Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Merged] Graduates Recession Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MrMiyagi

WonderAmy wrote: »
    Yeah and if I had €40 to spend on food and buy as you said *valu labels* what would I get some milk, bread and food that will not last a few day's.

Get real would you. A litre of milk is 85c in the supermarket, bread is around €1.50 etc etc.
    WonderAmy wrote: »
    If I had €20 to pay my bills that means €10 for the ESB and €10 for the heating , what happens when they are looking for the rest of the money owed on the bill???

€10 a week for ESB = €80 over the 2 months of the bill which should more than cover it. My esb bill is €50 every 2 months.

This kind of nonsense wont help our case when we need an IMF bailout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

MrMiyagi wrote: »
    There are jobs available in places where people dont want to go like the middle east and china etc.

You tell me why people dont want to go to these places? Because first of all there is a language barrier, Not all these countries in the middle east and China can speak English fluently.. one would possibly have to go away and learn the spoken language which is not easy. And alot of middle eastern countries are suffering in poverty ....why would one want to move out to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

teednab-el wrote: »
    You tell me why people dont want to go to these places? Because first of all there is a language barrier, Not all these countries in the middle east and China can speak English fluently.. one would possibly have to go away and learn the spoken language which is not easy. And alot of middle eastern countries are suffering in poverty ....why would one want to move out to that.

Allot of places in the middle east such as the UAE have a large ex pat community and recruit heavily from Ireland and the UK. They rely on british and US building standard and thus business is usually communicated through English. As such it can be seen as an option.

Languages should not be seen as a barrier by the ambitious. By learning another language you only make yourself more valuable. I have seen this to be the case.

Poverty can be seen where ever you go. There is allot of poverty in Ireland, it just depends on if you choose to see it or not!

I am an engineer abroad. Allot of my pals (2007 grads) have travelled and found themselves with Jobs. Oz, Uk, Canada, US etc etc... It depends heavily on the field and simply to say there are no job is foolish and blind. Certain industry as crying out for suitable graduates. There are so many recruitment fairs all the time for places all around the world (I speak about engineerings as this is my experience).

Just keep an open mind and ask the advice of someone already there. I am not saying it will not be difficault to acclimatise but sometimes it is not that hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

You seem to have some serious chip on your shoulder Mr.Myagi.
    MrMiyagi wrote:
    Dont depend on the goverment. This country is on the periphery of europe, dosent have a large internal economy and has bad infrastrucure (broadband, pub trans etc). It could take 5-10 years for things to get back on track here.

The best option in these times is to immigrate.
    Blindly telling a person to immigrate is a ridiculous notion. For one, the States and the UK are in serious trouble as well. Secondly, there is still demand out there for science, IT and certain finance qualifications. For cryin' out loud, you don't even know what sort of qualifications these people have.

This is not the 80's. There are opportunities out there, they might require shifting a skill set or thinking for yourself, but they're still there.
    MrMiyagi wrote:
    Worst of all the dole is way too high at €200 a week. When things pick up they wont start from here.
    The last thing any unemployed person needs to hear is your tripe. €200 a week for a single young person is one thing, but when you've got a mortgage and a family to feed it's quite another.

Maybe if the unemployed graduates could tell us what area they''re in, we could make some useful suggestions as to where to go from here?

demand out there for science, IT and certain finance qualifications.

Yes there is demand for EXPERIENCED HIRES in some of these areas for someone with 2-3 years experience not a 6 month internship.

Languishing here for 5 or 6 years for things to pick up is not an option. Further college is always behind the real world so its only an option if you want to be a lecturer.
    States and the UK are in serious trouble
    I didnt say anything about going to the USA or UK.

Look at the encouraging post from the previous poster. He graduated in Engineering couldnt get work at home so went to the Middle East and adapted and is now a sucess.

€200 a week for a single young person is one thing, but when you've got a mortgage and a family to feed it's quite another.

