Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Merged] Graduates Recession Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Jesjes wrote: »
    Anyone looking at the incentives they're doing in the UK? Offering low wage pay for recent graduates... benefit for companies and graduates. Maybe the Irish Gov will consider similar.

I think what they are doing in the UK is an excellent idea. It is the one
    thing that all graduates and companies require......EXPERIENCE.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 andrewsyc

I'll be getting an associates degree soon. I found that it's hard to get parttime work now. I used to always get a reply back from several employers but not anymore.

What's your story?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Honestly, I feel like HIDING until the recession is over, arrghh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

can i hide aswell?! go into hibernation maybe? wake me up when its all over? well i graduated end of 08' applying for an MA at the moment and im looking for work but not much around at all....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

I'm graduating in november this year. Thinking about hitching to China, hidind in a rice paddy whilst teaching english for my bread and butter until things blow over.

Seriously, how can we be heading for penury after having a GDP of €80Billion?

****ing greed, that's how.

Money + Greed = Eventual Destitution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Applied to the JET program - so if I get accepted to that I'll be heading to Japan. Apart from that - no clue.

*sigh*

we'll keep the fingers crossed for ya! Japan is lovely my friend is over there and he loves it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Oakbark

Ya, good luck with that.

As someone who completed a degree, I had figured that I'd do a Masters to be ultra ready for the workforce. Now, it's impossible to find a finance job. It's also frustrating applying to places like Ulster Bank, knowing with the recent job cuts they're not gonna be taking on hardly anybody.

It's hard to know where to begin, I do realise that this is probably a great time to get into finance, what with the shaking out of the riff-raff and the need for decent, head-on-shoulders people to kick the sector back into shape. The problem is, how the hell does an inexperienced student get a foot in the door? They're barely taking on experienced candidates!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Jewelsster

Given that there are still computing graduate jobs out there, the conversion course in IT is a good idea and it's not as pricy as other Masters programmes and is available part-time and full-time.

It's a good fall-back solution at any rate provided you have an interest in IT as there are still jobs created in this country and computing grads are still in demand in many other countries too (including the US and Oz)...

See here: www.computing.dcu.ie/prospects (I think)

Both UCD and DCU have good conversion Grad Dips for graduates.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Jewelsster

It's a good idea, Shiny. What Masters are you doing?

I keep a record of new jobs in computing here: http://www.computing.dcu.ie/prospective/prospects.html so it would appear jobs are still being created but do you have the right skills for them? Perhaps try to apply for some of these new positions and keep an eye on the site and I keep it up-dated regularly.

DCU computer graduates would appear to be very much in demand.

I run the Champagne Breakfast and Final Year Project Display and last year we had 70 graduates but 150 people present from industry from 90 different organisations all looking to recruit so I find it hard to believe jobs aren't out there.

We also have an INTRA programme which incorporates work experience into the degree - students do this in 3rd year (and get paid mostly too) which employers love and some students are offered jobs off the back of these jobs (pending they get their degree).

Also www.computerjobs.ie have 702 IT jobs on their books.

If you want to firm up your chances you could always consider a Masters in a specific area in computing- they're not expensive relative to other Masters degrees (under 2k pa) and bulk up your CV with a Masters in Software Engineering/Bioinformatics/Business Informatics/E-commerce/ Security and Forensic Computing or the new Computational Science and Complex Systems. There's more info here: www.dcu.ie/computing or you can PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭maherball

Right I have a degree in Chemistry from NUI Maynooth, got a 2.1 and I just can't find any work in my industry I am applying for everything out there but not hearing much back. It's depressing really.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

maherball wrote: »
    Right I have a degree in Pharmacology from UCD, got a 2.1 and I just can't find any work in my industry I am applying for everything out there but not hearing much back. It's depressing really.....

Same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

ok got a BA Degree in Art History and Geography (2.1) and I thought I mite go teaching but I didnt. Did a MAsters in Environmental Management also got 2.1 and now cant get a job. Lacking work experience i guess but everyone has to get experience from somewhere so what can you do? Now Im thinking should I have done teaching? Anyone doing evening courses by any chance? Are they worth it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I have a 2 1 in business honours degree ,Cant get a job since may.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Sputnik101

I think it's the wrong time to be coming out of college and looking for a job! Also never expect to walk into your dream job straight after college it rarely works that way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭jane86

I havin't been able to get a job in the industry with my Degree. I got a part time job a few months back but they havin't needed me yet.

As I'm extremely bored at this point I applied to do volunteer work within the industry my degree is in but was told I didn't make the final volunteer list. :eek::mad: A bit disheartening when not even accepted for volunteer work! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

jane86 wrote: »
    I havin't been able to get a job in the industry with my Degree. I got a part time job a few months back but they havin't needed me yet.

As I'm extremely bored at this point I applied to do volunteer work within the industry my degree is in but was told I didn't make the final volunteer list. :eek::mad: A bit disheartening when not even accepted for volunteer work! :(

Yeah I sent off 20+ CV's to relevant companies enquiring about unpaid internships - only 7 rejections so far, here's hoping :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭4arc

Hey,

Just wondering how recent graduates who now find themselves unemployed without any real career prospects feel about their current situation, what they studied, do they fell the government are doing enough for them and what they have planned for the foreseeable future.

cheers!

(There is another thread similiar to this.)

I graduated in December and I still have no job. I know im not out long but it is so disheartening and im feeling terrible about the situation at the moment. Its not my fault and I cant do nothing about the whole matter like any other unemployed graduate. The Government are doing nothing to help the situation...Graduates are just in the deep end. Your Degrees or paperwork dont mean nothing at the moment its experience which we dont have. Im not sure about my future... it scares me to death to be honest. I cant get employment anywhere.

