Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Merged] Graduates Recession Discussion

• 22-08-2008 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭

I finished college in May, IT Degree accomplished, still cant find work, applying everywhere.

[Edit Jesjes]Please keep all discuss on the recession/economy here. Any new threads will be merged/destroyed! Stay positive![/Jesjes]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

dbnavan wrote: »
    I finished college in May, IT Degree accomplished, still cant find work, applying everywhere.

Do you have experience? Have you had someone review your CV? There could be a number of reasons not necessarily the job markets... Have you talked to a career guidance cousellor at your college? They can sometimes give pointers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

Do you have experience?

its the irony

... have you experience ... no I was in uni..

...have you qualifications...no I was working...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Darren1o1 wrote: »
    Do you have experience? Have you had someone review your CV? There could be a number of reasons not necessarily the job markets... Have you talked to a career guidance cousellor at your college? They can sometimes give pointers.

Returned to college as a mature student, have worked in support and computer educational roles before returning to college, of all the students on my course I am the only one with 'pending' on my online application with a large IT company in Dublin, everyone else got letters of unsucessful applications.

I am 29 and have been involved in IT since I was 17, 3 or 4 agencies have told me I have a "very impressive" CV for a graduate. Still no job offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

Welcome to the Recession.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Have a look at my sig, grad forum and discussion on "recession" effecting our chances of employment. Also, occasionaly people post about positions opening up!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 691 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

I feel your pain..I did my degree in IT a few yrs ago and as there was very little work at the time I went on to do my Masters...in Music Technology (which I've always wanted to do). Now that I'm finishing up my masters some of my old IT class buddies are still looking, and I'll be laughing cuz it's dead easy to get a job in the music industry!! :rolleyes: :( yeah right frickin 10 times harder!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 goodcitizen

dbnavan wrote: »
    Returned to college as a mature student, have worked in support and computer educational roles before returning to college, of all the students on my course I am the only one with 'pending' on my online application with a large IT company in Dublin, everyone else got letters of unsucessful applications.

I am 29 and have been involved in IT since I was 17, 3 or 4 agencies have told me I have a "very impressive" CV for a graduate. Still no job offers.

I've been told that by agencies as well but no offers ever, maybe they were humouring me? :o

Finished a BSC degree in computers and networking myself back in 2005 and couldn't find a job either as well as nearly everybody else on the course.

Oh yeah, I think 2 people found phone answering jobs for 300 euros a week that were just looking for english speakers only.
    The only available 'foot in the door' IT jobs after that, that I could find, around Cork anyway, were ones that were looking for 3 or 4 years experience and fluency in foreign languages such as Arabic, Dutch and Mandrin. There was no mention of a degree requirement.

So, in my opinion, experience and languages and not degrees is what they look for in this industry just for a starter position.
    If I knew at the time I would have done a language course instead. :o

Ever since then, I've been confused by listening on the radio, people bemoaning the fact that there is a low take up of IT courses when there are 1000's of IT jobs available for graduates, yet I can't find one and I've been working in an unskilled dead end job ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭DJDC

Quick question: where are you guys picking these degrees up from? Im guessing not from the NUI's or TCD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pearlpunjabi

HI all,

I am starting to feel really depressed. Just finished my Masters in Business with a brilliant result. Have also another Diploma. I can speak fluently 3 languages (only European unfortunately). I have 5 years of office work experience. I am 27. Impossible to find any job. Had one interview but was told that my experience was "too specific" for the position (basic admin job, salary "in the region of low 20":eek:). What I am suppose to do????:( I posted already hundreds of copies of my CV. My CV has been checked by many persons. It is perfect. Whats wrong then??????????????There are jobs out there and my qualifications and experience match them (in my opinion). So what is wrong???? Apologies for being so negative but I really do not know what to do next? Started to think about Australia. Knowledge economy !? :confused: Where?? What are we talking about???

