Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

data only 3 sim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭davemie

culabula wrote: »
    Why both?

It was a copy n paste from my notes. I used both providers while I was in Spain. You only need the one for whichever provider you are using!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

davemie wrote: »
    It was a copy n paste from my notes. I used both providers while I was in Spain. You only need the one for whichever provider you are using!

OK, but does Movistar offer anything attractive data-wise?

I picked up a 3Pay sim card today in town. The girl working in the store was incredibly helpful (first time that happened). She explained everything to me and say that the 3Pay sim would probably work in my own E220 modem.

Anyway, the sim card cost 9 euro and came with 5 euro credit. I had to top the sim up with 10 euro to purchase the one week internet add on (the free 5 euro credit can only be used for calls). She set my account up with E220 selected as my phone and also switched internet access on.

I got home, put the sim into my modem and connected, started up my browser and it worked, I was looking at google.ie

But that was it, not one other website would work! Almost all of the google web sites worked, images, web search, notebook, reader. my3.three.ie also worked. Gmail and google maps didn't work.

I phoned customer service and they said, if you get a 3 modem everything will work, he also said that my3.three.ie and google websites always work for free!

I explained that the modem was built into my laptop (its not) and that I didn't want to buy a second modem. He just repeated himself over and over. If you get a 3 modem everything will work!

Feck sake!

Am I missing something? I can't understand why most of the google web sites work and nothing else does!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i'll tell you what i tell everyone who calls 3: ignore him

it sounds to me like your account hasn't been age verified yet. Back when i did it, you could access a few sites, eg google without doing it. you had to go to a store and have them photocopy your passport but i think they set up a system where you could do it over the phone by giving credit card details and having them take a small amount and credit it to your account

you say she's already set you up and it can take a while to activate. But they often lose your details and make you do it over and over again. If you think you should be verified, give it a day or two and then call them, otherwise call them now. Make sure you have a spare half hour to help them understand what you're talking about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

I'm an X 3 BB customer and still have the modem. If i put my 3Pay sim in the modem would i be able to use that to get their internet service on my Laptop?

• Advertisement

yes

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    yes

Cheers

it sounds to me like your account hasn't been age verified yet.

Cheers, I was about to head into the 3 store last Sunday to confirm my age, but I checked the connection one more time and everything worked! Not sure why it took 24 hours, but I'm happy now.

So for anyone else out there. If you have a 3 or an unlocked modem.

1. Don't believe a word any member of 3 staff tell you, especially the tech support over the phone.
    2. Buy a 3Pay sim along with some additional credit for the Internet add on. (5/day, 10/week, 25/month)
    3. Ask them to set the sim card up for Internet, tell them you'll be using your own phone.
    4. Confirm your age so that you can browse the Internet - a credit card or ID card is required to do this.
    5. Put the sim card into your modem and off you go. You may need to wait 24 hours, I did.

I'm using an unlocked Huawei E220 and everything works, it can be very very slow at times, but it works!

Cheers, I was about to head into the 3 store last Sunday to confirm my age, but I checked the connection one more time and everything worked! Not sure why it took 24 hours, but I'm happy now.

So for anyone else out there. If you have a 3 or an unlocked modem.

1. Don't believe a word any member of 3 staff tell you, especially the tech support over the phone.
    2. Buy a 3Pay sim along with some additional credit for the Internet add on. (5/day, 10/week, 25/month)
    3. Ask them to set the sim card up for Internet, tell them you'll be using your own phone.
    4. Confirm your age so that you can browse the Internet - a credit card or ID card is required to do this.
    5. Put the sim card into your modem and off you go. You may need to wait 24 hours, I did.

I'm using an unlocked Huawei E220 and everything works, it can be very very slow at times, but it works!

Did you find that they are still blocking certain sites eg Easynews. Tried to log into that today and it wouldn't work? Doesn't seem like all the internet is open to me when surfing with the 3pay sim.

mickger wrote: »
    Did you find that they are still blocking certain sites eg Easynews. Tried to log into that today and it wouldn't work? Doesn't seem like all the internet is open to me when surfing with the 3pay sim.

