Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest Off Licence in the City

Options
  • 22-08-2008 2:54pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for the off licence with the biggest selection of Wine in the City Centre.

Any Ideas?

Mik

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I would consider one of the better selections to be O'Donovans off Licence.

Tesco's (In MP at least) has a huge selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I'd say Carryouts Warehouse on Bessboro Rd. or any carryout for that matter. They have a great Wine selections.

The Cellar in the English Market looks quite good too.

And there's a place on Washington St. near Preachers that sells Wine only, its called the wine shop i think. Original eh?

Cheers

And where is O'Donovans off Licence?
    I'm looking for Rose wine suitable for diabetics as the GF just discovered she is one :( (and picky)
    Was in Tesco in MP but they didn't have any..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭sunshinegirl

Fine wines in blackpool is worth a try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Bradleys on North Main Street have a great selection of wines and ports.

Bubble Brothers in the English Market.

The Wine Buff on Washington Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Can you go into the Carryout warehouse?

The wine depot/Bubble brothers in the marina is one i have heard mentioned before aswell..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Galvins warehouse is open on Saturdays. Probably nothing bigger or better in the country if you know what you are after.

"wine"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Cheers

And where is O'Donovans off Licence?
    I'm looking for Rose wine suitable for diabetics as the GF just discovered she is one :( (and picky)
    Was in Tesco in MP but they didn't have any..

There is one on Oliver Plunkett Street, Left side as you walk down away from the Bróg.

There is one on the hill just outside Lesiurplex(sp?) As you are on your way up to Luke's Cross.

I don't know if they have Diabetic Suited wine though!

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Op, I don't know if there exists such a thing as diabetic wine. Sorry to hear about your gf, I know it's hard to support someone through totally life-changing news like that.

My Dad has type two diabetes, he can't handle wine well at all (red, white, rose, dessert) - he gets shaky, sweaty, falls asleep on the couch, has seizures, hypos etc. Just a glass affects him as much as I'd be affected by 2 bottles.

Many doctors recommend no wine because it can contain so many carbs (esp sweet white/rose/dessert), and also because alcohol can interfere with some of the medication diabetics might take. That said, I've heard it depends from person to person. Red wine is meant to be good for Diabetics in, the driest being something like a Cabernet Sauvignon (it has the least amount of sugar per glass). The only other thing I could recommend would be something like Schloer that looks like sparkling wine, tastes like fizzy grape juice (which obviously ain't the same) which you can get from any Tesco.

If she likes rose, maybe get a nice bottle and have her take a glass with a meal, and watch her blood sugar levels to see the effect. It's all trial and error.

kaki wrote: »
    Op, I don't know if there exists such a thing as diabetic wine. Sorry to hear about your gf, I know it's hard to support someone through totally life-changing news like that.

:D

I think the OP now has a new lady friend, the thread is ancient, it was resuurected by Mr Fine Wines of Washington Street for some free advertising :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

RoverJames wrote: »

I think the OP now has a new lady friend, the thread is ancient, it was resuurected by Mr Fine Wines of Washington Street for some free advertising :rolleyes:
    I'm curious, who be that?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

RoverJames wrote: »

I think the OP now has a new lady friend, the thread is ancient,

Yep I do, a far better one :D

Mod - Please lock this and throw it back where it came from

grenache wrote: »
    I'm curious, who be that?

Mods presumably have deleted the post I was referring to :)
    'twas this DartsBoy chap, joined up in May and went around resuurecting old threads recommending Fine Wines of Washington Street,
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66039345&postcount=9

Advertisement