Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Liverpool vs. Boro [All pre/during/post match discussion in here]

• 21-08-2008 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭

First home game of the season - time to get the show on the road.

Boro have been a bit of a bogey team in the last couple of years. They had a solid performance against Spurs, but the question must be asked how much of that was due to a poor performace by Spurs? Even if it was a poor Spurs performance, it was up to Boro to take advantage which they did.

In terms of weaknesses I think Jones is goal is very unproven at this level. I don't think Boro fans were impressed by letting Schwarzer go and not purchasing a replacement. I think they might struggle for goals up-front as their striking options don't really impress me. Their biggest goal-threat the last day was Wheater - scored one and had another disallowed for offside(? I think). Clearly we need to keep an eye on him. Will be interesting to see if Hoyte replaces Wheater at RB - surely the plan long-term, but this match might be a bit soon for Hoyte to make his debut. Presuambly it will be Pogatetz to lose out at CB long-term. A lot of people will be looking very closely at Downing given the constant links throughout the summer. In a sense he cant win - unless he scores a hat-trick people will be saying he isnt good enough and if he does score a hat-trick no-one will want to buy him:P
    Downing aside their midfield isn't exactly awe-inspiring - Aliadiere, Shawky, and O'Neil. However I can see them being well up for the game the next day after their performance against Spurs.

I'm predicting Babel gets a start and that Alonso starts as well. There has been no news about any injuries/knocks picked up during the internationals so fingers crossed nothing develops. I havent heard if Lucas is on his way back or what the story is there. I'm also presuming Skrtl and Degen are still on the injured list.

Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Agger, Dossena, Alonso, Gerrard, Babel, Kuyt, Keane, Torres
    Subs: Cavailieri, Hyypia, Aurelio, Plessis, Benayoun, Voronin, El Zhar
    RAFA PLEASED TO WELCOME BABEL BACK
    Paul Eaton 20 August 2008

Rafael Benitez hopes to have Ryan Babel available for selection for this weekend's Anfield clash with Middlesbrough.
    The Dutch winger is due back at Melwood after Holland's elimination from the Olympic football competition and could earn an instant recall to the Reds side for their first home match of the new campaign.

"It's bad news for Holland that they went out but it means we get a player back," said the Liverpool manager.

"Hopefully he can be here either today or tomorrow to train with the rest of his team-mates.

"He has been playing important games so I don't think there will be any problems with his fitness, but our doctor and fitness coaches will check with him and then we will see about the weekend. I am sure he will be okay. If he trains normally then he can be available for Middlesbrough."

Having spent a season acclimatising to life in English football, Benitez feels Babel can have a big part to play in Liverpool's quest for honours this year.

"He's one year older and more experienced now," he added. "He knows the club, he knows his team-mates and so I'm sure this could be a big season for him."
    INTERNATIONAL ROUND-UP: XABI AND ROBBIE SCORE
    Jimmy Rice 21 August 2008

Xabi Alonso netted twice as European champions Spain beat Daniel Agger's Denmark 3-0 on Wednesday night.
    The midfielder volleyed home five minutes after coming on at half-time following an assist from Fernando Torres.

Torres then made way, while Pepe Reina entered the fray on 76 minutes before Alonso added his second as the final whistle loomed.

Meanwhile, Robbie Keane bagged his 34th international goal as the Republic of Ireland drew 1-1 with Norway. The game also saw Steve Finnan make his international return.

At Wembley, Steven Gerrard played 58 minutes as England drew 2-2 with Czech Republic in a final friendly before kicking off their World Cup 2010 qualifying campaign.

Elsewhere, Andrea Dossena won his second international cap when he came on at half-time during Italy's 2-2 draw with Austria.

Sami Hyypia and Yossi Benayoun both started in Finland as Israel were beaten 2-0.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Glad Keane got his goal and that Xabi continues his form. It should help, but Liverpool have to hit the ground running and make a statement. I'd like to Finnan start at RB but I'm going to assume its Arbeloa

Reina
    Arbeloa--Carrra-Agger-Dossena
    Alonso
    Gerrard
    Kuyt
    Babel
    Torres-Keane

bench - GK, Finnan, Hyypia, Aurelio, Pennant, Yossi, Ngog.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Is Lucas available? I'd be surprised to see Babel start but expect Rafa to bring him on after 62 minutes. Think he'll begin the game with Yossi but otherwise I'd agree with your formation.

