Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it possible?

• 21-08-2008 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

I've accepted multimedia apps & dev in W.I.T. I was offered my top level 8 choice but sadly I didn't want it anymore because of that I obviously don't get offered any courses further down.

What i'm asking is, is it possible for me to get into either the applied computing course of the computer forensics course by me ringing the W.I.T to ask. I fully meet the requirements so that won't be an issue. I'm just curious whether its possible?

Cheers,

Edit: I did apply for both of those but can't be offered them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Can't give you a yes or no answer to be honest mate, I'd say you would get to change to computer forensics because the points went down this year which would seem to indicate that the course isn't in demand.

Appplied computing usually has a decent amount of students so that may be a little harder. Did you get through to the college yet?

I'd say you should be able to in all fairness.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

Planning to call them tomorrow. I presume I ring the head of sciences dept?..

My hope is to get forensics and I did notice the points drop so fingers crossed they work some wonders for me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Similar situation another user had, but most people never tell us what happens. Course transfers seem common and there seems to be room in the course. You meet the requirements, so I dont see the problem.

The course leader for Applied Computing is Mariead Meagher and John Sheppeard is Computer Forensics. The School of Science will direct you on what to do I would imagine. Let us know how you get on :)

Tried calling the school of science no answer.. left name and number can't imagine me getting call before Monday anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

What time did you call? Iv had similar issues getting through to them in the past, but its usually because there busy. The number I have for them is 051 302037. Afaik, there is definately someone in the office but they have a long lunch break.

Alternatively, contact reception at 051 302000. There back working now anyway.

• Advertisement

Rang about 12ish no answer figured might be away for lunch. Then I rang about 2:30ish still no answer

I got through just there and I was told it isn't possible, she gave me a spiel about the inner workings of cao which of course i'm well aware of and flat out said there is no chance of changing course.

There lunch, I think, is 12-2. or 12.30-2. Not sure which. The office is open till 4.30. Might have been late back or something :)

EDIT: Just seen your post. Sounds like you just got them in a bad mood, there normal very nice! Try emailing the course leader Mariead Meagher mmeagher@wit.ie for Applied Computing or jsheppeard@wit.ie (known not to reply to emails though) for Foreniscs.

Tbh, that's a slow process. What I would do is contact the Students Union (in addition to the email) and ask to speak to the lad who is now doing Education (his name escapes me!) - I think the direct number for education is 086-8159888. Either that, or ring the office at 051-378390. Iv seen lads get into courses that haven't met requirements, so I cant see why they wont let you in if the space is there.

Right I've sent an email to john and I'm going to ring the student union office Monday cause no one answered there.

Cheers for the help btw :)

Okay, well the mobile might be the quicker route but its late Friday so its probably no use unless you want peace of mind! :)

Keep us updated anyway! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 collywolly123

Try ringing the CHART offices too,
    You will find the number at wit.ie,
    I changed my course in First year within my first week of college it was absolutly no problem because i had the points. I was in your posititon completley..got the points for my first choice but had changed my mind over the summer break. i explained to CHART that my course wasnt for me and Once id spoken to the head of the business school I was able to join the other course the following day,
    Good luck :)

Roger that I'll ring them too.

Cheers.

Try ringing the CHART offices too,
    You will find the number at wit.ie,
    I changed my course in First year within my first week of college it was absolutly no problem because i had the points. I was in your posititon completley..got the points for my first choice but had changed my mind over the summer break. i explained to CHART that my course wasnt for me and Once id spoken to the head of the business school I was able to join the other course the following day,
    Good luck :)

Ah yes, forgot about chart - id call them before going to the Students Union (use them more as a last resort usually). There number is; 051 302758

Thanks for reminding me of them. Chart are usually very helpful and friendly. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 protective

Xyo wrote: »
    I got through just there and I was told it isn't possible, she gave me a spiel about the inner workings of cao which of course i'm well aware of and flat out said there is no chance of changing course.

afaik once u "register" for the course and u are on the colleges register,changing is then possible as its out of CAO'S hands...but prior to registration in sept its more difficult.

i had this conversation with a head of department already and above is what i was told..i have accepted computer forensics and was considering changing and was basically told it is possible if there is room on the course..

protective wrote: »
    afaik once u "register" for the course and u are on the colleges register,changing is then possible as its out of CAO'S hands...but prior to registration in sept its more difficult.

Ya that makes sense I suppose.
    i had this conversation with a head of department already and above is what i was told..i have accepted computer forensics and was considering changing and was basically told it is possible if there is room on the course..

Why didnt you switch? If you have the requirements and room is available, why not take the move?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 protective

Sully wrote: »
    Ya that makes sense I suppose.

Why didnt you switch? If you have the requirements and room is available, why not take the move?

i may change yet,not decided..i am a mature student and applied to WIT for 3 courses...comp forensics,physics and applied computing,was offered all 3,so was told(by that head of department) accept my first choice which i did(comp forensics) and then make a change if i wanted..(availability depending of course)

I think the courses should have plenty of room, from what im told :)

Advertisement