Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Evo Question

Options
  • 22-08-2008 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭

So, it popped into me head, does an evo have the same frame as the lancer? What model evos to which lancers?

The idea for the project is to pick up an evo, and pick up a scrap lancer and use the lancers body on the evo frame (A wolf in sheeps clothing if you will). Kinda like the oposite of those boy racers you see driving lancers with evo body kits.

What other cars might be suitable for this kind of 'visual downgrade'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Duff

You could get the 1.8 gsr lancer.. looks like a normal lancer..but with a turbo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Duff wrote: »
    You could get the 1.8 gsr lancer.. looks like a normal lancer..but with a turbo :D

Drove an evo3 belonging to a mate a few times and I really enjoyed the experience. I have wanted one since but there are things about them I don't like. For example the extra attention from the guards etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Duff

oeb wrote: »
    Drove an evo3 belonging to a mate a few times and I really enjoyed the experience. I have wanted one since but there are things about them I don't like. For example the extra attention from the guards etc.

I wouldnt let that stop me from buying an evo to be honest mate. The guards can do sweet f*ck all if you have the car taxed and insured properly and aslong as you dont act the tool driving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Duff wrote: »
    I wouldnt let that stop me from buying an evo to be honest mate. The guards can do sweet f*ck all if you have the car taxed and insured properly and aslong as you dont act the tool driving it.

It may also have something to do with the desire to have a car that is much much better than it looks =)

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

oeb wrote: »
    (A wolf in sheeps clothing if you will)..

What other cars might be suitable for this kind of 'visual downgrade'

a sleeper is what you refer to

I always thought of getting a glanza and granny specing it:D

sure theres lots of cars you could drop an engine into but it generally works out cheaper to buy one straight
    an evo like you said(if I understand you right) would never be the same as a real evo
    unless you mean just swapping the bumpers??

the irish version lancer gsr wouldnt attract as much attention...... subtle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 evo2er

If your looking for a sleeper of a car get a Mitsubishi Colt and put an Evo 8 engine into it:) or even put the full running gear into it and have yourself a 4wd colt like this one on utube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifTgojK9fdA&feature=related some yoke

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Mate of mine had a Mivec Lancer a few years back, nippy litte thing. Anyway it had a full Evo bodykit from the corresponding scrapped Evo, 3 or 4 I think. Anyway the kit, bonnet, skirts, boot + spoiler etc. were light as a feather compared to normal components. Point being if i was buying an Evo I would keep it as an Evo due to reasons like this.

I know the guy he bought it from in Offaly had sold the engine and running gear to a guy who transplanted them into a Colt, similar to the one in the video above. Cost him a mint but gave him an outstanding car.

My mate then proceeded to complete the circle by flipping the Mivec Lancer, its internals were then sold on to another Colt owner, thus keeping the Evo --> Colt foodchain intact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Thrain

Mmm....gotta love sleepers...

A personal pipedream is to take my little 1L polo (I know, alright? No money, I'm a student), strenghten the chassis, lash on some proper brakes, power steering, ABS. And then drop a big VR6 engine in it. Bodywork doesnt change, maybe a few boy racer mods to make it seem like I'm more inerested in the outside of the car. Final touch would be a little 1.0L badge on the back ti further disguise the 2.9L monster up front! :D

Imagine sitting at the lights in yer fast car and a little polo comes up next to you and gives it guns? You'd never see it coming!

P.S. don't really intend to street drag it, just want the VR6 so badly....

Advertisement