DJDC wrote: »
    Quick question: where are you guys picking these degrees up from? Im guessing not from the NUI's or TCD

That comment just rubbed me up the wrong way, big time.
    A Degree is a Degree, I got mine from Blanchardstown IT, which has a The National Qualifications Authority of Ireland grade 8, qualification with it so I dont believe you have an arguement there my friend. And I worked bloody hard for it you make it sound like I picked it up on the back of a cornflakes box.

FACT graduates from an Insititue of Technology also get more hands on expierence then your friends in TCD who can graduate with an IT degree without having seen a router or a switch, never mind using one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 goodcitizen

The CIT, but what the **** has that got to do with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

As condescending as DJDCs comment may have been, I have been told by a lecturer about companies refusing to take IT grads because their degree wasn't from TCD or UCD.

Go figure. Muppets.

I think it depends on the type of work you want to do db; I remember when I was looking last year I knew what type of work I didnt want to do but then there didnt seem to be that much work available that I was interested in.

sorta a catch22 I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭DJDC

Life isnt fair. A lot of multinationals place a high importance on Leaving Cert points which makes life difficult for people who got into certain 3rd level courses.For all your 'hands on skills', the salary levels and unemployment rates of regional IT's speak for themselves.

Life isnt fair. A lot of multinationals place a high importance on Leaving Cert points which makes life difficult for people who got into certain 3rd level courses.For all your 'hands on skills', the salary levels and unemployment rates of regional IT's speak for themselves.

source? (I would like you to show me this comparision you speak about - Do you work in the recruitment industry)

Never heard of any company ask for leaving points, after a college degree as been achieved. Infact I didnt get a very good leaving and I have been told companies look at your most recent qualifaction rather then something I did 11 years ago!

How does a good grade in English Irish and History(Studied for 2 years, 10 years ago), trump grades in Software Development, Networking, IT Security etc(Studied for 4 years, finishing this year) for an IT Development position?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 gradireland

Hi there

If you are graduating you might be interested in the gradireland Graduate Careers Fair.

gradireland Graduate Careers Fair
    Tuesday 14 October 2008
    Main Hall, RDS, Ballsbridge, Dublin
    11.00 am - 5.00 pm
    FREE ENTRY

Register at www.thegraduatecareersfair.ie

gradireland Graduate Careers Fair will feature 170+ companies an about 5,000 jobs, including some of the largest graduate recruiters in Ireland and abroad, several postgraduate providers, small to medium size companies and volunteer organisations.
    A series of talks and seminars will run throughout the day and careers advisers will be at hand for one-to-one careers advice sessions.

gradireland Graduate Careers Fair starts at 11.00 am . Make sure you are there early so you can make the most of all the services available and get to talk to as many companies as possible.
    user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Kenn sprinter

After 5 years of studying forestry management, diploma (I.T) and degree (2.1) (U.C). The forest industry has gone belly up due to government cutbacks. There is no work available. Think I might go away and do a masters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

As someone who will be graduating from an IT this year, I'm sad but understanding about the fact that some employers don't give great an IT grad.

If they themselves come from an NUI or even TCD, they will want to employ similar given the chance - and why not? Sure if they give a position to someone from an IT - which to be honest are usually given underdog status - over someone from their own cadre, they are bringing down the percieved value of their own award.

That said, I don't know of the comparisons that can really be made between them. People bandy-about terms like 'real world experience' and 'hands on learning', which is all well and good for basic entry jobs. But going up the ladder (outside R&D) needs visability and clout, which are only gained when people know who you are. And the people to know are obviously in the TCD's UCCs and the NUI chain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Von Manstein

Hey All,

In a similar boat myself. I graduated back in September with a 1.1 Double honours degree in Economics & German. I have been applying for all of this years graduate programmes but genuinely feel its going to get me no where. I likewise have been applying left, right & centre for jobs online and have got no where in over 40 job applications.

Fact is that my qualifications, CV, Cover Letter and everything else is grand. The problem is that companies have all but frozen recruitment because of all the uncertainty in the economy. Not to mention the rout thats going to happen in the new year when the worst hits!

I almost wish I hadn't studied economics. My reason? Having studied it I understand the forcasts and reports coming out on a daily basis. Things are just going from crisis, to chaos, to downright catastrope. All to the point that its hard to fathom just how bad the world economy is at present. And it has'nt even bottomed out yet :(

I watched just today as Citigroup - the worlds biggest bank - effectively collapsed only to be rescued by the US Fed. Two years ago it was worth 250 Billion Dollars. Now its only worth 20 billion. That's how bad things are. Ignorance is bliss!

The thing I cant stand is the sense of uselessness. I want to work, but I just cant get a job! How do you all cope with all the free time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

Hey All,

In a similar boat myself. I graduated back in September with a 1.1 Double honours degree in Economics & German. I have been applying for all of this years graduate programmes but genuinely feel its going to get me no where. I likewise have been applying left, right & centre for jobs online and have got no where in over 40 job applications.

Fact is that my qualifications, CV, Cover Letter and everything else is grand. The problem is that companies have all but frozen recruitment because of all the uncertainty in the economy. Not to mention the rout thats going to happen in the new year when the worst hits!

I almost wish I hadn't studied economics. My reason? Having studied it I understand the forcasts and reports coming out on a daily basis. Things are just going from crisis, to chaos, to downright catastrope. All to the point that its hard to fathom just how bad the world economy is at present. And it has'nt even bottomed out yet :(

I watched just today as Citigroup - the worlds biggest bank - effectively collapsed only to be rescued by the US Fed. Two years ago it was worth 250 Billion Dollars. Now its only worth 20 billion. That's how bad things are. Ignorance is bliss!

The thing I cant stand is the sense of uselessness. I want to work, but I just cant get a job! How do you all cope with all the free time?

Economists these days should be burned at the stake, it's as much a religion as it is a science at this point.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Get a job outside your chosen field of study, and when things pick up apply whatever skills you've learned to your career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Badly. I am bored. Very, very, very bored. I'm handing out cvs everywhere I can just to get a job so I have something to do during the day. I won't get a job in the area I want, and I know that, but if I can get a job doing something else then at least I can save up and leave the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Oakbark

Hey all,

Basically what's in the title - in 2009, when apparently we'll be in the thick of the recession period, what are your plans when you graduate?

Me, I had high hopes and pursued a Masters, little realising I'd have been better off taking a job. Now there doesn't seem to be any work available.

So what are YOU going to do? Get any kind of job you can? Go abroad?

Oak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Emmigrate, work or masters whichever works after that. Currently eyeing up Scandanavia, UK, Canada and New Zealand. Tough to find work as a wet behind the ears graduate though. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

emigrate & job in my field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I don't know what to do to be honest. I can't see what leaving the country is going to do. I too have applied for every job under the sun, even jobs which have no relevance to my degree. It's very frustrating. Only response you ever get is that the job is on hold. Why the fook did you advertise it then. It's really depressing, especially considering how crap my career went over the past 2 years when I left my job. Should have stayed where I was. Merry Christmas :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Badly. I am bored. Very, very, very bored. I'm handing out cvs everywhere I can just to get a job so I have something to do during the day. I won't get a job in the area I want, and I know that, but if I can get a job doing something else then at least I can save up and leave the country.

I draw comics, after rarely working in a job that's barely related to my field... Comic drawing is not related to my field either, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fluffysierra

I managed to secure a job for after I graduate before things really hit the fan. Extremely lucky :)

Same as last poster. Dont know how much I am loving the job since we're mid-campaign and crazy busy but... better than no job.

There are other threads on this topic... maybe someday I will merge them all.

Anyone looking at the incentives they're doing in the UK? Offering low wage pay for recent graduates... benefit for companies and graduates. Maybe the Irish Gov will consider similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

Until recently I was thinking about getting a job for a couple of years and then potentially doing a PhD but considering the economic situation I may look just to go straight into the PhD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I couldn't find a job and went back to do a Masters.
    Job still looks unlikely after that so a few of us from
    my class are probably going to have a look at starting
    our own business.

We will be the new IBM :pac:......

Advertisement