Yet, www.easynews.com works, I only viewed the pages before logging in as I haven't got an account.

• Advertisement

A big thumbs UP for the Spanish YOIGO SIM, I wish all operators were as enlightened.

Buy it, stick it in phone and call Maria (as they recommend).

Then, put it in an e220 and surf. Put it in a 6120 afterwards -handset is immediately identified and they send you an SMS to advise that WAP/MMS/Internet and streaming is permitted. Then they send you the settings.

Take it out and try it in your unlocked iPhone. Everything is available to you -SMS, Internet, PalRingo, Internet Tuner, Eirtext and so on. Fabulous at 1,39€ a day.

Then call Rachida in Morocco. A 5 minute call in the middle of the day cost 67 cent. On Tuesday night before procuring the SIM an emergency call to same destination at night on roaming O2 UK SIM and equally for 5 minutes cost *eight* of your sterling pounds. Eff you sea kay.

Brilliant bargain -and best of all it is free since costs 10€ and you get 10€ credit. So I bought two. One for the iPhone and one for the E220.

¿Porqué no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Guys just with those 3 pay sims...

Even to use the internet on your phone you have to go into planet 3 and enable internet access in my3 before you can buy a data add on, if you call CC and get them to activate internet access the sims should work after a few minutes....

The age verfication is a disaster, don't know why 3 make you do it as half the teenagers in the country are using free Bebo on there 02 phones with out any verification....I think it was tied into there licence to operate in Ireland...

I think Sam is right about giving them a penny or 2 on your credit card, it can take ages if you get age verified in store...

Yoigo is the new mobile phone operator. They mostly use the Movistar network, so coverage isn't a problem. I bought a sim card for ten euro and it came with ten euro of credit. You need a passport when buying a sim card, even PAYG! I was told ETA used PAYG phones when planting the bomb in Madrid airport Dec 2006. I think its also possible to buy a sim card online.

Anyway, one problem with Yoigo is that you can't send or receive International text messages, but that's not a problem if you are using it in a USB modem.

I believe you are charged something like 2 cent per Kb, but a maximum charge of 1.20 euro (ex 7% VAT) per day. Check out the box labeled Navegar here

I was using a Huawei E220 with the Huawei software and the below settings.

Incidentally, you can send/receive international texts and the great thing is that they ALL cost 10c (MO).

culabula wrote: »
    Incidentally, you can send/receive international texts and the great thing is that they ALL cost 10c (MO).

It didn't work for me last August, but I was charged 10c for each attempt I made. Good to know it works now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I picked up a 3Pay sim card today in town. The girl working in the store was incredibly helpful (first time that happened). She explained everything to me and say that the 3Pay sim would probably work in my own E220 modem.

Anyway, the sim card cost 9 euro and came with 5 euro credit. I had to top the sim up with 10 euro to purchase the one week internet add on (the free 5 euro credit can only be used for calls). She set my account up with E220 selected as my phone and also switched internet access on.

I just rang 3's shop in Tullamore and was told by a young lady who answered that if I buy the sim only for 3Pay, it will only allow me the 1GB montly allowance. She said I can't buy the 10GB as its a different sim and its paired with modem sales only. Are you guys saying that the 10GB package can be bought on a 3G sim only purchase? I too believe its just a pricing mechanism, that there's no difference in the sims, but all of that is highly academic if they won't now sell the 10GB allowance to anyone using a 3G phone on 3Pay?

Any help appreciated. For God's sake, it's like the early days of mobis all over again! I own a number of unlocked phones and a Huawei modem that I paid for fully, over contract. What's their problem?

who told you that? I've done it

I've been told this yesterday on Boldchat with Cust Service on 3's website. Also today in a phonecall to 3's store in Tullamore.

I understand that the sims must be the same but can you actually top up with the 10gb allowance on a 3 pay sim (sim purchased only) as of today?

Any help appreciated Sam.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    She said I can't buy the 10GB as its a different sim and its paired with modem sales only.

That's what I was told, but it does work. Buy a 3Pay sim card, add ten euro credit. Ask them to enable the sim card for Internet over your phone and prove you are over 18 so the internet is not locked down.

Log onto my3.three.ie and setup your phone as a USB modem (not sure if this is needed, but it doesn't hurt). They click buy add-on and select Daily, Weekly or Monthly Broadband. You can only buy the add on if you have enought credit in your account. You may have to wait 24 hours for this to work, I did. But you should be able to access google.com in the mean time for free without any add on, however, gmail doesn't work!

these are the options that i'm presented with when i go to buy add-ons on my 3pay handset. you can see that it's 3pay by the fact that it shows my balance on the top of the screen

not shown there is the 1gb for €10 for a month which is on a different menu (internet instead of broadband)

That's what I was told, but it does work. Buy a 3Pay sim card, add ten euro credit. Ask them to enable the sim card for Internet over your phone and prove you are over 18 so the internet is not locked down.

Log onto my3.three.ie and setup your phone as a USB modem (not sure if this is needed, but it doesn't hurt). They click buy add-on and select Daily, Weekly or Monthly Broadband. You can only buy the add on if you have enought credit in your account. You may have to wait 24 hours for this to work, I did. But you should be able to access google.com in the mean time for free without any add on, however, gmail doesn't work!

Thanks very much, man. Very decent to get back so promptly . I was so angry this afternoon after speaking to a Three store today. Annoying too, as I was passing through that town and put it off. Will get back to sorting this asap so thanks v much for your good advice. And Sam too

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭grey squirrel

I have an ordinary 3pay sim

I can buy any of the add-ons shown in picture (choice of 4)

• Advertisement

I have an ordinary 3pay sim

I can buy any of the add-ons shown in picture (choice of 4)

Thanks again Sam for the contribution. Thanks Grey.

Just waiting for my age verification now and I should be back in biz! Incidentally, the maps on 3's websites aren't very indicative. I have 3's 3G coming in strong in areas where the map doesn't show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

these are the options that i'm presented with when i go to buy add-ons on my 3pay handset. you can see that it's 3pay by the fact that it shows my balance on the top of the screen

not shown there is the 1gb for 10 for a month which is on a different menu (internet instead of broadband)
    What phone is that your using?

Walkman wrote: »
    What phone is that your using?

nokia e65, originally o2

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Would you not get a screen shot app sam? :P

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Would you not get a screen shot app sam? :P

i had one before i couldn't get fexplorer to work on the e65. and taking a pic with the k800i in my other hand was just faster and easier :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

Hi,
    I bought a SIM today at Grafton and asked them to set it up for the Internet as people here suggested. Not sure they did it though. Actually, they didn't ask anything about me. Not my name, not my age, nothing, zilch. I see in my online account that the Internet access is disabled and they suggest calling to the Customer care. I can call but I'm not quite sure how they verify my age by phone? I'm not in a hurry as my modem will arrive only next week but what's the easiest and quickest way to get the Internet enabled?
    Cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

go into account settings in my3 and activate internet access....give it about 10 minutes....and try the net....if it asks you to get age verified, I think you can do it via credit card if you have one.....they used to look for a photo id...not sure if they still do....it was a really stupid policy.....

That's the point, I can't seem to be able to activate it myself. There's no any option to do it from within my account, or, at least, I can't find where it is. Here's what it says in my account:
    Internet access

You can't surf the web from your mobile.

To your change access settings, you need to call Customer Services on 333 free from your 3 mobile or 083 333 3333 from any other phone or on Minicom number 1800 944 032.

p.s. Yes, exactly like this, with a typo ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

If you know anyone with a 3 phone put in the sim. Go to my3 on planet 3, access settings then change it so you can access the internet. This will take 5-10 mins to activate. If you dont know anyone with a 3 phone go back to the store and ask them to put the sim into one of their phones and activate the internet access. You will also need to be age verified so bring some id.

• Advertisement

Thanks, Walkman :) Didn't activate the Internet access or bought credit yet but finally got the modem. Any ideas how do I set it up in my account if it's not listed there? It's Novatel MC950D but 3 only has Huaweis and one ZTE.

Advertisement