Come on very few couples are on the dole. The goverment is stepping in here by preventing reposesions and mabs gives good advice and support to people with loans who loose their jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

I didnt say anything about going to the USA or UK.

Look at the encouraging post from the previous poster. He graduated in Engineering couldnt get work at home so went to the Middle East and adapted and is now a sucess.\

I am based out of the US. Depending on the industry, some have a large effect, some have none. I am lucky in that there is little effect (as of yet) in mine due to its diverse nature. Canada as I am aware has had a reasonable although not completely sheltered time in this economical storm. I have friends in the UK who found it relatively easy to get jobs too, even after applying from Ireland.

All I would mention to the above posters is to keep an open mind. It takes time to find a job (It did even in the good time), and it seems like people are using it as an excuse. I can only take about engineering (as this is my experience) but I have had buddies with little or no experience get jobs recently, but it took time and patience.

A few tips,
    1. Have you resume review by friends and HR people. University careers people are pretty sharp.
    2. Ask lecturers for contacts, I know my university has alot of companies who go direct to the lecturers/dept.
    3. Spending time doing one good application is better than doing ten "meh" ones.
    4. Sell yourself! Hobbies, software skills (incl microsoft), thesis etc may be that little thing to seperate you from the crowd.
    5. On the other hand NO-ONE should have a resume over 2 pages, 1 if you can! Cut the LC and JC results out, no need for your life story etc...

After you spend the time and work hard you may find a job, som people may need to leave the country. Working at it may get you there is all i am saying. Best of luck everyone!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I dont think you believe that yourself.

Look once your rent is paid what do you need. €100 is more than enough.

Say €40 on food = shop in supermarket buy the valu labels this would overfill a trolley.

Say €20 on bills = split between ESB and Heating

Then €40 on clothes / discreationary spend

I have been in dole queues recently and have had to endure people bragging about being "on the swindle" and "being away on holidays for a few weeks".

Its b€llsh*t absolute b€llsh*t

Stop double posting in various threads or you will be reported and banned!

The above I have seen twice in other threads. IMO you are a WUM
    Cop on.

jank wrote: »
    Stop double posting in various threads or you will be reported and banned!

The above I have seen twice in other threads. IMO you are a WUM
    Cop on.

Thanks for the hate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

reported, thanks for the love:pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Guys guys guys. Relax. If you're all in the same boat, why not try be supportive of one another rather than playing them blame game.

There has been some good advice given here, try taking some of it.

I've been very lucky and gotten a job, but a lot of people who graduated with me (June 08) are either in full time education for a masters, or are aboard, or are... unemployed. Its not easy, but at least we dont have mortgages and kids. We can go abroad or back to college, OR hold out for a good job. It's not the end of the world, though it can be depressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭4arc

I see that our threads got merged!

Anyway, we should move away from discussing wether the dole is too generous or not, if ur on it then you will know if it is or not!

Didnt mention my degree, got a 2.1 in architecture from UCD, been looking for work for several months now, but nothing.

Now I dont know bout the various sectors people were talking bout, but unemployment in architecture is expected to reach 41% this year!!!!!!!!!

Needless to say I've had to look at other options, mostly postgrads, but to be honest its not reassuring as some people in this thread have done masters and are still at square one. also I cant really afford it!!!

I was even considering doing a full-time postgrad diploma out in the year due to the current economic depression but I have one question I need to ask you guys...I know it may depend on the economic situation when i finish the diploma but how will it look on my CV to an employer when they see that I have a Degree, Masters and Postgrad diploma? Will I be unemployable by the end of it?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

For me personally, experience is the only thing that matters at the moment. A master would just make me overqualified but still under experienced! Depends on the industry or job I suppose.

I'm glad I have a job, even if it's a part time one as at least I have some money coming in while I apply for places. It also helps with the unpaid work that I've some money saved up for paying rent as I'm looking further afield to the South and South East for jobs now.

tribulus wrote: »
    I'm glad I have a job, even if it's a part time one as at least I have some money coming in while I apply for places.

did you get offered a part-time job lately or had you that job all the time to keep you going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

teednab-el wrote: »
    did you get offered a part-time job lately or had you that job all the time to keep you going?