It's a good test for us because Middlesborough were a bogey team for all the "Big 4" last season. On paper our team (and squad) look fantastic to my red-tinted eyes but I've been very very disappointed (deja-vu disappointed:() with the two competitive performances so far.

By the way, remember when Rafa signed Dossena and there were howls that he wasn't good enough for Italy and all of a sudden he's getting a few caps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Need to hit the ground running alright. Boro are a good solid team who seem to do well against the big boys whilst fail against the Wigans and Newcastles of this world.Very strange indeed.Hope to see a better footballing showing from us to go with the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I think we'll win this alright. Well we need to be winning these games anyway. Interested to see how Downing plays. I don't think he's good enough, but shall be keeping an eye on him. He was average last night, but then so was the whole England team.
    We're already a couple of points ahead of Utd, and their next three games are away at Pompey, ourselves and Chelsea. So we have a great chance of pulling away from them a bit before the season really kicks in. But we've tough games ourselves coming up so three points at home to Boro is a must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

mike65 wrote: »
    I'd like to Finnan start at RB but I'm going to assume its Arbeloa

I'd also like to see Finnan at right-back given Arbeloa's recent performances but I just get a sense that Rafa doesn't have him in his plans. With Degen arriving and Darby getting game time in the pre-season games I think he would be as well to move on. I don't even have him making the subs bench because of the fact that he can only play RB.
    oobydooby wrote: »
    I'd be surprised to see Babel start but expect Rafa to bring him on after 62 minutes. Think he'll begin the game with Yossi but otherwise I'd agree with your formation.

I would have thought this too but given Rafa's comments plus the fact that Benayoun has been so poor the last two game I just fancy Babel to start. Also the fact that Benayoun played yesterday, whereas Babel's last game was Saturday.

Also could the mods move the off-topic discussion to another thread - I don't think it is relevant here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

The team i hope rafa Picks this weekend against Boro

Reina
    Carragher-Skrtel-Agger-Dossena
    Alonso-Leiva(is he back now he is suspended)
    Babel-Keane-Gerrard (these 3 keep swapping positions
    Torres

Thats a team ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

pesireland wrote: »
    The team i hope rafa Picks this weekend against Boro

Reina
    Carragher-Skrtel-Agger-Dossena
    Alonso-Leiva(is he back now he is suspended)
    Babel-Keane-Gerrard (these 3 keep swapping positions
    Torres

Thats a team ;)

I think skrtel will be dropped, arbeloa will take the rb postion with carra moving to cb.

I hope dagger gets his game (he's on my fantasy football team :o)

I think skrtel will be dropped, arbeloa will take the rb postion with carra moving to cb.

I hope dagger gets his game (he's on my fantasy football team :o)

Is Skrtel still injured ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

Is Skrtel still injured ??

No he's available I'd say. Thats why I'd agree with Carragher @ RB and Skrtel and Agger in the centre

I think arbeloa would get his game ahead of Skrtle and or Dagger. I dont think both of them will play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

I think arbeloa would get his game ahead of Skrtle and or Dagger. I dont think both of them will play.

Well, Skrtle and Agger are CBs so I'd agree with you on that point. Arbeloa has shown what he can do. I feel he had a woeful time against Sunderland and we were lucky we weren't punished for it but I'd like Arbelo to start on Sat so he can 'get back on the saddle'. I'd love to see Keane get the opener and for nando to finish them off.
    Do you think they'll watch out for Torres this time?:)

I said in the liverpool discussion thread, which is a complete farce at the moment, can you see downing scoring/putting in a massive performance to get noticed.

I have to say it would be funny if he scored against us (provided we win of course.)

I said in the liverpool discussion thread, which is a complete farce at the moment, can you see downing scoring/putting in a massive performance to get noticed.

I have to say it would be funny if he scored against us (provided we win of course.)

Well he will deffo be in the shop window saturday and want to impress, thats if he even wants to move, he has a manager atm that has great belief in him and he has years ahead of him, so maybe personally a move is not the right time for him yet. just a thought :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

He scored against us last season didn't he?

