Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem installing new nvidia drivers

Options
  • 22-08-2008 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

I've been out of the loop of the whole pc gaming thing for a while, so sorry if this is a stupid question...

I just bought a new PC, and everything's fine but I'd like to update to the newest version of nvidia display drivers anyway. I have a MSI 8800GT 512MB OC. The drivers on the CD will install fine, but I've tried both the recommended drivers from the Nvidia website and the version on the MSI website (175.19 and 175.16) and neither install properly. My screen is reset to 800*600 with 8 bit colours or something like that. I have uninstalled the old drivers before trying the new ones each time. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

are you sure that the new drivers are not installed?
    the screen usually resets to 800x600 and the colour reduces for me when i update the drivers. (however this of course would happen if they didn't get installed)

Basic things to try ( with the new drivers):

right click on the desktop and if ''nvida control panel'' is there press it there you can set the resolution etc

If above doesn't work report back the following:
    Go into device manager and see if there is a yellow marker next to video display if so then your new drivers are not installed

Does the install of the new drivers hang or what happens?

the post is a bit all over the place but you didn't really give enough info about your system and problem....so i cant be blamed lol :p

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭PonderStibbons

Hi, thanks for the reply. Sorry for being so vague, wasn't sure what information was needed exactly. I checked all the stuff you mentioned there, and I'm fairly sure that the drivers aren't installing. They seem to install fine, and everything is normal until I restart my computer. I don't have the Nvidia control panel, and I can't alter my resolution through the windows display properties either. Strangely though, when I check for the graphics card in the device manager it seems to be installed fine - its in under the correct name and there's no yellow marker beside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

uninstall the drivers.

Use drive cleaner pro to fully remove any traces left of the drivers from the uninstall:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/login.php?do=login

Then try reinstall the latest drivers and see how you get on.

Also re downlaod the latest drivers: you could just have a bum download..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Driver Sweeper is a much better and easier to use driver cleaner, I used use Driver Cleaner Pro but have now changed. Advantages of it are that it shows you exactly what its removing, allows for backups and best of all it can memorise the positions of your desktop icons :D

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭PonderStibbons

Thanks guys, I tried the newest beta drivers and they seem to have installed fine, so I think I'll leave it alone for the moment. Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

I've found that the Nvidia drivers can go bananas if you try to install them while a S-Video cable is plugged into the TV-out, even if the TV isn't powered on at the other end of the cable. Found that the monitor would keep switching off as soon as Vista had booted to the desktop, just after the driver install and reboot, seemingly making the TV-out the main display.
    Took a good while to cop that it was the S-video cable that was causing the problem. For some reason once it happens, no amount of driver cleaning/uninstalling/reinstalling or even using different drivers will sort it until the TV-out is unplugged. This was on an XFX 8800GT Alphadog edition and Forceware 177.83 by the way. Anyway if someone else encounters similar, plug out your TV-out!

Advertisement