Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duty free in Sydney

Options
  • 21-08-2008 10:21pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Heading to Oz in a few weeks and was told that I could buy duty-free stuff (alcohol & cigs) on arrival in Sydney.

Is this true?

Arriving at 0615 if it makes a difference (maybe the shops aren't open?).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

SteveC wrote: »
    Heading to Oz in a few weeks and was told that I could buy duty-free stuff (alcohol & cigs) on arrival in Sydney.

Is this true?

Arriving at 0615 if it makes a difference (maybe the shops aren't open?).
    I guess you can
    Opens 6am - 10pm
    http://www.sydneyairportshopping.com.au/faqindex.aspx
    How much Duty Free can I purchase?

As of February 1, 2005, the duty free purchase allowances in Australia have increased. Travellers entering Australia are entitled to the allowances described below.

General
    The limit is now AU$900 worth of goods (AU$450 for people under 18) including gifts, souvenirs, cameras, electronic equipment, leather goods, perfume concentrates, jewellery, watches and sporting equipment. Alcohol and tobacco products cannot be included in this allowance.

These goods can be:

* obtained overseas
    * purchased in Australia duty or tax free before departure
    * goods for which a tax refund has been approved through the Tourist Refund Scheme; or
    * purchased from an inwards duty free shop on arrival.

Alcohol
    2.25 litres of alcoholic beverages for each passenger aged 18 years or over.

Tobacco
    250 cigarettes, or 250 grams of cigars or tobacco products for each passenger aged 18 years or over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Thanks hussey - good info.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Yeah

With the way airport security is gone . You would not be able to buy Alcohol or bottles over the 100ml in any other airport duty free on your way becasue they would be taken off you .

So you can buy your Alcohol in the Duty Free in Sydney / Melbourne airports.

The Duty free shops are just before visa n passport controls .

On your way out of Australia

You can also check

Downtown Duty Free is the easiest way to do your duty free shopping if you’re short on time - just pre-order your duty free goods from the Downtown Duty Free website (they have a good selection of cameras and watches), and then collect them at the airport as you depart.

Hope this helps

Advertisement