He scored against us last season didn't he?

Yep and quiet a goal it was to :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Boro have a good record against the big teams, so this will be tricky enough. I'd still expect Liverpool to win, and hopefully Xabi and Keane can kick on from their midweek goals.

I'm just so happy to see Babel back!
    I'm actually in danger of becoming a groupie!:o

I'll be singing the "Babel Rap" next!!!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I thought Middlesbro were very impressive last week. Have to hand it to Southgate, he's after building a decent team.

I think Arbeloa will do better this week than last, either way a good test for him against Downing. Would definitely not like to see Carragher vs Downing. But I believe Bentiez saw enough of Carra last season at full back and despite one assist its clearly not his position so I doubt he'll be used there. Skrtel was actually tried at right back in one of the pre-season friendlies and did grand, but you can't read a whole lot into that (sure Finnan played centre half in one too!).

I think he'll keep faith with Dossena v Mboro, and I'm sure Dossena will improve with games, but I bet Aurelio will be left back v Standard Liege.

If Plessis starts ahead of Alonso I'll be very depressed.

I'd love to see Babel and Lucas replace Kuyt and Yossi, but I think they'll be held in reserve (any word on whether Lucas is actually back?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I'd like to see Gerrard in CM, with Robbie playing in the hole, and Beni, Torres and Kuyt up front.

Ideally Alonso to partner Gerrard in CM, and the back four Arebloa - Skretl - Agger and Dossena

If Finnan is leaving, he'll not be playing any games for 2 weeks.

As good as Carragher is, I think he should be play less and less this year.

• Advertisement

zAbbo wrote: »
    I'd like to see Gerrard in CM, with Robbie playing in the hole, and Beni, Torres and Kuyt up front.

Ideally Alonso to partner Gerrard in CM, and the back four Arebloa - Skretl - Agger and Dossena

If Finnan is leaving, he'll not be playing any games for 2 weeks.

As good as Carragher is, I think he should be play less and less this year.

:eek: what have you been smoking?? Carragher is one of the rocks in the team from Reina, Carragher, Mascherano, Gerrard, Torres the first names on my team sheet every week :)

Well, there's no doubt he's got heart, but he's really poor at distributing the ball.

He'll be squeezed even more marginal this year, he's a good player - but we need to move forward with Skretel and Agger with Carragher and Hypia as backup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I hope as the season progresses we'll more and more of the Agger/Skyrtle partnership.
    The Echo reporting Liverpool turned down a bid from Stoke for Sami.

zAbbo wrote: »
    Well, there's no doubt he's got heart, but he's really poor at distributing the ball.

He'll be squeezed even more marginal this year, he's a good player - but we need to move forward with Skretel and Agger with Carragher and Hypia as backup.

we'll agree to disagree on that one ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i doubt Babel or Lucas will be available for the game and even if they are I dont see them
    being thrown straight in.

from setanta sports!
    The fact remains that Torres scored a hat-trick against Gareth Southgate’s side at Anfield last season, while Keane has scored seven career league goals against Boro so the omens look good for both.

Both sides got off to winning starts last Saturday, Boro at home to Spurs and Liverpool away at Sunderland, although Boro have never won their two opening fixtures in the Premier League era.

Boro will have to break the unenviable record of 24 visits to Anfield without a win in all competitions, a sequence that includes 19 defeats since their last win there in the 1975-76 season.

Have to say, as much as i love Carragher, i agree with the opinion that he could be squeezed out a bit more this season. I think he'll still play a lot, but the Agger/Skrtel axis seems to be the centre back pairing of the future. I say seems to be, but i haven't seen them play together. But they're both quality centre backs that i see no reason for them not being able to gel. Agger being the connoisseur of the passing from the back, going forward ala Hansen and creating chances and space for others now and again and whacking the odd one in like against West Ham. Meanwhile, Skrtel is back in defence threatening anyone who even thinks about directing a football anywhere near Reina.
    It's important that these two get a lot of games together so Carra could be seeing a lot of right back action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭mousey007

