Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Office XP on Vista

• 22-08-2008 4:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Can Microsoft Office XP Professional run on Vista?

And is it possible to install Office on a new computer when I have installed it on an old computer a few years ago? Or is it necessary to buy a new copy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Depends on the licence you got from M$, if its a Student etc licence then you can put it on 3 PCs but normally you'd have to buy a new copy to be licence compliant

MC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Depends on the licence you got from M$, if its a Student etc licence then you can put it on 3 PCs but normally you'd have to buy a new copy to be licence compliant

MC
    But if he ensures it's no longer on the old machine, and once it was not a OEM copy (came with the machine, and is tied to it, like WinXP/Vista in most residental machines) it should be ok.

If the above is no go, try OpenOffice.org, should be every bit the same as Office XP, but is free and about 100mb download.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

macgowan wrote: »
    Yup. I run office 2000 on vista no problem.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

yes
    Or is it necessary to buy a new copy?
    as posted before
    you can MOVE a non-OEM copy to another machine

the student version may allow installing on three pc's but only if you are entitled to use it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭macgowan

Ok thanks. I don't think it's Student... as in it has Access and stuff...
    But if he ensures it's no longer on the old machine...

Not actually planning on removing it from the old machine... Do they actually verify this somehow?

And is OpenOffice really just as good as MS in virtually every aspect? I would be using it almost exclusively for Word, so Powerpoint, etc aren't particularly important.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ok thanks. I don't think it's Student... as in it has Access and stuff...
    the box/license would tell you, if you don't have them then you can't anyway

Not actually planning on removing it from the old machine... Do they actually verify this somehow?
    not at this time , but they have the ability to do this when you use officeupdate or microsotupdate and the license agreement gives them lots of legal rights against you. IMHO the poor copy protection on older versions is more or less entrapment BUT you are breaking laws so it's a no-no.
    And is OpenOffice really just as good as MS in virtually every aspect? I would be using it almost exclusively for Word, so Powerpoint, etc aren't particularly important.
    the OO interface is closer to office XP than office 2007 is. Office XP won't read files from OO or office 2007 unless you change the default "save as" format or download an update. OO reads broken msoffice files that msoffice can't.

unless you are using very advanced features or things like tables that get broken when you change versions of msoffice then openoffice would do

Advertisement