Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Valencia Circuit the worst yet

• 22-08-2008 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

After the horror of Bahrain and Shanghai, this new circuit is the worst yet. Just watching the practice here - it looks like they are driving around an industrial estate in Siberia.

Just wait until you see it. :o

Also, it looks very dangerous in parts - there are artificial walls nearly the whole way around so any contact will lead to a big smash. The section after the start particularly looks dodgy...if a car gets stranded there, it's pretty much a blind very high speed bend.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

IanCurtis wrote: »
    After the horror of Bahrain and Shanghai, this new circuit is the worst yet. Just watching the practice here - it looks like they are driving around an industrial estate in Siberia.

Just wait until you see it. :o

Also, it looks very dangerous in parts - there are artificial walls nearly the whole way around so any contact will lead to a big smash. The section after the start particularly looks dodgy...if a car gets stranded there, it's pretty much a blind very high speed bend.

Sounds like my kind of circuit. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭vectra

it looks like they are driving around an industrial estate

They are exactly thr words I used when I first saw them driving around :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Give it a coupla years, it'll looks very different over the next few years I should think.

I like the actual track itself, should give some good racing. Bit aesthetically challenged at the moment though I will agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Who cares what the backdrop looks like, what happened to all the overtaking we were promised? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Who cares what the backdrop looks like, what happened to all the overtaking we were promised? :mad:

What a snorefest.

I looked at a computer simulation of the track during the week and I thought to myself "what the fvck are they talking about there is nowhere to overtake on this track".

I dont understand why they dont just build tracks that really promote overtaking....its not rocket science. Maybe it will get better but I thought that was a ****e race today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭rua1972

EvilMonkey wrote: »

Coulthard tried. But as before this season it brought him nothing. It was said to be the race of the year, i almost fell asleep. It was a boring race, why don't they just stick to the circuits that give good races?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

It's the cars rather than the tracks causing most of the problems. Hopefully that will change somewhat with the new regs for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Is it over yet I fell asleep...

jhegarty wrote: »
    Is it over yet I fell asleep...

Well,
    Seeing as you are awake now you should know :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Man what a low point of the season so far. For me anyway. Reminded me of the bad old days of a few years back.
    What a poor track. And at the start all the talk was of the pace car! What the hell kind of a racing strategy involves waiting for a pace car? I know it's common and pace car tactics win races, but jaysus, it just feels so anti-racing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

it just feels so anti-racing.

++

There is so much money involved in the sport these days that the top teams are going for the safe bet ( cough Mclaren cough ).

The worst thing about the sport now for me though is that once the get within the 1.5 second mark its impossible to overtake. From my understanding alot of it is down to the difusers. I wish they would take them out completely. At least then a car could try and get a decent bit of slipstream and try a pass.

++

There is so much money involved in the sport these days that the top teams are going for the safe bet ( cough Mclaren cough ).

The worst thing about the sport now for me though is that once the get within the 1.5 second mark its impossible to overtake. From my understanding alot of it is down to the difusers. I wish they would take them out completely. At least then a car could try and get a decent bit of slipstream and try a pass.

++ 1,000

Bring back real racing ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

terrible terrible race most boring of the season so far couldnt understand the commentators being so excited over the circuit (and why didnt massa get a stop go , anything but a ferrari would've)

(and why didnt massa get a stop go , anything but a ferrari would've)

Let me think...??
    Ah
    You are a Loser Hamilton fan I take it?
    There is another thread dealing with the massa incident ( That never happened) Post your views over there :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Agree - that was utter crap.:mad:

Anyone know if the Singapore circuit will be any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

SteveC wrote: »
    Agree - that was utter crap.:mad:

Anyone know if the Singapore circuit will be any good?

It will be more of a spectacle at night obviously, but the track looks as tight as a man's annooos (as Borat would say) - overtaking could be non-existent as in Valencia.

470px-Singapore_street_circuit_v2.svg.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

google earth flyby
    http://www.earthsg.com/index.php?option=com_esg&act=mups&task=list&cid=38

sit in raffles drinking singapore slings preceded by tiffin

soundsgoodto me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

Sh!te race in fairness. Coulthard's half attempt was about it. Very narrow circuit.

To think in this sport you CAN'T overtake because you are too close to the car in front. Remember a few years ago once you got that close, that was it, next straight, slipstream and the postion was yours!

Roll on next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

How are they going to do lighting at the night race? Will they put headlights on the car or will they just work off street lights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

It'll be flood lights around the circuit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

It will be more of a spectacle at night obviously, but the track looks as tight as a man's annooos (as Borat would say) - overtaking could be non-existent as in Valencia.

470px-Singapore_street_circuit_v2.svg.png

That reminds me of Spa for some reason. Probably not as spectacular though. Can't wait for the Belgian GP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

What a load a shight that was. No overtaking and circuit was incredibly boring. Monaco is picturesque enough to hold your attention but this was just grey and black for 90% of the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Ay Cee wrote: »
    It'll be flood lights around the circuit.
    Boo.. Big unaerodynamic headlights is what they wanted.

The Valencia circuit did look like a building site but knowing the Spanish they'll have fancy tower block apartments up there in no time. I wouldn't be surprised if it looks completely different this time next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

ScumLord wrote: »
    Boo.. Big unaerodynamic headlights is what they wanted.

The Valencia circuit did look like a building site but knowing the Spanish they'll have fancy tower block apartments up there in no time. I wouldn't be surprised if it looks completely different this time next year.

Yeah they've big plans for the general docks area. Having a race there is part of it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Lucy Lu

The race may not have been the best I have seen but I will say there was a good atmosphere at the track and it was all very well organised. Even though the Spanish went very quiet when Alonso went out most of them stayed on and supported Massa.

I would agree that it will probably look different next year, there is a lot of work going on to build up the whole docklands area.

Advertisement