Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

psy after arts help please

• 22-08-2008 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

im going into my final year of psychology through arts in ucc and i really want to continue psychology
    howver im not sure how and its really hard to find info

all the conversion courses in ireland seem really hard to get into
    i would consider going else where but am inding it hard to get nfo on this too

i know other people must have done it so i would be greatful to know how theyt went about it or any other info or advise
    would it be a good idea for me to do psy modules through oscail
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Not sure I understand fully but by through Arts do you mean it's not quite 'pure' psych and that you'd need to do something else to have a full undergrad before moving on?

Have a look here http://www.psihq.ie/members_studentNews.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 kau

ya psychology is my minor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Doghouse

I recently completed the Higher Diploma in Psychology in a Dublin university. I've heard it's quite hard to get on to but tbh I think everyone on the course got it on their first application. We all came from very different educational backgrounds so it's a little hard to generalise in terms of what might be helpful when applying. However, a few things come to mind as being useful when applying: having some sort of relevant work or volunteer experience, e.g. charity, educational or health related area; and having a realistic idea of what psychology involves in terms of being a science e.g. stats etc. (having done Psychology as a minor would probably mean you'd have a good idea of what the course would involve anyway). I don't know if it's necessary to do any extra courses in psychology - the main educational requirement is a minimum 2.2 in your degree. Some people on my course had just a degree, some had done masters and some had done various other certs or diplomas after their degree. Again, there wasn't one qualification that was more prevalent than another. One thing I've noticed with all the people that I've met in both UCD and Trinity who were doing the HDip Psych is that all were at least a year or two out of college before starting the course. I don't know of anyone who went straight from their undergrad to this course. I hope this is of some help. If you've any more specific questions pm me!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 adastra

I did Arts in NUIG (psychology and sociology/politics), and then I did my Graduate Diploma (conversion) in London. I knew the Irish courses would be difficult to get into, so I applied for a good few Grad Dips in England. Nearly all of them accepted a 2:2, which is what I'd got, and all of them offered me a place....so in England its not difficult to get onto a course! Of course, the only thing with going over there is the money. Granted, London is probably the most expensive place I could have gone, but I had to take out a €10,000 loan which I'm still paying back, and I was still flat broke for the whole year, hehe

Advertisement