Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wot should i do?!

Options
  • 22-08-2008 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hope i posted this in the correct part of the forum. Back in May I was stopped for speeding in my car also the tax on my car was also out of date since April but the Guard in question let me away with just a speeding fine. I paid my fine then my car was off the road until the other day the Guards stopped me again because I didn’t have tax on my car since April as it was off the road. I explained the situation to the Guard and he just told me to produce my tax at local Garda station within ten days. I have now got a signed form from my local Guard stating my car was off the road between the dates of May until August. I feel guilty that the Guard didn’t notice that I was stopped in May for speeding. So im just wondering now if I go to tax office and pay my tax for only August would they notice that I was stopped in May for speeding?? I just don’t want to get an innocent person in trouble in my mess were as the same time I don’t want to pay for road tax when my car was off the road??
    Please help!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Fanfan wrote: »
    So im just wondering now if I go to tax office and pay my tax for only August would they notice that I was stopped in May for speeding??

Relax, you have your letter from the guards saying you were off the road, so you are covered. Pay for August, and don't do it again, you naughty fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Fanfan wrote: »
    I go to tax office and pay my tax for only August would they notice that I was stopped in May for speeding??
    The staff in the MTO wouldn't have the slightest bit of interest in your speeding conviction (and how would they know about it anyway?).

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Zube wrote: »
    Relax, you have your letter from the guards saying you were off the road, so you are covered. Pay for August, and don't do it again, you naughty fan.

Nope, what he has is a form that he filled out that a Garda witenessed. The Gards are not verifying that it was off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,363 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

That is a joke. You were out of tax in may when stopped so you should have got it then as you used it in may. Pay you bills like everyone else. Gardai could well notice that you were on the road due to the speeding fine. There was a court case recently here where guy was stopped for messing with his car. couple of months later, his wife goes and gets form signed by guard to say car was off road. End result he ended up in court with a big fine

• Registered Users Posts: 65,442 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mickdw wrote: »
    Gardai could well notice that you were on the road due to the speeding fine.

+1

Not likely to happen, but if it does the OP faces a charge of fraud. Mightn't even get away with just a fine then. I wouldn't risk it myself and I would just cough up the back tax since May

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It is possible to pay the back tax for May only, and declare the car off the road for the intervening months.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement