Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Man Utd vs. Portsmouth [All pre/during/post match discussion in here]

• 21-08-2008 11:12am
    Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭

teamslu4.jpg

I know this is not on until Monday night, but with all our injuries who do people feel will be in our starting 11. If the Berb deal is to go ahead, it would need to happen in the next 48 hours.

After our disappointing draw against Newcastle, last weekend, this is a game that we really need to take maximum points from. Our next game has to be rearranged due to the Supercup, so we will automatically be playing catch up by the time the liverpool game comes around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I'd say the Berbatov deal will go to the wire so won't be done in time for this. Any details on who is deffo out and who might/will be back for this ?

Think carrick (injured), nani (suspended), anderson (china) deffo out but what about Hargreaves, Giggs, Tevez, Park ? I'm guessing Tevez will be back from Agentina...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Doesn't look like Hargreaves will be fit for Pompy
    http://www.goal.com/en-india/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=824906

Park probs will be fit
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/7558737.stm

Tevez should be back

Dunno bout Giggs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

The injuries before the Newcastle game were bad enough, but the double blow of losing Giggs and Carrick is huge. Carrick definitely won't feature, but I haven't really read anything on Giggs. If Park was fit, it'd be a great boost because I'm struggling to think of someone who can play on the wings with Nani still suspended and Ronaldo obviously out of commission. We might see O' Shea to left-back and Evra on the wing like we finished the game against Newcastle.

The only good news is that Tevez will definitely be back, and Pompey were dire on Sunday. Still, it'll be a tough game and Fratton Park hasn't always been kind to United.

Sometimes injuries mean a team picks itself, but I'm not really sure that's the case here. Perhaps something along the lines of:

VDS
    Brown
    Vidic
    Rio
    O'Shea
    Park
    Scholes---Fletcher
    Evra--

Tevez
    Rooney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

I know it would be risky, but I'l like to see a line-up like this:

VDS
    Brown
    Vidic
    Rio
    Fabio/Evra
    Park
    Scholes----Possebon
    Evra/Fabio--

Tevez
    Rooney

Fletcher in for Park if he is not fit enough. I know fletcher and o'shea are more experienced than fabio and possebon, but If these guys are good enough to be in the first team squad they should be good enough to start when needed. And they can only benefit from playing in big games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

They're both very weak looking teams imo - we need to get players fit so badly...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Fall_Guy wrote: »

VDS
    Brown
    Vidic
    Rio
    Fabio/Evra
    Park
    Scholes----Possebon
    Evra/Fabio--

Tevez
    Rooney

I'd have Fletch instead of Possebon. Fletch has had a great pre-season and was pretty good against Newky. Besides that, that's not a bad team at all like... Certainly enough to win the game.

I'd actually have Mad Pat at LB and let Fabio do most of the attacking up the wing.
    keane2097 wrote: »
    They're both very weak looking teams imo - we need to get players fit so badly...

It's not THAT bad! The defensive and offensive lines are our 1st choice from last season. The midfield is weak, but at least we have Scholes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Could drop Anderson in, he'll be back Friday won't he?

Dave: yeah the call on fletcher/possebon was the difficult one. Fletcher is a valuable player but I feel possebon has the potential to do a lot more on the ball and against pompy, no disrespect, i think its a game that united should be aiming to win by outplaying them, outpassing them. Fletcher, as primarily a ball-winner in my eyes, tends to have his best games for united when we need someone to break up the opponents' play regularly. When we have lots of possession his limitations on the ball tend to be more obvious. I guess I was looking at it from a horses for courses basis. I think on the whole united have the ability to outplay the pompy team, so they should pick a line-up that plays to their strengths rather than is trying to combat the threat of pompy.

edit: just saw your post zabbo, I would definitely put Anderson in if available ahead of Possebon or Fletcher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

zAbbo wrote: »
    Could drop Anderson in, he'll be back Friday won't he?

Brazil play Belgium tomorrow for Bronze but I think Anderson was booked against Argentina which would mean suspension.

Don't know if he'll wait around maybe pick up bronze or come back early.

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    I know it would be risky, but I'l like to see a line-up like this:

VDS
    Brown
    Vidic
    Rio
    Fabio/Evra
    Park
    Scholes----Possebon
    Evra/Fabio--

Tevez
    Rooney

Fletcher in for Park if he is not fit enough. I know fletcher and o'shea are more experienced than fabio and possebon, but If these guys are good enough to be in the first team squad they should be good enough to start when needed. And they can only benefit from playing in big games.

I think Fabio & Possebon need a few sub appearances, carling cup/Fa cup/home to hull/stoke/wba type league games before you put then into an away game like that. Pompey is a bogey team for Utd and grounds like Portsmouths, Upton park, Goodison, can be intimidating to try and make an impression. Don't want to see them dropped in at the deep end too soon even if that means JoS :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

slingerz wrote: »
    No he's available I'd say. Thats why I'd agree with Carragher @ RB and Skrtel and Agger in the centre

Me to, i'd go with that , also love to see Keane get a goal on Saturday so he can get that monkey off his back :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

pesireland wrote: »
    Me to, i'd go with that , also love to see Keane get a goal on Saturday so he can get that monkey off his back :)

I'm not on his back. I'm supporting him:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Was watching the reserves play the other night (Monday night i think) and Raf was taken off at half time, Possebon didn't play at all, which would indicate, to me at least, that they are being considered for first team duties. Fabio played the full 90.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

As much as I want to see Possebon get his chance I think Fletcher has to play ahead of him on Monday. We're away from home, in the midst of an injury crisis and to be fair to Fletcher in the Community Shield and the Newcastle game he was one of our better players.

Another reason would be that Possebon still looks a little weak physically, though I've only seen him a couple of times so I may be wrong, and could struggle against the physicality of Portsmouth's midfield. In my opinion Possebon would benefit more being blooded as a substitute in more comfortable home games, the more he seems to adjust, the more gametime he gets.

carlop wrote: »
    As much as I want to see Possebon get his chance I think Fletcher has to play ahead of him on Monday. We're away from home, in the midst of an injury crisis and to be fair to Fletcher in the Community Shield and the Newcastle game he was one of our better players.

Another reason would be that Possebon still looks a little weak physically, though I've only seen him a couple of times so I may be wrong, and could struggle against the physicality of Portsmouth's midfield. In my opinion Possebon would benefit more being blooded as a substitute in more comfortable home games, the more he seems to adjust, the more gametime he gets.

I agree - from what i have seen of possebon, I don't think he is suited to the hustle and bustle of an away game at pompey yet. Doesn't have the pace or strength for it at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Smith is due a goal

Personally I think we will win 2-0 this weekend.

Fletch to continue his Ronaldo like scoring run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

As long as O Shea doesn't start in CM I'll be happy enough, maybe seeing as Park is only back he will be on bench with Fletcher on the right and Possebon in the centre with Scholes, although can easily see O Shea in there instead of Possebon which would be a complete disaster.
    United to draw again. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

bump

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

So I guess we are allowed individual match threads after all.

If selected:-

Wes BROWN will be making his 200th Premier League appearance - all in a Manchester United shirt.

If on the field from the outset:-

Gary NEVILLE will be making his 350th Premier League start for Manchester United.

• Advertisement

good call on the seperate threads, makes more sense and easier to follow.

Winning this game would make up for losing 2 points 1st day out IMO. 4 points would be reasonable return. If not we'll head into the tough Liverpool/Chelsea away games staring a long way up the table to the rest as we'll miss a game due to super cup as well.

Hopefully Harry sees this as a chance to have a go at Utd and not be cagey. Wonder will Fergie go with Campbell again up front or change things ? Ronaldo sent off at Pompey last year, its a fairly hostile ground (don't mean that in a bad way) more so since its an evening game. hope Rooney has a good game, manages to keep his head.

I don't know if Campbell is fit - talk of him picking up an injury against Newcastle last week.

Going to be a very tough game for us, without 3 of a 5 central midfielders and no wingers. Pompey are strong battlers in midfield and I'm not sure that we'll have enough to cope with them, or provide the balls Rooney and Tevez would need to feed on.

I'm predicting 1-1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

as midfield/wings are weak can see a 4-3-3 with Tevez,Rooney and either Park or cambell with Fletcher/Scholes and Possebon behind it.

Possebon won't start in midfield, certainly not as the DM. O'Shea will get the start in midfield i reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Tauren wrote: »
    Possebon won't start in midfield, certainly not as the DM. O'Shea will get the start in midfield i reckon.

with Scholes and Fletcher as part of 3 I don't think we need a DM

Away to tough tackling, big, strong, Pompey? I think we do. Also, with no wingers available I can see Fletch playing on the right again.

Why try and play their game? even with o'shea in as a defensive midfielder, he's not a physical player and if its aggression versus aggression utd will still be found wanting with o'shea there because he adds little in that respect. Having him in midfield is a catch 22 in the sense that there would be less NEED for a defensive minded player to break up the play if he wasn't there giving the ball away constantly in the first place!

I'm not saying I want O'Shea in midfield, I am saying that is what I think Fergie will go for, and for the reasons stated. You'll note that when Carrick went off injured against Newcastle, at home, it was O'Shea who was brought on to play in midfield. Why do you think Fergie will go differently against Pompey? The only way I see O'Shea not playing midfield is if Evra is moved to left mid and O'Shea plays LB.

according to TEAMtalk, the United squad for the game is this:

United (from): Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Foster, Brown, Neville, R Da Silva, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evans, Evra, F Da Silva, Fletcher, O'Shea, Scholes, Possebon, Gibson, Giggs, Rooney, Tevez, Campbell, Welbeck.

Based on that, I reckon it will be O'Shea in for Carrick and Tevez in for Campbel. the rest of the team is as it was for Newcastle. I reckon, anyway. Depends on whether giggs is actually fit or not.

• Advertisement

Tauren wrote: »
    I'm not saying I want O'Shea in midfield, I am saying that is what I think Fergie will go for, and for the reasons stated. You'll note that when Carrick went off injured against Newcastle, at home, it was O'Shea who was brought on to play in midfield. Why do you think Fergie will go differently against Pompey? The only way I see O'Shea not playing midfield is if Evra is moved to left mid and O'Shea plays LB.

Oh, my mistake. I agree that he will probably play there, I took your previous post to mean that you felt we NEEDED him there to fulfil a defensive role against Pompy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

come on pompy!!! only kidding manure fans ;)

To Be Serious Utd need a win here i think, with liverpool and chelsea coming up, if they lost this game their confidence could suffer. i know utd started poorly last season also and still won the league, so you can never write them off.

They are also carrying alot of injurys so this could be a good time for pompy to play them, esspically after the tumping last week at chelsea, they have a point to prove :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Portsmouth have been awful recently. guess there's a chance they'll up their game, but on the evidence of what I've seen i doubt they have the potential to. the loss of Muntari coupled with the failure to get in someone like SWP has really put a stem on their ability to feed their strikers. so this should be an easy game, even for a weakened United.

we stuggled to a win over them in Nigerial, and needed penalties against them in the CS. Pompey may not be playing well, but United are not either.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Some good news on our Squad for mondays nights game
    Squad swelling for Pompey
    Sir Alex Ferguson is hopeful that his squad will be boosted by the return of a handful of key players in time for Monday evening's trip to Portsmouth.

Carlos Tevez, who missed last weekend's draw with Newcastle after a family bereavement, will play after featuring for Argentina on Wednesday, giving United a vital extra body in attack.

There is also a chance that Owen Hargreaves and Ryan Giggs could be in contention after training this week, while Anderson will return this weekend from Brazil's Olympic team.

Ji-sung Park has also taken great strides in recent days, and has played a full part in training all week, but the trip to Fratton Park will come too soon for him.

"Tevez is back," Sir Alex told his pre-match press conference. "He’s available. Hargreaves and Ji-sung Park both trained with the first team this week, I’m delighted with that. Ji won’t be considered, Hargreaves we’ll assess on Sunday to see if he can play a part.

"Anderson will be back on Sunday, so that’s an extra body. Giggs has trained the last couple of days, plus all the players have come back from internationals fit, which is a bonus, so we’re ok in that respect."

The United manager also confirmed that Michael Carrick and Cristiano Ronaldo are on schedule for their own returns from injury - three weeks and three months respectively.

Things may be starting to look up on the injuries from. Now all we need is the 3 points

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I think it will be JOS and Tevez replacing Carrick and Campbell. I'd like to see Possebon and Gibson getting a few minutes, hopefully we'll be up and they'll get a run outtowards the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

any chance of neville getting back into the starting 11 in the short term i wonder? does he still have the captaincy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Expected team for Monday?

