Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Liverpool vs. Boro [All pre/during/post match discussion in here]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Your chosen team line up is:

25. Reina
    2. Dossena
    5. Agger
    17. Arbeloa
    23. Carragher
    8. Gerrard
    14. Alonso
    19. Babel
    7. Keane
    9. Torres
    18. Kuyt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

ntlbell wrote: »
    Your chosen team line up is:

25. Reina
    2. Dossena
    5. Agger
    17. Arbeloa
    23. Carragher
    8. Gerrard
    14. Alonso
    19. Babel
    7. Keane
    9. Torres
    18. Kuyt

where's that from? it is our strongest team but its not confirmed on lfc.tv or bbc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

2-0 to Liverpool. Torres & Gerrard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

monkey9 wrote: »
    Just to let you know, the same does seem to be said now. I think you'll find Jamie's name in the story below covering the past twelve months

REDS QUARTET MAKE UEFA SHORTLIST
    Jimmy Rice 22 August 2008
    Fernando Torres, Pepe Reina, Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard have been shortlisted for this year's UEFA European Club Footballer of the Year award.
    Seventeen of the 25 nominees play in the Barclays Premier League, a reflection of the fact three English teams reached last season's Champions League semi-finals.

Torres is one of the favourites for the prize along with Cristiano Ronaldo, Frank Lampard and Lionel Messi.

The coaches of the 16 teams which reached the knockout stages of last year's Champions League will now cast their votes at next Thursday's group stage draw.

There are also awards for goalkeeper, defender, midfielder and forward of the year. The list of nominees, from which the overall winner will be selected, is:

UEFA club goalkeeper of the year: Manuel Almunia (Arsenal), Petr Cech (Chelsea), Manuel Neuer (FC Schalke 04), Pepe Reina (Liverpool), Edwin van der Sar (Manchester United).

UEFA club defender of the year: Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Carles Puyol (Barcelona), John Terry (Chelsea), Nemanja Vidic (Manchester United).

UEFA club midfielder of the year: Michael Essien (Chelsea), Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Paul Scholes (Manchester United).

UEFA club forward of the year: Didier Drogba (Chelsea), Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Fernando Torres (Liverpool).

There are your winners there. Would have thought Ronaldo would have been included with the midfielders, dont Man Utd fans proclaim him as the greatest goal scoring midfielder ever/!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

slingerz wrote: »
    There are your winners there. Would have thought Ronaldo would have been included with the midfielders, dont Man Utd fans proclaim him as the greatest goal scoring midfielder ever/!

He was a winger in the same way that Gerrard was a midfielder last year.

The only game that I can remember seeing Ronaldo playing as an out and winger last season was the CL final.
    He played as part of an attacking three of Ronaldo/Tevez/Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Reina
    Ferdinand
    Fabregas
    Ronaldo

for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Casillas
    Ferdinand
    Fabregas
    Ronaldo

How Casillas is not on that list is just an absolute joke. He was by far, by far, the best goal keeper in the world in the last year. He was probably the best player in the Real Madrid team that won the league.

PHB wrote: »
    Casillas
    Ferdinand
    Fabregas
    Ronaldo

How Casillas is not on that list is just an absolute joke. He was by far, by far, the best goal keeper in the world in the last year. He was probably the best player in the Real Madrid team that won the league.

but hes not on the list so he cant win it! Reina for me was the most consistent, but VDS will win it for the final, besides that i agree with Mr. Alans (and yours!) choices...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Anyway....

I'm really looking forward to this game, especially if Agger starts. I'm going to put the performance against Standard Liege by him down to lacking match practice and I'm hoping we see a return today of the Agger who passes the ball out of defence. Such a big, big player for us.

Expecting Keane to give us a good game today, I've put my faith in him, he's my captain for the fantasy league today.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just heard BBC say Gerrard is a doubt. :eek: If that true its Alonso/Plessis I presume.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    Just heard BBC say Gerrard is a doubt. :eek: If that true its Alonso/Plessis I presume.

Mike.

What did they say was wrong?

Thigh strain I think (slightly in shock so missed the detail)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Are Babel and Lucas back in Liverpool yet? I'd imagine Babel should be by now seeing as he was knocked out last Saturday.

Edit: Babel is back but Lucas isnt. Probably wont see Babel today though.

Are Babel and Lucas back in Liverpool yet? I'd imagine Babel should be by now seeing as he was knocked out last Saturday.

Babel's in the squad.
    Lucas isn't.

according to BBC Babel is back but not Lucas

• Advertisement

according to BBC Babel is back but not Lucas

The medal ceremony was today.
    He'll be on a plane home tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

The Reds line-up in full is: Reina, Arbeloa, Dossena, Carragher, Skrtel, Gerrard, Alonso, Kuyt, Benayoun, Torres, Keane. Subs: Cavalieri, Aurelio, Agger, Babel, Ngog, El Zhar, Plessis.

Dang forgot to do Fantasy Rafa. I'd have got 10 at least.

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I really hope to see Ngog given a run out

Melion wrote: »
    The Reds line-up in full is: Reina, Arbeloa, Dossena, Carragher, Skrtel, Gerrard, Alonso, Kuyt, Benayoun, Torres, Keane. Subs: Cavalieri, Aurelio, Agger, Babel, Ngog, El Zhar, Plessis.

