Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music?

Options
  • 22-08-2008 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

What sorts of good bands and music have you come across while down under? I didn't hear much in Oz but I did go to see Xavier Rudd there recently. He's pretty handy with the old Didje. I heard a lot of great stuff in NZ though. The Phoenix Foundation, The Chills, Fly My Pretties to name a few.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I've got in to the kiwi band elemeno p recently. My bf is trying to et me in to more but I've resisted so far. The only other song I like that he's introduced me to is "the mutton birds" I wish I was in Wellington.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Oh yeah, the 11.57 song is very catchy. The Mutton Birds is a band, no? I think they did a song that was covered for the Rainbow Warrior bombing anniversary. Are you not in Wellington anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

WindSock wrote: »
    Oh yeah, the 11.57 song is very catchy. The Mutton Birds is a band, no? I think they did a song that was covered for the Rainbow Warrior bombing anniversary. Are you not in Wellington anymore?

No, I'm still in Wellington. I just like the song!

Trying to get more in to the mutton birds but have failed so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Soooooo many good bands here in Oz -

Eskimo Joe

Silverchair

Gyroscope

The Butterfly Effect

Jet

Grinspoon

John Butler Trio

Hilltop Hoods

Karnivool

Midnight Juggernauts

Faker

Operator Please

British India

I could go on. Eskimo Joe are probably my favourite. Well worth checking out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

my fella used to work as a DJ on collegeradio and was big into promoting kiwi music, as well as being the first to get some soon-to-be-big foreign music on the airwaves... then he spent a few years working as a roadie for both local and overseas bands, so, particularly on an all nighter drinking sesh, i get to hear a *lot* of kiwi music.

squirm are one that stand out for me, as do loves ugly children... there's so much else i keep intending to get into but not gotten round to yet...

local bands i been checkin out are Ois2Men, local punk band, pretty good. met the chills too. apparently they're a really big deal. i reserved a 'sensible drug related harm' calendar for the lead singer. trying to think now, pretty much all the punk bands in the area, done a few animal rights stalls at punkfests and stuff.

goodnight nurse are a decent band, as are elemeno p, i love their name more than anything else, but they're decent.

tbh, i think the push for kiwi music here is fantastic. why the hell dont we have that kinda passion and pride back home? barely a day goes by that i go into town and dont see someone wearing the black target 'NZ MUSIC MONTH' hoody/tshirt. there is such a push for it, and i know my fella was one of the ones massively pushing for it before it was such a popular thing, but man, those ****ers succeeded, there are a lot of proud kiwi musos out here, and i dont think ireland has anything to compare to that.

and for ye in melbourne, duno if they'd be ye're thing, but check out The Tranquilizers. think they're broken up now, but excellent indy band - supported mark gardner (of 90s shoegazing band Ride fame) back in the day, but excellent excellent band.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Soooooo many good bands here in Oz -

Operator Please
    Quite like these myself. Also Regurgitator.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Fat Freddy's Drop if your into dub reggae with a bit of soul.Unbelievable musicians,discovered them in Queenstown a couple of years back.Great kiwi band

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Maybe it's just the stations I can get out here, but I find the radio here is rubbish. Any of the stations I can tune into in the car play nothing but ancient old crap. I can't seem to find a charts station, anything with modern music - it's bloody Midnight Oil and Tina Arena.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I'm planning on going to the Falls Festival over new year. Link

It looks, as Peter Griffin would say, frickin sweet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭pucan

No one has mentioned the 'Finger!

Been listening to British India non stop for the last week. The new album 'Thieves' is fan-feckin-tastic. Check it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

dont forget nick cave/grinderman! josh pyke isn't bad either.
    sleepy jackson too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Been listening to British India non stop for the last week. The new album 'Thieves' is fan-feckin-tastic. Check it out!

Are they Australian? Or Brittish? Or Indian?

Are they Australian? Or Brittish? Or Indian?

They're Aussie, from over east somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

That Kiwi band the Flight of the Conchords are brilliant. Not really sure where they are from but they are good musically but funny as well.
    Check them out..

They're the lads who do the tv show of the same name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_of_the_Conchords_(TV_series)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I like The Presets, and the Black Seeds are ok too. There are a lot of awful bands that tour in NZ like Catchafire, who I was made go and see, and Elemeno P, and the likes. These would be like the Aslans of NZ. I don't know any other Aussie bands that are contemporary.

Good call on The Presets. The album is quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Lots of stuff to check out before I head over. Although, I wouldn't stick Flight of the Conchords on the CD player. The show is hilarious but the music works better with it.

I have a guilty pleasure Powderfinger obsession since I went out with an Aussie 6 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

Check out the "Dissociatives" album. think they just made one album, tis daniel johns and paul mac...tis good stuff. there's some stuff on youtube of em...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭pucan

kittex wrote: »
    I have a guilty pleasure Powderfinger obsession

Absolutely no need to feel guilty about it

Advertisement