I hate people especially locals who keep asking if you have a job or not each time you meet them and then look amazed when you tell them you still havent....(they dont realise that there are almost 330,000 people on the live register)ffs.

I dont know guys if ye have experienced this but some people especially your closest friends can be evil and unhelpful to you when you're unemployed. They just do not understand what it is like...Its only the people who have experienced unemployment before understand the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MrMiyagi

4arc wrote: »
    Hey,

Just wondering how recent graduates who now find themselves unemployed without any real career prospects feel about their current situation, what they studied, do they fell the government are doing enough for them and what they have planned for the foreseeable future.

cheers!

Hello,

Dont depend on the goverment. This country is on the periphery of europe, dosent have a large internal economy and has bad infrastrucure (broadband, pub trans etc). It could take 5-10 years for things to get back on track here.

The best option in these times is to immigrate. Being a graduate dosent guarantee you a living especially not in these times. But there are decent options abroad in the middle east, asia and australia etc.

Also, the dole only lasts for 300 days at which point they throw you off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭4arc

MrMiyagi wrote: »

WTF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Paddo81

That cant be right!

Surely if you have proof that your job hunting 24/7 or have the odd interview or even rejection letter that would keep them happy.

Paddo81 wrote: »
    That cant be right!

Surely if you have proof that your job hunting 24/7 or have the odd interview or even rejection letter that would keep them happy.

I dont know best case scenario they will make you do a community employment scheme which is worse than being on the dole.

Anyway the dole is way too high in Ireland its 200 euro. In england its £40. The dole should only be €100 to discourage welfare tourism and encourage people back to work. There should also be support for people who can find work abroad.

Graduated in October. Unemployed. No graduate schemes realting to my field. Have had a few interviews but all pertaining to my previous experience in part time jobs,nothing to do with my degree.

I also spent some time working abroad but cost of living and my lack of hours in my job meant that i had to come home earlier than planned.

Currently applying for MA's so fingers crossed.

My advice

further education or immigration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭WonderAmy

Hey, I'm sure that the dole does not last for 300 days. They have to provided you with some source to help your self live as they cannot give you the payments for only 300 days! And then take it away!

I dont know best case scenario they will make you do a community employment scheme which is worse than being on the dole.

Anyway the dole is way too high in Ireland its 200 euro. In england its £40. The dole should only be €100 to discourage welfare tourism and encourage people back to work. There should also be support for people who can find work abroad.

Yeah €100 is not enough for one person to live off for a week, and yeah maybe over in England its that for a reason but we are here in Ireland and with the price of things that €100 a week wouldn't even feed a person and help them pay their bills or rent. The only reason people are down at the dole offices is because they have no job and its not because they don't want a job its because thy have lost their job and have no means of income.

The best option in these times is to immigrate. Being a graduate dosent guarantee you a living especially not in these times. But there are decent options abroad in the middle east, asia and australia etc.

Are you for real? THere are very little opportunities abroad for graduates now as well during these times. Its a global recession. You cant be going out abroad if you dont have a job lined up before you go. otherwise you are back to square 1 and you'll waste money abroad trying to look for a job.....I know some friends who went to Australia looking for work after graduating and have still found nothing. They are now coming home.

teednab-el wrote: »
    Are you for real? THere are very little opportunities abroad for graduates now as well during these times. Its a global recession. You cant be going out abroad if you dont have a job lined up before you go. otherwise you are back to square 1 and you'll waste money abroad trying to look for a job.....I know some friends who went to Australia looking for work after graduating and have still found nothing. They are now coming home.

When people in Ireland think of immigrating its always Australia or London etc. You cant copy everyone else and expect to get different results.

There are jobs available in places where people dont want to go like the middle east and china etc.

I am so sick of hearing people blaming an incompetent government for not doing enough. Why cant people be accountable in their own lives.

Get real, there arent that many graduate schemes abroad for the course you did in college. Even in the good times alot of people graduate and end up working in an area not related to there college degree.

Ireland is an expensive place to do business in the middle of nowhere that dosent have a big internal economy.

Worst of all the dole is way too high at €200 a week. When things pick up they wont start from here.

WonderAmy wrote: »
    Yeah €100 is not enough for one person to live off for a week, and yeah maybe over in England its that for a reason but we are here in Ireland and with the price of things that €100 a week wouldn't even feed a person and help them pay their bills or rent. The only reason people are down at the dole offices is because they have no job and its not because they don't want a job its because thy have lost their job and have no means of income.

I dont think you believe that yourself.

Look once your rent is paid what do you need. €100 is more than enough.

Say €40 on food = shop in supermarket buy the valu labels this would overfill a trolley.

Say €20 on bills = split between ESB and Heating

Then €40 on clothes / discreationary spend

I have been in dole queues recently and have had to endure people bragging about being "on the swindle" and "being away on holidays for a few weeks".

Its b€llsh*t absolute b€llsh*t

• Advertisement

I dont think you believe that yourself.

Look once your rent is paid what do you need. €100 is more than enough.

Say €40 on food = shop in supermarket buy the valu labels this would overfill a trolley.

Say €20 on bills = split between ESB and Heating

Then €40 on clothes / discretionary spend

I have been in dole queues recently and have had to endure people bragging about being "on the swindle" and "being away on holidays for a few weeks".

Its b€llsh*t absolute b€llsh*t

Yeah and if I had €40 to spend on food and buy as you said *valu labels* what would I get some milk, bread and food that will not last a few day's.

If I had €20 to pay my bills that means €10 for the ESB and €10 for the heating , what happens when they are looking for the rest of the money owed on the bill???

Advertisement