Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen King

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

ncmc wrote: »
    THE SHINING - VV Good
    PET SEMETERY - VV Good (one of his scariest IMO)
    CUJO - Good
    CHRISTINE - Haven't read
    FOUR PAST MIDNIGHT - Good
    THE GREEN MILE - VV Good
    THE DARK HALF - VV Good

I agree some of his newer stuff is poor, I enjoyed Cell, but felt the climax was majorly rushed. I really enjoyed Duma Key, but it is very reminiscent of Bag of Bones, you kinda feel he is running out of ideas. Def give Blaze a miss, it is terrible, it is so obvious that it was meant to be a short story and then fleshed out in to a full novel, I felt really cheated by him after reading it!

Blaze was a short story that he made into a full length book - it was padded out something terrible. I think Cell was nearly a return to form, but as you say; rushed ending. Also, it was pretty much just "The Stand lite".

Agree with you on your choices there - the Dark Half seems to be forgotten by a lot of people, but it's a pretty good one. Christine isn't bad either.

I re-read Salem's lot a while ago, and I really didn't think it was great in retrospect.

Another favourite of mine is The Dead Zone, which was also a TV series quite recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

oponodon wrote: »
    Buy: The Bachman books, you get The Running Man (brilliant, really exciting), The Long Walk (amazing aswell)and Roadwork (i still havent finished it yet, but i will) all in one volume.

Also, have any of you read The tommyknockers? Loads of people seem to hate it, but i loved it, the plot itself was good, but the story was a small bit muddled. I stuck with it because it seemed to promise good things to come. I was not dissapointed. The end was amazing, really "edge of your seat" stuff. I would highly recomend it, it got me through my junior cert anyway....

And not to get off topic, did you find the last 150 pages of IT sorta rushed? some of it didnt make sense. If IT was a huge cosmic macro enity thing, bigger than the universe, why did it just reside in derry? what about the other ones, that were mentioned when they were talking about how the ritual of chud was performed? Stuff like that was bugging me all through the end of the book. And what was with that sex scene? You read about these characters for 1000 pages, and you really get to like them, and then your image of them is destroyed when they do a really perverse and disgusting (did i mention COMPLETELY ****ING UNNECESSARY?!?) thing. My God, how that pissed me off.

The sad thing is i really enjoyed that book up to the end.... :(

Yes I agree on both things .. I did read the TommyKnockers a few years ago
    ..excellent .. and IT was fantastic untill the end ..

you can almost picture SK sitting there ... "jesus this thing is 1000 pages allready .. **** have to think of an ending .. ah i know
    a Spider!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I've read a couple of his books, the obvious ones, and meant to read more. I bought Dreamcatcher though and it was quite literally and no exaggeration the worst book I have ever read and the only one I've ever put in the bin after finishing. I would usually give books I disliked to charity bookshops but this was so terrible I decided it had to be destroyed.

It's really put me off ever reading another of his books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 roversania22

I have read misery ( which i enjoyed throughout) and 'Cell' which is probably my favourite King Book. Although it leaves alot of loose ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 JeanH

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet but Hearts in Atlantis was beautifully written I thought. I didn't think it was a particularly good story. I remember loving the first part very much but then it went all science fiction-like which isn't my cup of tea. I just happened to like King's style rather than content! Read it just for the beautifully phrased sentences.

You have read "IT" already but again, that's so beautifully written.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭sxt

I have read misery ( which i enjoyed throughout) and 'Cell' which is probably my favourite King Book. Although it leaves alot of loose ends.

I really enjoyed "cell" up until the ending.The book really grabs you from the start,and that shocking sad thing that happened to that girl really grabs you by the cuffs.Ending though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 roversania22

sxt wrote: »
    I really enjoyed "cell" up until the ending.The book really grabs you from the start,and that shocking sad thing that happened to that girl really grabs you by the cuffs.Ending though..

Ya, the ending leaves alot of loose ends. I'd like to think that there maybe a second one in the making. Doubtful though :(

Said King on the story of IT

This book is surely a hit

But an ending I fear

Is costing me dear

So **** it, I'll kill it, that's it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Salem's Lot-I think this was his best, led to a really scary 70s tv series.King has a life size model of Barlow's character from it in his house:eek:
    Misery-great, deadly film too, loyal to the book
    Gerald's Game-really enjoyed it-what a situation to find yourself in!!!!:eek:
    Pet semetary-very good book but couldn't stop crying the whole way through it.:(Won't read it again.
    The Stand-very good
    The Green Mile-very good, heartbreaking
    Insomnia-very good, noticed references to 'Pet Semetary' when Gage Creed's accident is mentioned.
    Bag of Bones-ok, noticed references to 'Insomnia' when the main character meets Ralph Roberts from said book in a cafe.
    Duma Key-just ok
    Lisey's story-lost interest in it halfway through.
    Cell-quite good,very Dean Koontz style of story
    Desperation-enjoyable enough
    The Tommyknockers-very good
    The Shining-very good, bathroom bit and fire hydrant bit were scary
    The Dark Half-quite good, again Dean Koontz type of story
    From A Buick 8-just ok
    I've read his short stories too, can't remember many to rate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Since I first posted in this thread, I have been re-reading some of the older Stephen King books (on PDF in work, hehe!). It made me realise what an amazing author he was when he was at his best. Have re-read Cujo, Pet Semetary and Needful Things and am currently reading Salem's Lot for the first time, they truly are staggeringly good books. Pet Semetary has to be one of the scariest, creepiest books ever written! I still have to say that Needful Things is my favourite SK book, it is such an unusual subject and I think the premise of how far we will go for posessions we really desire is relevent to everyone. A must read if you haven't read it yet!

• Advertisement

Since I first posted in this thread, I have been re-reading some of the older Stephen King books (on PDF in work, hehe!). It made me realise what an amazing author he was when he was at his best. Have re-read Cujo, Pet Semetary and Needful Things and am currently reading Salem's Lot for the first time, they truly are staggeringly good books. Pet Semetary has to be one of the scariest, creepiest books ever written! I still have to say that Needful Things is my favourite SK book, it is such an unusual subject and I think the premise of how far we will go for posessions we really desire is relevent to everyone. A must read if you haven't read it yet!

Wow !!! what job have you got with that much free time !!!

;)

What about THE DARK TOWER series ?

I'm hearing that there are some aspects in it that relate with IT ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

jackdaw wrote: »

;)

i've read him say that the dark tower is his personal series he HAD to write,and that alot of his other stories tie into it-such as the mist. Haven't read the dark tower (read one of the short stories though,the vampire one,very good),was given the 1st prequel graphic novel,and it is fairly interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

;)

Can't tell you what job I have in case you're my boss in disguise.;)

Am going to try The Dark Tower series next, I believe they are a real 'love em or hate em' book.

Can't tell you what job I have in case you're my boss in disguise.;)

Am going to try The Dark Tower series next, I believe they are a real 'love em or hate em' book.

:D

I must try them too ...

After i finish IT for the 3rd time .. I will give PET SEMETARY a go ..then Dark Tower ... how many books in the series ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DaveyGem

sxt wrote: »
    Theres 4 good disturbing,rough ,rugged and raw stories in "the backman books" including the "long walk" which is an excellent must read imo and the "running man" (alot different and much better then the film) .I think most of them were written when he was in college or soon after .Happy nightmares :p

+1
    Good call

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

:D

I must try them too ...

After i finish IT for the 3rd time .. I will give PET SEMETARY a go ..then Dark Tower ... how many books in the series ?

short stories aside-i think theres about five.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Nerin wrote: »
    short stories aside-i think theres about five.
    Nope - 7. They vary in length from under 200 pages to the 800 page mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Nerin wrote: »
    i've read him say that the dark tower is his personal series he HAD to write,and that alot of his other stories tie into it-such as the mist. Haven't read the dark tower (read one of the short stories though,the vampire one,very good),was given the 1st prequel graphic novel,and it is fairly interesting.

I don't recall The Mist having any DT tie-ins at all. However, there are references to it all over his work alright. The strongest links, though, are found in Insomnia. Other works I would recommend people to read before the DT series are:

Black House (which itself is related to the Talisman)
    The Stand
    Hearts in Atlantis (title story)
    Salem's Lot
    Everything's Eventual (title story)
    Everything's Eventual - Little Sisters of Eluria

There are other, more obscure references in other books, but they're really the main ones. For anyone who's thinking of reading the DT series (and I highly recommend it), below is the order in which the books should be read:

1 - The Gunslinger
    2 - The Drawing of the Three
    3 - The Wastelands
    4 - Wizard and Glass
    5 - Wolves of the Calla
    6 - Song of Susannah
    7 - The Dark Tower

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Heckler

Love most everything he has written. Currently reading Duma Key and after a fitful start am loving it. Got drawn into the Dark Tower series years back and loved it but since I got to the last book I stopped half way through and can't seem to finish it. Been on my bedside locker for 3 years. I don't know is it that I don't want to say goodbye to Roland et al or did the superego of King injecting himself into his books just ruin it for me. I suspect the latter unfortunately.