No Agger again.:mad: £6m worth of nothing wasted in the fantasy again.:(

• Advertisement

Not sure how I see that system working. Seems extremely narrrow, extremely. Gerrard will have to push forwards lots to provide some running to give some space. I can see Boro hitting ya on the break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Well Downing is playing if that means anything.

http://www.justin.tv/iraqgoals its good quality but jerky if you have modest speed.
    http://www.justin.tv/sportmans for Spanish language gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooals

Mike.

Some insightful analysis there from Pat Dolan. "Liverpool will be looking to win the game today."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

PHB wrote: »
    Not sure how I see that system working. Seems extremely narrrow, extremely. Gerrard will have to push forwards lots to provide some running to give some space. I can see Boro hitting ya on the break.

why?

could easily see it becoming a lining up as a straight 4-4-2, and if it doesn't start like that, could easily shift to it if needed.

Kuyt--Gerrard--Alonso--Yossi
    Keane-Torres

Cause if Gerrard has to push forward to make the attack work, which I suspect he may have to, there is going to be space. And Alsono isn't Mascherano.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

well this is already a lot more open than I expected.

Thats true PHB, but what id imagine it will come down to, is Gerrard needing to be disciplined. Its not that much of a stretch.

If anyone needs a stream
    http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=16901&part=sports
    the second one under 'Best of P2P' on TVU is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Thats true PHB, but what id imagine it will come down to, is Gerrard needing to be disciplined. Its not that much of a stretch.

If anyone needs a stream
    http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=16901&part=sports
    the second one under 'Best of P2P' on TVU is excellent.

Whats the channel number ? TVU opens but the channel aint coming on.

65223 - soccer2 is whats coming up for me

I did have to update TVU beforehand incase thats an issue, only took a few seconds though and was automatically prompted.

• Advertisement

loads of width so far, benny, dosenna and keane peeling out down the left and kuyt/ torres peeling out down the right. look really good going forward, but it is leaving space at the back. unlikely to be a draw anyway.

nastly clash of heads, dosenna off for a good few stiches, abonglahor plays on with a nappy on his head.

edit - back to 11, just a couple for him I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

copacetic wrote: »
    abonglahor

????

Jeremie Aliadiere

Mike.

Did he get taken off or is he still playing?

I hope Keano gets his first goal sooner rather than later. He's struggling so far in his Liverpool career and his problem is that he's trying too hard

glenjamin wrote: »
    copacetic wrote: »
    abonglahor

????

:o

sorry, Aliadiere.

That wasn't over the top be Alonso!! He got the ball. To me that was a fair 50 50 challenge

monkey9 wrote: »
    I hope Keano gets his first goal sooner rather than later. He's struggling so far in his Liverpool career and his problem is that he's trying too hard

very much so. he either needs to get it soon, or else just relax and let it come. Couldn't see option B being taken though..

He's still on. Keane still getting in the way.

Mike.

• Advertisement

downing makes a fool of arebola and benny, but ends up on his right foot and can't hit the target, good run though. Dosenna has looked really good on the ball down our left and gone past defenders a few times.

great link up one two off long ball from torres and keane, but torres crowded out by covering right back when in on goal.

Much better in the last 5 mins.

Mike.

sweet jebus, great run from keane, takes 4 players out of it and sets torres up with a side foot chance 14 yards out but he snatches at it. Haven't seen us look so good going forward in a long time, but leaving spaces at the back. We need to get a goal soon.

some very nice football between Keane and Torres, really linking well. Torres should have just scored after Keane's run. Looks like a goal is coming soon though, from one team or the other...

corners corners corners! christ lads, someone learn to put in a decent one!

When Reina has the ball in hand he always looks for a chance to bowl it down the right wing as a rule so why is there often no-one out there? Liverpool have to stop getting sucked into the 18 yard area and give Reina the chance to start a quick counterattack.

Oh yeah, corners - bleugh again.

Mike.

• Advertisement

It's been a frustrating half. We've played some decent stuff at times, but we're giving the ball away a lot. Keane has got better as the half has gone on and seems to be gaining confidence now. Linked up well with Torres a few times. Dossena has done ok getting forward, but his crossing has been awful.
    Our corners in general have been terrible. Playing a lot of short corners, but not getting it in the box and when we try to take a long corner, Alonso seems to be getting Gerrard syndrome and hitting the first man. In fact, Alonso has not played well in that half. The crowd are already getting restless and the longer it stays nil all, the harder it will get.
    Hopefully the Kop can inspire!

Don't have Setanta Sports 1 so am watching the match on the Sky Sports videprinter. All the stats indicate that your all over us. Is that how it is?

Don't have Setanta Sports 1 so am watching the match on the Sky Sports videprinter. All the stats indicate that your all over us. Is that how it is?

certainly well on top, but pushing forward so much is leaving space at the back for you to attack. best chance was probably downing, but he has even less of a right foot than I thought.

No its been quite balanced, Liverpool have had better chances, Boro have been tidy and well organsied. Gerrard is quiet.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Wouldnt say all over. Middlesborough have tried to play football and have bossed the game a bit in the middle of the park. You get the feeling a goal is coming for Liverpool though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement