Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS on mobiles for free

• 22-08-2008 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,071 ✭✭✭✭

Was looking at getting a new phone around christmas and want one that will do GPS.

At the moment I am looking at the Samsung Innov8 and the SE Xperia1. Nokia n96 is also on my watch list.

Anyway, I see loads of people going on about how GPS on your phone can cost lost through downloading info. Can you not get mobile versions of Garmin and the like to install on your phone (as the GB capacity would be there) and then use it like a normal GPS system which doesn't cost any money after the initial outlay?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,131 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

course you can, garmin or tomtom

they have versions for s60 and for wm6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

the downloading info stuff would be like traffic warnings and other related info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,071 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Cyrus wrote: »
    course you can, garmin or tomtom

they have versions for s60 and for wm6
    the downloading info stuff would be like traffic warnings and other related info.

Cheers - I thought it would be possible, but the amount of people who had been talking about it costing money to use had me a little worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,131 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

must be referring to google maps maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,071 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

yeah -some people were talking about google maps, some were talking about Nokia maps - i wasn't sure if Nokia maps were internet based as google maps are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Nokia maps can be set to download nothing.

Advertisement