That said King is supreme. Personal favs, Salems lot, the Talisman, Cujo, the bachman books, Skeleton crew. Feck it, most everything. Owned Liseys Storey for years but still haven't read it.

Nearly missed Geralds Game. Brilliant.

What I love about King is the tie-ins in all (well, not all) his novels whether it be a Dark Tower reference or just that a sheriff in one book turns up in another.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

I would consider myself one of King's constant readers and number one fans. Started with Christine what has to be 20 years ago now. loved them all mostly but I would think The Stand, Tommyknockers and Desperate game would be all time faves. I don't like film adaptations of his books though, as they are rarely true to my vision of the book.
    Heckler wrote: »
    Got drawn into the Dark Tower series years back and loved it but since I got to the last book I stopped half way through and can't seem to finish it. Been on my bedside locker for 3 years. I don't know is it that I don't want to say goodbye to Roland et al or did the superego of King injecting himself into his books just ruin it for me. I suspect the latter unfortunately.

I left the last chapter of the last Dark Tower book unread for a week, couldn't face the ending and when I did read it I felt such disappointment that after all Roland had gone thru, it was all ahead of him again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Definatly "the Shining", "Different Seasons", "The Tommyknockers", "The Dead Zone", all great. Stay the hell away from "Insomnia" though. Wasted so much time reading that crap.
    I also enjoyed "Dreamcatcher"
    "The Stand" is my amazing, almost through my second reading of it (the extended version):)

I just finished Duma Key last week. Overall, I wasn't really disappointed, as I don't have too high hopes for any of his new stuff (but will still buy them). However, it took an age to get going - it was all build up, with a quite short conclusion. It definitely reminded me of his earlier stuff, but just didn't quite hit the mark for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

For anyone who is about to give The Dark Tower series a go.... don't judge it on the first book. Although I did enjoy it, it's just not that well written. It's patchy and sometimes you feel like it doesn't know where it's going...lol, which it actually doesn't I guess.
    Anyway, the second book is a big improvement, and the third.....brilliant.....

It does help to have read a lot of SKs books, as there is a huge number of tie ins in the series.

My Favourites:
    Novels:
    The Stand
    The Dark Tower
    The Shinning
    Pet Sematary

Short Stories:
    Apt Pupil
    Shawshank Redemption
    The Long Walk

EDIT: Just to add, on the short stories, Different Seasons and The Backman Books are a must read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

I'm not a huge king fan but I do like the Dark Tower, I finished Song of Susannah a while ago so its just the dark tower itself remaining. Its a great series, but I do feel if he cut out some of the ****e he could have got it down to a spectacular 3 or 4 books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Bansheewails

Not a usual King story but beautifully written story. Wrrote under bachman also i think.

I think It was the scariest by far, though I was extremely creeped out by Geralds game, spine crawling thinking about it. Poor woman!! :D

Anyone read 'Just after Sunset' yet? It's his new short story collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

What's the scariest of his books, one that has you completely chilled to the bone?

Probably Pet Cemetary for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I'd say you can't go wrong with the Grenn Mile, they were the first "set" of books (when I read it it was released in seperate books) I ever read as a kid and that just happend to be because I thought all Stephen King books were supposed to be scary.

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    What's the scariest of his books, one that has you completely chilled to the bone?

Think I may've said to you before that I found 'Salem's Lot' very scary. That could've been because I saw the mini series at a young age and nearly sh*t myself.:eek: I still like to have my neck tucked in well under the blankets.:oStephen King himself said in one of his forewords that among his fans, 'The Shining' was named mostly as his most scary. I didn't agree with that opinion though the bit in the bathroom was really good and the tense bit in the corridor with the fire extinguisher was too.
    In saying that, there are a few I haven't read yet.

Advertisement