Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Broadband Reception

Options
  • 22-08-2008 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

Just doing some research for my Mother who will be moving to Sligo and wants to get mobile broadband.

Does anyone know what the coverage/reception is like for any of the providers in the Ballymote, Riverstown or Collooney areas?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

dont know about your area, but most of the websites have coverage maps, but wouldn't totally go by coverage

need to consider contention ratio, or possible number of users in the area, i'm quite close to the centre of sligo, often have maximum reception, but if using in the evening, spped can drop right down due to number of users

i could have a lower signal, and say be on late at night, download would be faster due to less users, or i could be in a rural area, have alow signal, and fast speeds, but unstable due to distance from cell

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

And what provider are you on?

I have o2 mobile broadband, which I think has been good in the places I've used it (Dublin, Galway, Limerick, Monaghan) but the coverage map for it is patchy over the areas mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I use 3 Mobile, its grand in some areas of my house. I live near in the Crozon area.

I'm posting from Clare now and its great, Cork was fine aswell.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Ballymote, Riverstown or Collooney can be tricky enough for phone reception at the best of times.

I think o2 will give you the mobile broadband modem which is refundable after 7 days I think for you to try out the area.

A friend of mine tried it in Ballygawley and returned it after he could not get a signal.

Hope this helps:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

3g has a hard time finding a signil out at brookelawns at the best of times

• Advertisement

I don't know the Sligo area, so are Brooklawns and Crozon near the areas I was asking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

Fletch123 wrote: »
    I don't know the Sligo area, so are Brooklawns and Crozon near the areas I was asking about?

brooklawns is down near finisklin industrial estate, crozon is up near the esso 24 hour

My mother is moving to the area, not me, don't know Sligo at all.

Are those places near Ballymote, Riverstown or Collooney areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

No all of those places are in town. Ballymote, Riverstown and Collooney are outside of town. About 20/30 mins drive I think.

You'd probably be best trying out the ones you can bring back if you aren't happy with them just in case you can't get the network.

I've heard from a friend that used Vodafone out in Collooney and he said it was ok. But he went to Eircom eventually as it was more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

There used to be very dodgy Vodaphone coverage in Riverstown but I'm not sure how it is these days. I knew of someone who used to have to go out and across the street before he could get coverage. AFAIK there is an O2 mast beside the Garda station.

• Advertisement

Takola- thanks for clearing the geography issue up!

I'll tell her to get it on a trial, see what happens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Op, why do you want a mobile provider? All three towns that you mentioned have at least one provider, maybe more, that can do broadband faster and hopefully cheaper than the mobile providers. How often is your mother really going to be out and about and need to fire off an email post haste? Thats the point of mobile broadband, not everyday usage unless there is no alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

o2 BB coverage in Ballymote is $hite.
    You'll only get EDGE which is a whopping 236k max!

As someone said go buy one and avail of the 14 day return thingy and head to the area your mum is interested in.

You'll get a fair idea from just parking in a residential area and trying it on a laptop in the car.

Brianthebard- because she isn't planning on staying at the same address for more than 12 months, so doesn't want to be screwed over by a months contract.

And yeah, maybe she will need to be firing off emails post haste, you haven't a clue what line of work she's in :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Fletch123 wrote: »
    Brianthebard- because she isn't planning on staying at the same address for more than 12 months, so doesn't want to be screwed over by a months contract.

And yeah, maybe she will need to be firing off emails post haste, you haven't a clue what line of work she's in :P

More than 12 months. So she will be there for the 12 months anyway?
    If so isn't that the min required for a contract with Eircom or whoever?

I'd have to agree with Brian. The mobile bb can be more expensive and less reliable.

Best thing she can do is try the mobile BB out when she moves in.
    If the coverage is poor land it back and see what fixed line alternatives are available.

Sorry, meant to say that she'll be there for less than 12months.

Anyways, I know my broadband, just wondering if tehre's coverage, I'll take the advice on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Well you should at least consider that it may be cheaper and a better service to get a 12 month contract with a fixed line than a mobile service. No matter what type of work shes in.

Advertisement