, a cash in on the life of Hunter Thompson"

• Advertisement

Well RonMexico what evidence do you have that it is not some hack job cash in.
    If there was such interest in these tapes Hunter would not have had any difficulty in getting them published while he was alive. The man was an egotist and a hack that re-published the same work repeatedly throughout his life. If someone had shown a sniff of interest in this work he would have released it himself.

My evidence for some hack job cash in comes from-and this is just the tip of the iceberg:
    The Gonzo Way: A Celebration of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson by Anita Thompson and Douglas Brinkley
    Charlie Rose - Gonzo:The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson; by Michael Mandelbaum
    Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride by Nick Nolte
    The Kitchen Readings: Untold Stories of Hunter S. Thompson by Michael Cleverly and Bob Braudis
    Breakfast With Hunter by Wayne Ewing
    Gonzo: The Life of Hunter S. Thompson by Corey Seymour
    The Joke's Over: Bruised Memories: Gonzo, Hunter S. Thomp... by Ralph Steadman
    When The Going Gets Weird : The Twisted Life and Times of Hunter S. Thompson : A Very Unauthorized Biography (Paperback)

RonMexico, I will make sure and get you an advance copy of my book about the time I discussed the cash in on the death of Dr Thompson. My working title is "I bought the ticket and took the ride, a cash in on the life of Hunter Thompson"

Wow did you just discover Amazon.com? Or are you just one of those ill-informed idiots with a chip on their shoulder who dismiss Thompson as "that guy from Rolling Stone." Show me one writer who isn't an egotist. As for your claim that he was a hack - yeah ok - when you publish as many bestsellers as Thompson come back and try and make a case and maybe some idiot will take you seriously.

Your hack job cash-in list tells me you know jack-**** about Thompson.

Charlie Rose? Do you even know who Charlie Rose is? Why not check out his website and look up the hundreds of other interviews on DVD that the man has released and then tell me how this is some cash-in by Thompsons estate. Charlie Rose actually conducted some very good interviews with Thompson so I guess he must apologise for releasing them to the public.

Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride is not by Nick Nolte and had nothing to do with Thompsons estate.

The Kitchen Readings has nothing to do with Thompsons estate.

Breakfast With Hunter is a fantastic documentary which was made and released with Thompsons permission while he was alive and thank god for that because it is brilliant.

Gonzo is by Jann S. Wenner and Corey Seymour and has nothing to do with Thompsons estate and was criticised by Thompsons wife on her blog.

Ralph Steadman played a crucial role in Thompsons Gonzo Journalism and as the mans creative partner for over 30 years he is goddamn entitled to write about it. The book had nothing to do with Thompsons estate.

When The Going Gets Weird: A Very UNAUTHORISED Biography- The title Gives It Away don't ya think?

The Gonzo Way - By His Wife - helllooooo she can write whatever the hell she wants about her husband who the **** are you to criticize her.

Since Thompsons death there has been only 1 - thats right 1 official release and that was a collection of Thompsons photography which was widely praised upon its release with exhibits worldwide. He worked on it right up until his death, as he had on a whole lot more which will also be released according to his wishes. There is serious interest in The Gonzo Tapes and they were only rediscovered recently when experts went through his archives which were immense - 800 boxes of material in total, and there is a massive bidding war for them at the moment from Universities across America. Not bad for a hack who repeated himself endlessly.

First of all RonMexico the point in an argument/discussion when you need to start calling someone an idiot is the point where you have lost. But I will persevere with you for the minute because if nothing else you amuse me.

I am glad to read that you too have heard about Amazon. You may be interested to know that they sell books by authors that are not Hunter Thompson or indeed not trying to make a fast buck from his memory. Can I recommend anything from the “not by Hunter Thosmpson or living of his memory” section.

I have not dismissed the work of the great Gonzo just suggested that it is time for the vultures to F*** Off.

I stand by the list; most of your comments are irrelevant and only add weight to my argument that there has been enough cashing in.

Charlie “don’t worry I will take it easy on you” Rose-cash in.
    “Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride” by Nick Nolte –who made the expression famous I will give you a clue his initials are HST-hack job cash in.

The Kitchen Readings=hack job cash in.

Ralph Steadman’s almost unreadable hack job cash in-Jesus I could go on but life is too short.

You are missing the point if HST could get this stuff published he would have.

First of all RonMexico the point in an argument/discussion when you need to start calling someone an idiot is the point where you have lost. But I will persevere with you for the minute because if nothing else you amuse me.

I am glad to read that you too have heard about Amazon. You may be interested to know that they sell books by authors that are not Hunter Thompson or indeed not trying to make a fast buck from his memory. Can I recommend anything from the “not by Hunter Thosmpson or living of his memory” section.

I have not dismissed the work of the great Gonzo just suggested that it is time for the vultures to F*** Off.

I stand by the list; most of your comments are irrelevant and only add weight to my argument that there has been enough cashing in.

Charlie “don’t worry I will take it easy on you” Rose-cash in.
    “Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride” by Nick Nolte –who made the expression famous I will give you a clue his initials are HST-hack job cash in.

The Kitchen Readings=hack job cash in.

Ralph Steadman’s almost unreadable hack job cash in-Jesus I could go on but life is too short.

You are missing the point if HST could get this stuff published he would have.

Hahahahahahahaha please step away from the computer before I die laughing or how about you just go to the count to 1million thread - its more in line with your thinking (lack of).

Oh yeah you also claim to have not dismissed his work...ok yeah does this ring a bell pinhead -

"The man was an egotist and a hack that re-published the same work repeatedly throughout his life."

I'll call out an idiot when I see one whether you like it or not.

Stalker

^^^^^^^^^^Weakest comeback ever :pac:

Gonzo Tracklist:

Disc 1 - Hell’s Angels:

Bass Lake Run . . . Terry The Tramp Interview #1 . . . Driving Back Through Oakland . . . The Merry Pranksters Welcome The Hell’s Angels . . . It’s A Long Dirty Story . . . Ha-Ha, Not Thump-Thump . . . Terry The Tramp Interview #2 . . . Zing Zong Wing Ding Rush . . . A Question For The Ages

Disc 2 - Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

We Have Seized The High Ground . . . One Toke Over The Line . . . If All Else Fails We Must Get Ether . . . In Search Of The American Dream . . . Terry’s Taco Stand, USA . . . Anybody In Search Of The American Dream Needs A Lawyer, A Doctor And A Bodyguard

Disc 3 - More Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Goddamn! This Monster’s Licking My Arm! . . . Oscar Fled In Terror . . . Drug Up . . . Weird Road . . . Across This Treacherous Sand . . . A Huge Tidal Wave Will Come In On Me Now . . . Vegas D.A. Final Notes . . . The Whole Room Is Total Chaos . . . Wenner Calls . . . With A Big “W” in 65-Pt Type

Disc 4 - Gonzo Gridlock 1973-1974

Guts Ball . . . Cozumel . . . Fear And Loathing In Acapulco . . . Freud Cocaine Papers . . . Fear And Loathing In Kinshasa

Disc 5 - Fear and Loathing in Saigon

I’m The One That’s Supposed To Be Crazy . . . Hotel Continental Palace . . . The Thursday Night Panic . . . Last Stand At Xuan Loc . . . Hong Kong . . . The Last Dispatch From Saigon

Jesus I can’t wait to get my hands on this !!

Advertisement