Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can one leave school for a year before going into Transition/5th year?

Options
  • 21-08-2008 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭

Didn't know where to post this so mods feel free to move it to an appropriate catagory if you wish....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,442 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You could, but you would need to be old enough (it was 15, I think it was increased to 16 a few years ago) and have parental permission. That is unless some form of alternative schooling was provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Yes, the age on is compelled to attend school till 16, after that youre free to leave (with appropriate permission)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

i'm just curious as to why would you want ot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Signature

Why? My friend took a year off school after 3rd to try a year as an apprentice. He did this instead of transition year and I don't know whether or not he'll continue with the job or finish off school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Fad wrote: »
    Yes, the age on is compelled to attend school till 16, after that youre free to leave (with appropriate permission)

That's not quite true......

The rule for compulsory attendance is that you must be in school until you are 16 or have three years of second level education completed (and here's the important bit!!), whichever comes last.

The jist of that is that essentially you can't leave until you're 16 and have 3 years completed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement