Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Mobile Broadband wont work on Windows Vista

Options
  • 22-08-2008 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

Hi All.

I've have the 3 mobile broadband for about 9 months now (not without its troubles!!!) and i was running it on my windows xp laptop. I managed to pick up one of those half price laptops in tesco (windows vista) and took it out of the box yester and tried to use the 3 mobile broadband but it said that the modem was invalid.

Why wont it run on windows vista and is there anyway to make it work (change settings etc)

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Upgrade to XP, Vista has huge problems and offers nothing extra over XP pro. The Vista Home Basic has LESS features than XP.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

Am assuming it's the little original USB dongle with the USB cord coming out of it as opposed to the pen drive type device.
    There was a problem with these on Vista - you need to update the device firmware using an XP box first.
    For the record - the device is a Huawei E220

Here's a link with more info on getting it working.
    http://www.mobilebroadbandrocks.com/usb-modem-huawei-e220-on-vista-finally

Did this with my Brother In Law's one and it works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Hi there

I've heard that Vista isnt great but i dont want to go the bother of re-installing windows XP, probably cos i wouldnt have the slightest notion on how to go about it.

I'll try that this evening, i'm not very tech minded so i doubt it'll go well the first couple of attempts!!

Ah well...........i'll try :p

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Jiggs

There is NOTHING wrong with vista. Only people who don't know what they are talking about or have heard it from others say so. The same was said about XP. Its 'cool' to bash microsoft products. Check out any nerdy forums and you'll see that vista is liked by those in the know. 99% of people who hate vista only do so cos of what they hear. Then they tell the next person, and so on. With noone having actually tried or even seen it.
    Check our the Mojave microsoft experiment. People scoring vista a 1/10, then being shown a new OS (which is actually vista) and scoring that OS 10/10. They didnt even know they were seeing vista, they only scored it so low cos of what they heard. After seeing Mojave (actually vista) they loved it.

Im just replying to this cos I get a little fed up with people bad mouthing vista for no good reason.

i have only got my laptop a couple of days so i can only say what i've heard from other people. i'l make up my own mind when i get using it for a while but the laptop is no use to me if the broadband wont work on it. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Jiggs

If you call 3, they tend to be quite helpful in fixing the vista issue. I know a few people who use it on vista with no problem, probably cos they came with the newer firmware.

Rang 3 on friday evening. was on the phone for 45 mins but surprisingly they were very helpful. still didnt resolve the issue though. It comes up now so that i can connect but when i try to connect it says "Cant create RasEntry" or something like that. anyone know what this means?
    he said (from 3) that i'd have to take it back to the laptop manufacturer...

Jiggs wrote: »
    There is NOTHING wrong with vista. Only people who don't know what they are talking about or have heard it from others say so. The same was said about XP. Its 'cool' to bash microsoft products. Check out any nerdy forums and you'll see that vista is liked by those in the know. 99% of people who hate vista only do so cos of what they hear. Then they tell the next person, and so on. With noone having actually tried or even seen it.
    Check our the Mojave microsoft experiment. People scoring vista a 1/10, then being shown a new OS (which is actually vista) and scoring that OS 10/10. They didnt even know they were seeing vista, they only scored it so low cos of what they heard. After seeing Mojave (actually vista) they loved it.

Im just replying to this cos I get a little fed up with people bad mouthing vista for no good reason.

The mojave experiment is not a real user test, it's marketing.
    Vista is poorer performance and not a single needed feature over XP pro. Vista Home Basic is less features.

There may be nothing wrong (contentious) with it, but there is no reason to upgrade and many not too.

It's the worst release since ME, and Windows7 is no better. Bloatware.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I've used both XP X64 and Vista X64 and right now at least one machine is having XP x64 put on it instead of Vista. There are huge issues with drivers on Vista, which is probably where the OP's problem comes from. I'm sure Vista is better technologically on some levels, but performance and compatability aren't them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

watty wrote: »
    The mojave experiment is not a real user test, it's marketing.
    Vista is poorer performance and not a single needed feature over XP pro. Vista Home Basic is less features.

There may be nothing wrong (contentious) with it, but there is no reason to upgrade and many not too.

It's the worst release since ME, and Windows7 is no better. Bloatware.
    I agree with you that out of the box vista is crap.

Once the crap is turned off though I find it better than xp for stability and features.
    And no, Vista's new aesthetically pleasing features mean nothing to me. I use windows 2000 classic theme.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There is NOTHING wrong with vista.

There's plenty wrong with Vista, and I've used Home Basic and Ultimate. Most of Vista's problems are the sheer bloat, and driver incompatibility. When the E220 3G modems were first introduced, they didn't work with Vista at all. There was an update to this, which seemingly fixed it, but there may well be other issues, and this is something the OP is seeing.

jmccrohan wrote: »
    I agree with you that out of the box vista is crap.

Once the crap is turned off though I find it better than xp for stability and features.
    And no, Vista's new aesthetically pleasing features mean nothing to me. I use windows 2000 classic theme.

Most OS out of box are poor. I have SAME install of XP as over 6 years ago. With the rubbish turned off/uninstalled. Mines more stable than Ubuntu or OS X.

I'm hardly the average joe when it comes to PC setups though. I've used UNIX since 1985 and Linux since 1998, NT since 1994 (3.5, 3.51, 4) XP is 5.1 and Server 2003 is 5.2 and Windows 2K is 5.0. Vista is NT 6.0 with the soul of ME

He needs to either upgrade the E220 Firmware on XP & download Vista drivers, or Upgrade to XP, OS X or Linux (E220 works perfect on all of them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

dlambirl wrote: »
    Rang 3 on friday evening. was on the phone for 45 mins but surprisingly they were very helpful. still didnt resolve the issue though. It comes up now so that i can connect but when i try to connect it says "Cant create RasEntry" or something like that. anyone know what this means?
    he said (from 3) that i'd have to take it back to the laptop manufacturer...
    other people have had similar issue to you on a different thread but i am not sure if it was their laptop or the modem that was at fault.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53527707&postcount=21

Sometimes a symptom of not being logged in as administrator.

RAS = remote access service
    3G/HSDPA driver install creates custom dialup networking entries.

I've tried to upgrade the firmware (havent a clue what that means!) that was giving in the link on one of the first posts but it kept saving that my modem couldnt be found. thats when i rang 3.
    errrrrrrrrr why cant everything be so simple??

You can't update the firmware on Vista. It has to be installed and working on XP (or Win2000 possibly). If it doesn't work you can't update it to make it work. Hence you need some other PC/Laptop to install it and upgrade it :(

Hi watty

I've taken my modem to work and put it in my xp machine and tried to install/upgrade it but it couldnt find the modem :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

dlambirl wrote: »
    Hi watty

I've taken my modem to work and put it in my xp machine and tried to install/upgrade it but it couldnt find the modem :(
    Do you have admin permissions in work? If not that could be it

Nick

Advertisement