I got this job back in July while I was applying for a public job whose results were out in August. Purely so I could have some money and enjoy the Summer a bit. Glad I still have it!

I got offered a part time job last may (same job as 2007) but I cudnt take it because i had a thesis to begin and i thought i wouldnt get the project done if I was working 8-5 each day for a few months. As I was working in a lab in a regulated environment I could not do anything in the evenings as I would be too tired. I recently appled there for part time work but they are not taking on anybody. I still have second thoughts on that decision I made back in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Jewelsster wrote: »
    It's a good idea, Shiny. What Masters are you doing?

I keep a record of new jobs in computing here: http://www.computing.dcu.ie/prospective/prospects.html so it would appear jobs are still being created but do you have the right skills for them? Perhaps try to apply for some of these new positions and keep an eye on the site and I keep it up-dated regularly.

DCU computer graduates would appear to be very much in demand.

I run the Champagne Breakfast and Final Year Project Display and last year we had 70 graduates but 150 people present from industry from 90 different organisations all looking to recruit so I find it hard to believe jobs aren't out there.

We also have an INTRA programme which incorporates work experience into the degree - students do this in 3rd year (and get paid mostly too) which employers love and some students are offered jobs off the back of these jobs (pending they get their degree).

Also www.computerjobs.ie have 702 IT jobs on their books.

If you want to firm up your chances you could always consider a Masters in a specific area in computing- they're not expensive relative to other Masters degrees (under 2k pa) and bulk up your CV with a Masters in Software Engineering/Bioinformatics/Business Informatics/E-commerce/ Security and Forensic Computing or the new Computational Science and Complex Systems. There's more info here: www.dcu.ie/computing or you can PM me.

I'm doing a masters in Telecommunications (Network Implementation Major)
    at the moment in DCU.

Alot of the taught masters here, have the same structure and are supported by that grant thing (trying to find link), so only cost around €1700 as opposed to the usual 8-12k for a masters.

Here is the link to the funded programs. Its pretty good value I think.

I have applied to a few graduate programs but have been turned down from both.
    First was Ericsson but after christmas they let 300 go and froze recruitment.
    Second was Symbian in London, their graduate program sounded pretty cool but I'm not a
    computer science/applications student so that was a fail also. :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Lets try and stay on topic here guys. This is a graduate forum, not a post-grad forum. (There is a post-grad forum so you can discuss prices etc there!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

True, but the reason it was mentioned here is because there are
    not that many jobs for graduates at the moment.

I know that I am currently doing one but I am trying to give some info
    to the graduates who may want to do one in September if the job
    situation doesn't improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭jane86

Shiny wrote: »
    True, but the reason it was mentioned here is because there are
    not that many jobs for graduates at the moment.

I know that I am currently doing one but I am trying to give some info
    to the graduates who may want to do one in September if the job
    situation doesn't improve.

I completely put the thought of a post grad out of my head when I found out the course cost €12,000. But your link was really helpful. No luck with any jobs so re-considering my options now!

Thanks again Shiny :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,354 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Applied to the JET program - so if I get accepted to that I'll be heading to Japan. Apart from that - no clue.

*sigh*

When was the deadline? Friend of mine did it and loved it.
    I dont know best case scenario they will make you do a community employment scheme which is worse than being on the dole.

Anyway the dole is way too high in Ireland its 200 euro. In england its £40. The dole should only be €100 to discourage welfare tourism and encourage people back to work. There should also be support for people who can find work abroad.

Support for people who can find work abroad I agree with. Lowering the dole I don't. It should be means tested better, I graduated in Dec and am still at home and haven't bothered applying for it yet (I know I would not get the full 200 and rightly so tbf) but for a graduate living and looking in work in Dublin it would. People with Mortgages and dependent kids should certainly get the full 200.

