Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is latin useful in learning biology terms?

Options
  • 21-08-2008 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭

well? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Yes, but not really worth the effort... Oo
    It's kinda like asking if French is handy for home economics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭cheekay

is it heck....theres prob 30 latin terms tops in bio course.Not worth learnin latin for. The words get stuck in your head anyway.When a teacher refers to bread mould its rhizopus she uses so thats the word you get used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I really doubt that it would help in any big way, Biology terms(well the ones that ive come across) are adequately explained on the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Ehm....no!
    All that time it takes to learn Latin would be much better spent revising your Biology! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

Nope not in the slightest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

..what latin terms are on the course? They mention the names of a few plants in passing alright, but those aren't necessary to get 100% in every test.

raah! wrote: »
    ..what latin terms are on the course? They mention the names of a few plants in passing alright, but those aren't necessary to get 100% in every test.

First thing I thought of was "Medulla oblangata"

Actually, nothing else comes to mind! Been over a year since I last looked at a Biology book :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Ah yeah, and the cerebullum too. Sweet, so you'll have those two words down with your latin skillz.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

only for a few, otherwise not worth the effort involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

pathway33 wrote: »
    well? :D

Dunno, but knowing the Greek alphabet is very handy for maths! ;)

(Especially when you encounter university lecturers who perversely try to confuse students by using similar-looking but not quite identical greek letters "ksi" and "zeta" in the same equation on the blackboard! Although this is not quite as bad as using "i" and "iota" (which is an "i" without a dot) to mean two completely different things in the same equation.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

On the first day of fifth year my maths teacher gave us each a copy of the greek alphabet...

Talk about confusing... using the two different forms of phi in the same equation. (Mutter mutter.)

Dunno, but knowing the Greek alphabet is very handy for maths! ;)

Yeah and it's handy for Physics aswell. The Greek alphabet is included as an appendix in college Physics books.It was even in the Leaving Cert book, if I remember corectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Latin and greek can be quite handy for remembering the binomial names for species. They're a great academic endeavour in their own right too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Yeah and it's handy for Physics aswell. The Greek alphabet is included as an appendix in college Physics books.It was even in the Leaving Cert book, if I remember corectly.

If it wasn't for physics, I wouldn't know the Greek alphabet as well as I do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

I sincerely doubt Latin will help in the slightest. There are like tops ten names you need to know on the course, so if you are taking latin for the sole reason of biology, then dont bother, because the extra time you spend at it will probably have an adverse affect on your other grades if anything

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Being a biology student in college, latin won't really help you. The only thing it will help you to do is say the word in the right manner and where the word comes from.

Advertisement