Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dentist suggested I take valium. Thoughts?

• 22-08-2008 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭

I've never been the biggest fan of dentists, to put it mildly. Today, I forced myself to go see one for the first time in 5 years, not because I knew it was about time I went but because a filling had come a cropper.

I ended up going to a new dentist (the one I used to go to is retired) and I was so nervous that the staff in the place spotted it a mile off. The dentist couldn't have been nicer but I was so wound up that I started gagging when she put the plastic thing in my mouth for taking x-rays and when she put in a temporary filling, I physically twitched in the chair a couple of times. I've never been a relaxed dental patient but I've never been as wound up or terrified as I was today. I know part of it was because I was worried that one of my teeth was in danger of being extracted (it's OK thankfully) but it still doesn't explain why I was as bad as I was.

I have to have 3 fillings done soon. The dentist suggested to me that perhaps I should ask my GP for valium to take before I get the fillings done. I know I gave a bad impression of myself to the dentist and that I've never been as ultra-nervous before but I'm wondering is valium a bit much? To be honest, I don't want to go down the road of taking valium and its ilk but equally, I don't want to be a trembling bundle of nerves in the chair or it'll do nobody any good.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't think one, low dosage valium is really a problem if you were reacting that badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Dentalphobe

Go with the valium, it works. give it a good hour to kick in though & bring a friend to drive in case you are like me & a total lightweight!

I never would have taken valium to go to the dentist until a friend reccomended it & now i'm so glad i did. its for nerves & you are obviously nervous, so why not? its very unlikely that you will become dependant on it if you treat it responsibly.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Yeah take it OP - it might help you to get used to the dentist so you're not so stressed out the next time you have to go. I have a thyroid prob and used to freak out when people touched my neck(its funny now :D ) - the first time i had a ultrasound i was scared stiff - now they're able to jab needles in there and i don't mind. Once you get used to it you'll find it easier so take the pill and chill :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭the_god_swan

And if your worried about becoming hooked id be kind enough the take the left overs off your hands... ;)

Advertisement