Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My New Car (idea)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭abitdazed

no
    galwaytt wrote: »
    There is also the issue of safety - rwd is an inherently unstable platform - it's like throwing a hammer handle first..........it'll always want to turn the other way round

Are you sure you're not thinking of a rear engined car? You're suggesting a car with a Front/Rear balance favouring the arse end (a la Porsche 911, air-cooled VWs, etc). There's nothing inherently unstable about a RWD car. Ferrari use it for their higher end stuff (I know they use MASSIVE amount of gizmos to keep it going round a track) and the premium sector has always been RWD. GM has done the Kappa platfrom, which they use to underpin their mx5 rival, the solstice. When this was new they said they were goin to put it out with saloon and estate versions as well. And I've driven an mx5 (not mine, obviously. My boss's) in anger and they aren't unstable at all, they just like to put the arse out a bit.

no
    AudiChris wrote: »
    +1

The reason I'd buy a Astra/Focus style car is because I need practicality and safety. I don't care if it's FWD or RWD. That's not the point.

If you want handling, centre of gravity is at least as important as what wheels drive it - I'd buy a s/h MX5 or similar before a RWD Astra.

And how much do you have to pay before you can get a car with decent handling and practicality as well? I'm not sure the price exactly, but if the astra was rwd to start with it'd be a hell of a lot cheaper than it is now. And mx5s are great, but sometimes you want to bring more people along.

no
    Balfa wrote: »
    What exactly is your problem with FWD then?? You never even said why you want a RWD car. There seems to be a generation of drivers who grew up with Gran Turismo, and assume that RWD is the be all and end all of everything.

There are plenty of FWD cars that are fun to drive. And if you look at the current standings in the BTCC, there are Vectras, Civics, and Leons all above the best 3-series, so it's not like FWD can't compete on a track, either.

I've no problem with FWD, it's just that when you're looking for a car, and you need 5 seats and your budget isn't as optimistic as you'd like, then all you can have is FWD. I'd like a choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

abitdazed wrote: »
    I've no problem with FWD, it's just that when you're looking for a car, and you need 5 seats and your budget isn't as optimistic as you'd like, then all you can have is FWD.

2nd hand 3 series or LS200 - there's a million of them out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

And how much do you have to pay before you can get a car with decent handling and practicality as well?
    when you're looking for a car, and you need 5 seats and your budget isn't as optimistic as you'd like

You accept that RWD is more expensive than FWD, and you admit that budget is a big factor in purchasing a car like this. That is the crux of the reasoning that manufacturers use to decide against RWD family hatchbacks.

If Honda were worried about the young lads who buy 10 year old Civics and soup them up, they'd make it RWD. They're not, they're worried about the conservative people who will buy the car new and then trade it back in for a new one in a few years.
    By the time the "enthusiast" gets their hands on it it's left the dealer network and it's being serviced with spurious parts. Honda are no longer interested in it.

Pushing the price up would alienate the people the mass-manufacturers are concerned with.

And to cater for the enthusiasts who can afford to stay within the dealer network they create the Type Rs (and S2000).

• Advertisement

if the astra was rwd to start with it'd be a hell of a lot cheaper than it is now.

And this is absolutely incorrect - RWD is more expensive than FWD. It uses more parts, takes more engineering and is heavier (and therefore less fuel & CO2 efficient, a big factor in the family hatchback).

If all Astras were RWD they'd be cheaper than if there was a run of limited edition RWD Astras due to economies of scale, but as an actual production run, RWD will never be cheaper than FWD.

no
    Is there anybody out there that thinks could be done successfully? I really do.

no
    Zube wrote: »
    2nd hand 3 series or LS200 - there's a million of them out there.

Ok, I'll give in to that one. I do have that old 5 series.

no
    AudiChris wrote: »
    You accept that RWD is more expensive than FWD, and you admit that budget is a big factor in purchasing a car like this. That is the crux of the reasoning that manufacturers use to decide against RWD family hatchbacks.

If Honda were worried about the young lads who buy 10 year old Civics and soup them up, they'd make it RWD. They're not, they're worried about the conservative people who will buy the car new and then trade it back in for a new one in a few years.
    By the time the "enthusiast" gets their hands on it it's left the dealer network and it's being serviced with spurious parts. Honda are no longer interested in it.

Pushing the price up would alienate the people the mass-manufacturers are concerned with.

And to cater for the enthusiasts who can afford to stay within the dealer network they create the Type Rs (and S2000).

The logic of it is irrefutable. There is no rebuttal. I don't care about the boy-racers either. Sell to the people with money, I suppose. I was just hoping enough people would like the idea of it.

no
    And, the poll's in my favour.

• Advertisement

The logic of it is irrefutable. There is no rebuttal. I don't care about the boy-racers either. Sell to the people with money, I suppose. I was just hoping enough people would like the idea of it.

It's a fine idea and I see why you're enthusiastic about it. I'm not interested and voted No based on that. I don't think it'll happen, but it's an interesting thread.

Advertisement