Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trouble starting 320d

Options
  • 21-08-2008 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

I'm having trouble starting my 2000 320d first thing in the mornings. After I manage to start it I'll have no more problems for the day. I have to hold it turning over for a good while before it will start and it will belch out a big cloud of smoke. Anyone got an idea what the problem is?

Regards Trev

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

What mileage is on the clocks.

Glow plugs need to be changed?

Do a double glow - switch on the ignition for a few seconds, switch it off repeat again and then start.

I didnt realise that you have to switch on the ignition on a diesel for a couple of seconds before starting the car.

Is the EML (Engine Management Light) coming on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 320dbimmer

Hi Trev,

I am experiencing the same, i have just recently imported a 02 320d touring (106,000), it seems since the cold snap of late im finding that the car will not start in the morning. I have to jump it with leads. I have fully charged the battery last night but its still the same. I dont know really to much about cars. The engine will turn over for most of the day but if i leave it for a couple of hours it might take two turns on the ignition. What would any of you advise....would it be better for me to get a diagnostic check done...any one know of a BMW speaciallist in the south east (waterford) that i could get my car checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Glow Plug change required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 320dbimmer

Thanks very much for the quick reply, could i pick up glow plugs in halfords or do i need to goto a main bmw dealer.

Thanks in advance

If you ask them in Halfrauds for a set, they'll probably sell you a tube for a mountain bike - they have the IQ of an Iceberg in there.

Also, i just re-read you post. You bettery may need replacing too. May not have enough crank to turn over the engine in low minus temps - tho', it might be fine now in a few days. It just was extremely cold there for the last few morns,
    -12 on my temp gauge. You can get your battery tested - again a local garage can do this and recommend.

Re; Glow plugs if required. Go to you local motor factors - and get them to check their reference books and sell you a good quality set. Any good non-main dealer can fit these. No big deal involved or major expense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

100k miles or 5 years is the time to change your glow plugs for most diesel cars. The reason your car is hard to start for both posters is because your glow plugs are old and tired they are not reaching the correct temprature to start the car therefore drawing on the battery a bit more and more until the battery decides its had enough.

Look at this link for a cold start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb2ksEpCFnA&feature=related

Best place to go for a set of glow plugs is your local motor factors. Halfords will rip you off.

If you have the time to check the resistance of your plugs with multimeter they should read 1.3 for a good plug and 0.7 for a bad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

@320dbimmer there is nothing to suggest that you need glow plugs. Your battery's knackered plain and simple.

@320dbimmer there is nothing to suggest that you need glow plugs. Your battery's knackered plain and simple.

For the OP, thats not the case imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

For the OP, thats not the case imho.

agreed

Advertisement