Good to have tevez back.

VDS
    Wes--- Rio--- Vida ---Evra
    Fletch O'Shea Scholes Giggs
    Rooney--Tevez

Not sure about O'Shea in midfield though, i think id prefer Possebon or Gibson in there. Anderson could possibly be back after the Olympics too, not sure if he'd rush him in but man hes needed right now.

I think Neville may not play, still getting back to fitness, but then play in the supercup.

I really don't want to see O'Shea in midfield, and I don't think we will.

If Giggs plays, we could play Campbell and drop Tevez/Rooney to the wings. Fletcher and Scholes in the middle.
    If Hargreaves is fit, and he might be, we can just play Giggs and Fletcher on the wings.
    Also we could push Evra to LM, Giggs to RM, Fletcher into the middle, and O'Shea LB. All that would be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

VDS
    Brown----Rio--Vidic
    Evra
    Fletcher-Possebon-Scholes-Giggs
    Tevez----Rooney

Team I would like to see. I think Possebon should be given his chance, a couple of sub appearances/carling cup games wont prepare him any more for the premiership. Injuries have forced our hand, might as well see if he is capable of stepping in.

However the team will rely on wether Giggs can start the game. If not then you can see Evra going to left mid meaning that either Da Silva plays left back, or O'Shea does with Possebon in the middle. It probably could come down to which player Fergie trusts more, and which position he sees as a bigger risk.

Would like to see Wellbeck get a run out at some stage as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Hand on heart lads, I don't think United will win on Monday night. I hope Im wrong, but I can see this being an even worse start then last season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

If we lose on Monday it will be the exact same start ad last year. I know we follow it up with two tough away games but the players should be excited about those games andthey could actuallybea blessing and kick start our season. Alas we won't know if they are a blessing or curse until we play them. I'm hopefully of taking seven points from the next three games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Trilla wrote: »
    Hand on heart lads, I don't think United will win on Monday night. I hope Im wrong, but I can see this being an even worse start then last season.

Have to agree unfortunately, I can see a 1-1 draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

If we lose on Monday it will be the exact same start ad last year. I know we follow it up with two tough away games but the players should be excited about those games andthey could actuallybea blessing and kick start our season. Alas we won't know if they are a blessing or curse until we play them. I'm hopefully of taking seven points from the next three games.

Cant see that happening. Away to pompey, chelski and the scousers? Would gladly take 4-5 points of any combo given the current squad problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

van da man
    sicknoteneville........franzferdinand.....vidicdawall............patevra
    fletcherlives....chubbyanderson.....scholeswhitestick.......buspassgiggs
    .................wayne"tasteslikechicken"rooney...................................
    ................carlos"animalfrommuppetshow"teves..............................
    i really hope we dont start like last season we really need a win v pompy ,but arry will have them phyced up to bloody win it a 1.1 draw is on the cards i feel.this really isnt helping the whole united cant win without ronaldo debate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

If Chelsea went out and beat Pompy 4-nil and we're saying we'll do well to get a draw we're in some state for this season imo...

I'm fully confident we'll win. Having Tevez back alone should be enough. Pompy are a decent team but I just feel united have too much quality even with a depleted team. Players like scholes, rooney and tevez are too clever, the first choice back four will be playing (neville/brown is 50/50 as to who is the better option for me at the moment). Even if the midfield was to be made up of (and i hope its not) rafael/fabio, scholes, o'shea and fletcher I would expect united to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I could see Pompy going out for the draw for this one, Diarra and Kaboul in midfield, just pure stifling play giving uniteds attackers no time on the ball. It all depends imo on what team Ferguson puts out. Enough quality in attack and Pompy shouldn't be able to contain them, someone should be able to get their way through, but if ManU are short on attack, it could be very hard to break through. Id expect Tevez, Rooney and Scholes to all be clamped down on.

All the same, id fancy a 2-0 to United.

Trilla wrote: »
    Smegball wrote: »
    Have to agree unfortunately, I can see a 1-1 draw.

we drew both games at the start of last season, didn't we?

I just can't see Portsmouth scoring. The two times we've played them, while we haven't created much up front, they couldn't get close to our goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

I see Wellbeck is back in the squad for tonights game, which is good news at least it should provide an attacking option to come of the bench which we were badly lacking last weekend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement