Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Album of the Week #46 - Temple of the Dog

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

Ill agree with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I was hoping for lateralus (next week, next week) but i'm happy with this. what an album!!! i'm lucky to be old enough to remember it being pushed on mtv...when mtv europe still showed a lot of mtv america music shows. eddie vedder and mike macready were unknowns when this album was released.

As with a lot of albums, it takes you back to the time, place and people you were with when you first heard it, and this was my grunge...hearing this, PJ, soundgarden and nirvana pretty much in the same timeframe.

all the songs are excellent, (esp hunger strike) but another one for me is special. your saviour, as i had to learn it to audition for a band, and i'd never relly tried to learn a song in an odd time before and i was only playing bass a couple of months. but after a lot of work i got it down (yeah in hindsight its an easy song to play, but i was a kid!) ...so its my favourite on the album

only vid with good audio i could find, excuse the graphics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Ah I love this album. It's so refreshing because it utilises the talents of the respective members but the sound is much more melodic and relaxed than the energetic rock that Soundgarden and Pearl Jam released in the years before and after this.

And if there's any doubt as to whether Chris Cornell really was the greatest vocalist ever, listen to his spectacular vocals on the opening track Say Hello 2 Heaven. My favourite track off the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Wow... what a great album, I'm gonna root it out when I get home... for some reason Pushin Forward Back came right into my head and I have not heard this album for YONKS!! Great song and guitar intro... I think I even got this album in one of the double length carboard box thingys they used to have years ago, to try and mimic the 'walking around with a vinyl under your arm' effect!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I adore this album! And it took so long to get it here! Hunger Strike sticks out. Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell = Total awsomeness! After this, I really started listening to Soundgarden a bit more closely, and then moved onto Mother Love Bone, Green River and Stone Temple Pilots. Never liked Nirvana though. Before this, I listened to Pearl Jam religiously. I still do, I suppose, but not as much thanks to this :D I'd love to see them go back and tour, or even make another album, even though Cornell's voice is pretty much shot now. In fact, I think I'll hide away for a few days and listen to all my Seattle based albums....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Picked this up this album a few months ago after many mentions in the AotW thread and other threads, great stuff altogether. Especially like Say hello 2 heaven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Dave H

Excellent choice.
    I love that first riff in Your Saviour (now that I think of it,same goes for the rest) and I think Wooden Jesus is possibly one the greatest songs ever written.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

Apparently McCready did a ten minute solo in the middle of recording one of these songs. As someone mentioned before, he was unknown before this album.

Regards Cornell being the greatest singer (at the time), I don't think this album is anywhere near his best. Down On The Upside is my favourite Soundgarden album, listen to Overfloater and to me that personifies Cornells ability (when tied with Thayil's guitars).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

Froot wrote: »
    Apparently McCready did a ten minute solo in the middle of recording one of these songs. As someone mentioned before, he was unknown before this album.

Regards Cornell being the greatest singer (at the time), I don't think this album is anywhere near his best. Down On The Upside is my favourite Soundgarden album, listen to Overfloater and to me that personifies Cornells ability (when tied with Thayil's guitars).

Not quite 10 mins, but the solo in Reach Down (epic song IMO) was recorded on the first take. Mike was so into it that partway through his headphones flew off and he finished the solo without the backing track!

I feel priveleged to have seen 5/6 of the band playing Hunger Strike live (and make it onto the bootleg roaring Hunger Strike while eddie was about to introduce the song!)!

Would love to have been in Santa Barbara this night on october 28th 2003!

Advertisement