Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen King

Options
  • 22-08-2008 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

Hey ..
    can people recommend his best books ..

I read

IT (excellent.. so well structured and amazing character development)
    Needfull Things (v good)
    The Stand (v v good)
    Misery (OK)
    Salems Lot (good)
    Geralds Game (not great)

How about
    THE SHINING
    PET SEMETERY
    CUJO
    CHRISTINE
    FOUR PAST MIDNIGHT
    THE GREEN MILE
    THE DARK HALF
    ??

I'm a bit skeptical of his more modern ones ,

or the Dark Tower Series ? -- thats fantasy yes ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Skeleton Crew is by far my favorite, though it's a collection of short stories -with one lengthy one, 'The Mist' - rather then a novel, but it's truly excellent. Other favorites would be The Shining, Cell and Christine. I hated the Dark Tower books, tried on more then one occasion but just not for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Skeleton Crew is by far my favorite, though it's a collection of short stories -with one lengthy one, 'The Mist' - rather then a novel, but it's truly excellent. Other favorites would be The Shining, Cell and Christine. I hated the Dark Tower books, tried on more then one occasion but just not for me.

THE MIST is a novel in itself now ... or is it Skelton crew just marketted as "the Mist " because of the film ?

like Shawshank ..

jackdaw wrote: »
    THE MIST is a novel in itself now ... or is it Skelton crew just marketted as "the Mist " because of the film ?

like Shawshank ..

It was always part of Skeleton Crew...they must have released it stand-alone after the movie or something. Can't say I've seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I loved the Dark Tower but definitely read The Shining as it's awesome. The Green Mile is great too but if you've seen the film I think that's better.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I have to say I enjoyed "The Dark Half" and also " Desperation" and its counterpart " The Regulators". It has been a few years since I've read them but they give me fond memories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭sxt

Theres 4 good disturbing,rough ,rugged and raw stories in "the backman books" including the "long walk" which is an excellent must read imo and the "running man" (alot different and much better then the film) .I think most of them were written when he was in college or soon after .Happy nightmares :p

For me,."Firestarter" "desperation" "bag of bones" " the shining" would be my other
    favs behind "it" and "the stand" of course:) .I have to read "pet cemetary" ,sounds spooky!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I've only ever read The Shining and Misery. I've meant to read more.

The Shining is one of my favourite books. It's simply brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

sxt wrote: »
    Theres 4 good disturbing,rough ,rugged and raw stories in "the backman books" including the "long walk" which is an excellent must read imo and the "running man" (alot different and much better then the film) .I think most of them were written when he was in college or soon after .Happy nightmares :p

Also "Firestarter" "desperation" "bag of bones" " the shining" would prob be my favourites behind "it" and "the stand" of course:)

Long walk. I forgot about that one. Good stuff!

Thinner was another good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Long walk. I forgot about that one. Good stuff!

Thinner was another good one.

Thinner is a fantastic read.

Different Seasons is a great one for non horror. Four stories,three really good ones - The Body(Stand By Me), Rita Hayworth And Te Shawshank Redemption(The Shawshank Redemption) and Apt Pupil(Also filmed as the same title. I think the last one was The Breathing Method.

Also The Dead Zone is a fantastic page turner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

I liked Dolores Claiborne quite a lot. I think that in a way, despite his name for being a horror writer, King is at his best when writing about the scarily mundane - the internal fears rather than the physical fear of a dead child a-comin' to getcha or a clown beckoning you into the sewer.

I've not read many of short stories (Night Shift, if memory serves and enjoyed it!); bear in mind that the more successful movies which have his name attached thereto were 'ordinary'....Shawshank, Stand By Me and Apt Pupil (all from the same collection of novellas)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Carrie is good - his first book. Dolores Claiborne is funny. Almost anything he writes is excellent; he has a good book on writing called On Writing.

His son's a writer too - Joe Hill, who wrote Heart-Shaped Box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

jackdaw wrote: »
    Hey ..
    can people recommend his best books ..

I read

IT (excellent.. so well structured and amazing character development)
    Needfull Things (v good)
    The Stand (v v good)
    Misery (OK)
    Salems Lot (good)
    Geralds Game (not great)

How about
    THE SHINING
    PET SEMETERY
    CUJO
    CHRISTINE
    FOUR PAST MIDNIGHT
    THE GREEN MILE
    THE DARK HALF
    ??

I'm a bit skeptical of his more modern ones ,

or the Dark Tower Series ? -- thats fantasy yes ?
    The stand is superb. Somewhat reminiscent of a Philip K Dick book that was published before it though.
    Needful things is very good too.

I thought the shining and cujo was ok and the dark half was good. Cujo contains very few supernatural elements.

other books mentioned here: I thought the long walk was dire myself. Thinner was excellent though. Different Seasons and Delores Claiborne were excellent. The Dark Tower books were ok but wore thin afer a while. The regulators was very good.

I can't believe I forgot the Long Walk - absolutely superb, definitely amongst my favorites too. Would make an excellent film if done right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

He writes a column for Entertainment Weekly, by the way, which is online.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

CUJO - Good
    FOUR PAST MIDNIGHT - enjoyable
    THE GREEN MILE - Worth it (i thought it was great, others thought it was meh)
    THE DARK HALF - Loved it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I'd recommend any of his short story collections - off the top of my head they are:

Four Past Midnight
    Different Seasons
    Skeleton Crew
    Nightmares & Dreamscapes
    Everything's Eventual
    Hearts in Atlantis

I would also highly recommend Christine, Bag of Bones, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Thinner, Cell, Lisey's Story, Duma Key, Pet Sematary (sic)... in fact, there's very little he's written that I wouldn't recommend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I'd recommend any of his short story collections - off the top of my head they are:Four Past MidnightDifferent SeasonsSkeleton CrewNightmares & DreamscapesEverything's EventualHearts in Atlantis*I would also highly recommend Christine, Bag of Bones, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Thinner, Cell, Lisey's Story, Duma Key, Pet Sematary (sic)... in fact, there's very little he's written that I wouldn't recommend!
    Lisey's Story, Duma Quay - seriously?long time fan of King but couldn't get into these at all, are they really any good?, short on reading material at the moment, are they worth going back to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kaziki

Hi,

I'm a huge Stephen King fan - if you want to read one of his older books that I think is a good psychological thriller, then get a hold of Rose Madder. It's my second favourite read of his after The Stand, and the only one that's not been made into a movie and I really don't know why, as he really gets into the two main characters heads in this book brilliantly.

It's the story of an abused wife who runs away after 14 years of marriage and her hubby goes about tracking her down. Trouble is that he's a cop, and so he knows how to track people - and he's a really mean, bad cop too. It's a very good psychological thriller.

Cheers
    Kaziki

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'd recommend reading 'The Dark Tower' at some point but only after you've read a large number of his other works to fully appreciate it. Feel free to say thank ya ;)

gogo wrote: »
    Lisey's Story, Duma Quay - seriously?long time fan of King but couldn't get into these at all, are they really any good?, short on reading material at the moment, are they worth going back to?

I would have to say yes. Lisey's Story is the more inaccessible of the two, but I just re-read it and I have to say, I enjoyed it even more the second time round. Persevere, it will reward you!

Duma Key was rather reminiscent of Bag of Bones - if you enjoyed that, then definitely give DK a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

"Night Shift" is another excellent collection of his short stories.

beans wrote: »
    "Night Shift" is another excellent collection of his short stories.

Thank you! I knew there was one more and it was wrecking my head while I was writing that post. I was far too lazy to actually just go upstairs to my bookshelf and check, though...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 oponodon

Buy: The Bachman books, you get The Running Man (brilliant, really exciting), The Long Walk (amazing aswell)and Roadwork (i still havent finished it yet, but i will) all in one volume.

Also, have any of you read The tommyknockers? Loads of people seem to hate it, but i loved it, the plot itself was good, but the story was a small bit muddled. I stuck with it because it seemed to promise good things to come. I was not dissapointed. The end was amazing, really "edge of your seat" stuff. I would highly recomend it, it got me through my junior cert anyway....

And not to get off topic, did you find the last 150 pages of IT sorta rushed? some of it didnt make sense. If IT was a huge cosmic macro enity thing, bigger than the universe, why did it just reside in derry? what about the other ones, that were mentioned when they were talking about how the ritual of chud was performed? Stuff like that was bugging me all through the end of the book. And what was with that sex scene? You read about these characters for 1000 pages, and you really get to like them, and then your image of them is destroyed when they do a really perverse and disgusting (did i mention COMPLETELY ****ING UNNECESSARY?!?) thing. My God, how that pissed me off.

The sad thing is i really enjoyed that book up to the end.... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Oscholar

Off the top of my head, the books i'd recommend are:

It
    The Stand
    The Dark Tower Series (a must read!)
    Pet Sematary
    Needful Things

Some of his other novels, like Cell, Rose Madder and Insomnia are great too, if not up to the standard of his classic works. I'm reading Duma Key at the moment and it's pretty good.

Out of all of his books, i'd recommend everyone read 'On Writing'. It's not just for those with an interest in writing as there's a lot of personal memories in there that are amazing to read!

Oscholar wrote: »
    Some of his other novels, like Cell, Rose Madder and Insomnia are great too, if not up to the standard of his classic works. I'm reading Duma Key at the moment and it's pretty good.

A lot of people seem to knock Insomnia but I think it's excellent (enough to re-read it, not something I do often with King, apart from The Dark Tower). Cell I liked but the ending seemed rushed which spoiled it.
    Out of all of his books, i'd recommend everyone read 'On Writing'. It's not just for those with an interest in writing as there's a lot of personal memories in there that are amazing to read!

I've yet to pick this up. *adds to list*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Oscholar

John wrote: »
    A lot of people seem to knock Insomnia but I think it's excellent (enough to re-read it, not something I do often with King, apart from The Dark Tower). Cell I liked but the ending seemed rushed which spoiled it.

'On Writing'

I've yet to pick this up. *adds to list*

Yeah, Insomnia is a great read! One of the best of King's later works. Some of his newer novels do get knocked a lot but they're there's some great books in there. The ending of Cell was a bit rushed alright!

You should definitely pick up 'On Writing'. It's excellent. And have a look at The Talisman and Black House, his collaboration with Peter Straub, if you haven't read them yet. Good Stuff!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I liked 'Insomnia' because of its tie-ins with 'The Dark Tower' series - it's an important companion book, do ya ken.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

+100. One of the few books that I will alwasys say is worth reading.

I don't understand everyone's love for it, but I have to agree Needful Things is great. I just finished it yesterday.

And have a look at The Talisman and Black House, his collaboration with Peter Straub, if you haven't read them yet. Good Stuff!

Way ahead of you, both are excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

THE SHINING - VV Good
    PET SEMETERY - VV Good (one of his scariest IMO)
    CUJO - Good
    CHRISTINE - Haven't read
    FOUR PAST MIDNIGHT - Good
    THE GREEN MILE - VV Good
    THE DARK HALF - VV Good

I agree some of his newer stuff is poor, I enjoyed Cell, but felt the climax was majorly rushed. I really enjoyed Duma Key, but it is very reminiscent of Bag of Bones, you kinda feel he is running out of ideas. Def give Blaze a miss, it is terrible, it is so obvious that it was meant to be a short story and then fleshed out in to a full novel, I felt really cheated by him after reading it!

Advertisement