Is the match on the box?I'm looking forward to seeing Keane's home debut...his goal in midweek should do wonders for his confidence

mousey007 wrote: »
    Is the match on the box?I'm looking forward to seeing Keane's home debut...his goal in midweek should do wonders for his confidence

It's on Setanta (well I'm nearly sure it is)

It's on Setanta.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

:eek: what have you been smoking?? Carragher is one of the rocks in the team from Reina, Carragher, Mascherano, Gerrard, Torres the first names on my team sheet every week :)

Carragher at times is a liability for a team with ambitions of Pool. he's an excellent defender and tackler, but he loses way to much possession for a top4 CB. and his positional sense isn't great either mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

is it an early or evening kick off?

slingerz wrote: »
    is it an early or evening kick off?

3:00, and it's on Setants Sports 1 just incase anyone wasn't sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Carragher at times is a liability for a team with ambitions of Pool. he's an excellent defender and tackler, but he loses way to much possession for a top4 CB. and his positional sense isn't great either mind...

disagree totally.

his distribution at times is not the best, but defensively he is near impeccable and i dont think he gives away possession per say, just that his passing or vision for an attacking pass isnt as good as aggers for example.

Franco Breasi and John Terry both said about 12months ago that they thought he was the best defender in the world over the couple of years previous-and thats two lads that know a thing of two about defending ;)

I'd love to see Babel and Lucas replace Kuyt and Yossi, but I think they'll be held in reserve (any word on whether Lucas is actually back?).

i doubt Babel or Lucas will be available for the game and even if they are I dont see them
    being thrown straight in.

Rafa has said in an interview after Holland were knocked out that he hoped Babel would be be back for the Midlesborough game, and that he was fairly sure he'd play a part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Team I'd like to see.

Torres

Benayoun----Keane
    Kuyt

Gerrard--Alonso

Dossena--Carra--Agger--Arbeloa

Reina

Subs: Cavilerari, Skrtel, Aurelio, Plessis, Babel, N'gog, Nemeth

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Mr Alan wrote: »
    disagree totally.

his distribution at times is not the best, but defensively he is near impeccable and i dont think he gives away possession per say, just that his passing or vision for an attacking pass isnt as good as aggers for example.

Franco Breasi and John Terry both said about 12months ago that they thought he was the best defender in the world over the couple of years previous-and thats two lads that know a thing of two about defending ;)

I seriously rolled around the place laughing at that. Everton and Arsenal games last year come to mind without even thinking about it.

That was said "about" 12 months ago Do you honestly think the same would be said now.

I have only seen the Liege game this season and there were at least 3/4 occasions he played a long high ball to the strikers heads.

kida wrote: »
    I seriously rolled around the place laughing at that. Everton and Arsenal games last year come to mind without even thinking about it.

That was said "about" 12 months ago Do you honestly think the same would be said now.

I have only seen the Liege game this season and there were at least 3/4 occasions he played a long high ball to the strikers heads.

Everton and Arsenal come to mind? Why, cos he should have had penos given against him?? Actually yeah, top quality centre backs don't give away penalties!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Mr Alan wrote: »
    disagree totally.

And in the intervening 12 months he's been relatively poor. He made more mistakes in the last year than in the 3 prior to that. The amount of penalties or free kicks near the area he gave away (or deserved to give away but werent given) was huge. But I do think he's looking sharp enough so far this season.

Now he's very hard to drop given his leadership and passion. He's a motivator for the team, who'll continally do his very best for the cause and refuse to allow anyone drop below 100%. But if Agger and Skrtel were given 5 or 6 consecutive games to develop a partnership, then I don't think Carragher would get back in.

Carraghers biggest weakness is he is very fond of attempting the long ball pass i.e. 'hoofing' as it ends up nowhere near a Liverpool player.
    The only time I want to see a defender 'hoof' the ball is when he is put under pressure.
    There are times when Carra is not under pressure, he 'hoofs', just mindless dispossession of the ball.

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Carraghers biggest weakness is he is very fond of attempting the long ball pass i.e. 'hoofing' as it ends up nowhere near a Liverpool player.
    The only time I want to see a defender 'hoof' the ball is when he is put under pressure.
    There are times when Carra is not under pressure, he 'hoofs', just mindless dispossession of the ball.