You do sound a little bitter? Were you, by any chance, denied the chance to go to college?

I am almost bitter I went now. 3 Degrees and hours of work later and the guy who never bothered in school and went straight into work is in a far better position than me. (Not that I am saying theres anything wrong with such a person's success either but we all hoped college would be a help rather than a hindrance job wise).
    jane86 wrote: »
    I completely put the thought of a post grad out of my head when I found out the course cost €12,000. But your link was really helpful. No luck with any jobs so re-considering my options now!

Thanks again Shiny :D

I have done two masters, both in Dublin, and the fees were 4,300 and 4,900 respectively.

There is such a thing as over qualified!

I think all people, regardless of whether they went directly to work or through college and are only now joining the workforce are under the pressure of this recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,354 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Jesjes wrote: »
    There is such a thing as over qualified!

I think all people, regardless of whether they went directly to work or through college and are only now joining the workforce are under the pressure of this recession.

I get that alot. I'd like to believe its the reason I am unemployed alright!

Seriously one is more useful than the other.

Do you mean it is more useful to be qualified, or to have gone out to work first?

You need to think strategically, and long term. There wont always be a recession. There wont alway be a lack of oppertunities. What you've done in gaining your qualifications will ultimately benefit you, even if it doesnt feel that way now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

Hey, I'm due to graduate with a masters this september. I've been applying to a few PHD's which would presumably last 3-4 years. I'm doing this because I like school and I feel there's a lot more in me to learn and be challenged etc.And of course I'm still interested in some things.

Anyway it is not my ambition to be an academic which would involve years of post-docs etc.

So with no working experience whatsoever, not even an internship, if I were to come out in 3 years say,looking for a job, would I be hampered by being over-qualified and under-experienced. Is that actually a real concern, can someone be over-qualified?

There are options out there for a few jobs it seems, at the moment I'm ot even applying for them.I'm starting to think, maybe I'm very naive and I should be throwing out C.V's or something.

I think you might get better opinions on Post doc work in the Postgraduate forum.

If you want to be an academic, as far as I know, you can probably get along fine with a PhD and research. Unless its business or somethign where experience really counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 sarahc1981

Im a recent graduate from WIT and obtained a Degree in Legal studies with Business. Im sooo frustrated at the lack jobs/work experience etc...my god times are bad, and I am very aware of the current economic conditions but surely there is some kinda prospects for those of us who have studied hard for a decent career!! Sent out 20 cv's and have had no joy to date. Only managed to gain a few mths work experience because i was too busy working part time (to fund college) or STUDYING. What direction should we take????? I give up at this stage:mad:

Im a recent graduate from WIT and obtained a Degree in Legal studies with Business. Im sooo frustrated at the lack jobs/work experience etc...my god times are bad, and I am very aware of the current economic conditions but surely there is some kinda prospects for those of us who have studied hard for a decent career!! Sent out 20 cv's and have had no joy to date. Only managed to gain a few mths work experience because i was too busy working part time (to fund college) or STUDYING. What direction should we take????? I give up at this stagemad.gif And to think of all the sober nights I spent studying whilst my college mates got drunk on dutch gold, only for it to all go to waste;)!!!!!!!!

Sarah, have you tried some different tactics when sending out your CV? For example trying to get the name of someone rather than just sending it to the "HR Dept". How recently did you graduate, can your Careers Office offer any help? There is no point in getting frustrated - take that energy and put it into looking for a job.

Tbh, it was never EASY to get a job. We just have to work a bit harder.

PS Sarah, I have merged the thread you created with the post you made on this thread.

• Advertisement

I sent most my cv's to solicitors offices as that is the route our lecturers suggested plus a solicitors office is my desired location to start working up the ladder. But as we all know, solicitors are struggling for work themselves due to the lack of conveyancing and construction these days. Maybe i should look into the banks/insurance etc...or i could go back to do fe1's!!! decisions decisions:rolleyes:

Advertisement