I hate that so much. That is the one thing about Carragher that drives me crazy. It's one thing whacking it into row Z when needs be, but hoofing it aimlessly forward when under no pressure is just wasteful. If he can't pass properly, then play it across to Hyppia or Agger who can pick a pass no problem. Other than that, as you were Jamie!!

• Advertisement

And in the intervening 12 months he's been relatively poor. He made more mistakes in the last year than in the 3 prior to that. The amount of penalties or free kicks near the area he gave away (or deserved to give away but werent given) was huge. But I do think he's looking sharp enough so far this season.

Now he's very hard to drop given his leadership and passion. He's a motivator for the team, who'll continally do his very best for the cause and refuse to allow anyone drop below 100%. But if Agger and Skrtel were given 5 or 6 consecutive games to develop a partnership, then I don't think Carragher would get back in.

The season is just one game old ffs :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I think Carra has a lot to offer, in terms of leadership, passion etc. But he has lost a yard or two of pace over the past few seasons, and he has a tendency to make last-ditch crealingh tackles, giving away penos etc.

Just to let you know, the same does seem to be said now. I think you'll find Jamie's name in the story below covering the past twelve months

REDS QUARTET MAKE UEFA SHORTLIST
    Jimmy Rice 22 August 2008
    Fernando Torres, Pepe Reina, Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard have been shortlisted for this year's UEFA European Club Footballer of the Year award.
    Seventeen of the 25 nominees play in the Barclays Premier League, a reflection of the fact three English teams reached last season's Champions League semi-finals.

Torres is one of the favourites for the prize along with Cristiano Ronaldo, Frank Lampard and Lionel Messi.

The coaches of the 16 teams which reached the knockout stages of last year's Champions League will now cast their votes at next Thursday's group stage draw.

There are also awards for goalkeeper, defender, midfielder and forward of the year. The list of nominees, from which the overall winner will be selected, is:

UEFA club goalkeeper of the year: Manuel Almunia (Arsenal), Petr Cech (Chelsea), Manuel Neuer (FC Schalke 04), Pepe Reina (Liverpool), Edwin van der Sar (Manchester United).

UEFA club defender of the year: Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Carles Puyol (Barcelona), John Terry (Chelsea), Nemanja Vidic (Manchester United).

UEFA club midfielder of the year: Michael Essien (Chelsea), Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Paul Scholes (Manchester United).

UEFA club forward of the year: Didier Drogba (Chelsea), Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Fernando Torres (Liverpool).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I seriously rolled around the place laughing at that.

?...easily amused...

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

wooah...all english club players nearly...and one of the others puyol shouldnt be anywhere near that list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Expecting Southgate to start with roughly the same team as last week. Hoyte pushing for a start which would see Wheater partnering Huth at the center and Poggy moving to left back at Taylor's expense. Shawky to have late fitness test due to being on international duty with Egypt, so possibly Digard will start should Shawky be deemed unfit.

My prediction (fingers crossed): Tuncay with a tap-in after 28mins, Torres cracker on 68 mins to level things up. Wheater to be our biggest goal treat and Robbie Keane to be subbed after 63mins.

COME ON THE 'BORO!!!!!

That's some prediction. I'll go with Keane getting the opener on 16 mins, tap in after Torres goes on a mad run dragging 4 defenders and a goalie with him. Middlesborough come close to scoring due to dodgy defending but fail to score before Gerrard puts Torres on another run with a through ball only for nando to do what he does best. Liverpool to sit back on that scoreline till the final whistle. FT 2-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

alves is the player from boro who,ll score if any. id love to see keane score his first pool goal in the kop end .prediction keane to score a 2 min hat-trick [knock fowler off his perch] boro to score 4 ,well i am a united fan what do you expect.lol peace

Babel to score 45 goals!
    All from the subs bench!:D

Torres definitely to score, he's chasing a record

Fernando Torres out to Hunt down a 46-year-old Liverpool FC strike record

Should Torres hit the target against Middlesbrough at Anfield today, he will become the first Liverpool player in history to score in nine successive home games.

A goal would also make him the highest scoring Reds player after 50 games for the club in over a century.

• Advertisement
Advertisement