Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen King

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Whipping Boy

He's a great author, it was a tough slog but It is a truly fantastic book and one of my favourites.

I have The Stand to start next, though judging by the size of it it could be a long time till I'm able to pass judgement on it! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Ann22 wrote: »
    Think I may've said to you before that I found 'Salem's Lot' very scary. That could've been because I saw the mini series at a young age and nearly sh*t myself.:eek: I still like to have my neck tucked in well under the blankets.:oStephen King himself said in one of his forewords that among his fans, 'The Shining' was named mostly as his most scary. I didn't agree with that opinion though the bit in the bathroom was really good and the tense bit in the corridor with the fire extinguisher was too.
    In saying that, there are a few I haven't read yet.

Yeah, i've been looking for Salem's Lot, but not one of the book stores have it. Can't find it anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

monkey9 wrote: »
    Yeah, i've been looking for Salem's Lot, but not one of the book stores have it. Can't find it anywhere

You can have my copy, I don't think it's particularly good so won't miss it.

eoin_s wrote: »
    You can have my copy, I don't think it's particularly good so won't miss it.

Thanks, but i actually found it in Eason's. They didn't have it last week. They have a load of his books in now.
    I bought Salem's Lot and Pet Cemetary. If i like these, i may just start at Carrie and work my way through all his books.

By the way, i watched a film a few weeks back called Storm of the Century. It's from Stephen King, but is the novel the by the same title?
    Also, looking at the list of books he's written, i can't see Shawshank Redemption? Was the novel under a different title also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

monkey9 wrote: »
    Also, looking at the list of books he's written, i can't see Shawshank Redemption? Was the novel under a different title also?

The Shawshank redemption was written as one fo the short stories in the book "Different Seasons", it was originally named "Rita Haywork and the Shawshank Redemption".

"Different Seasons" is great by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Caros wrote: »
    I would consider myself one of King's constant readers and number one fans. Started with Christine what has to be 20 years ago now. loved them all mostly but I would think The Stand, Tommyknockers and Desperate game would be all time faves. I don't like film adaptations of his books though, as they are rarely true to my vision of the book.

I left the last chapter of the last Dark Tower book unread for a week, couldn't face the ending and when I did read it I felt such
    disappointment that after all Roland had gone thru, it was all ahead of him again

For the love of god dont tell me you just ruined the ending for me! Thats what spoilers are for!!!
    I covered it for you there.
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Heckler

I can't believe noone mentioned The Talisman. I'm a huge King fan up to a point.

He jumped the shark with the last dark tower book.

Jack Sawyer and Wolf. Christ I must have read that book a dozen times.. Reckon Pet Semetary is his scariest both in terms of writing and subject matter. Currently reading Duma Key (slow start but loving it) and the short stories "just after sunset". Really enjoyed the cat from hell :pac:

The Talisman would make a great miniseries if done well (HBO or similar). yay or nay ?

Salems lot is fantastic as a book (and not bad as a miniseries). The scene where Danny comes to the window still gives me chills and I haven't read it in 5 years. Brilliant.

I finished Pet Sematary over the weekend. I absolutely loved it. The characters in it were very realistic, really well written. It's just a book that has an impact on the reader, i feel. It's not one of those books you forget about as soon as you finish it. It stays with you.
    I've just started Carrie and am gonna go through his back catalogue in chronological order

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I couldn't get past the immense sadness of 'Pet Semetary'. The bit where
    he climbs into Gage's grave and lifts him out is so well written you can almost smell the dampness of the surrounding soil, just awful, I just couldn't detach myself at all from how he must have been feeling
    . Really well written but heart breaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭sxt

I re-read "pet semetary" again also! .Great book! ,the characters really do come to life .Whilst it is a horrifying book (mean that in a good way,I love the feeling when your skin crawls after reading a passage of writing),there are many humourous and touching bits throughout the story which really make you feel for the characters.Very chilling ending! *shivers*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

The Shining is a very well written book. I'll get in trouble for this but i didn't like the film at all. never mind that there's tonnes of it nowhere in the book. there is a genuine creepiness throughout and in parts really claustrophobic.

A mate of mine read "Dreamcatcher" and swears it's actually quite good which is what i can't say for the film

Well i finished Salem's Lot and it scared the sh!t out of me at times. I really loved it, i couldn't wait to get back to reading it whenever i put it down.
    A thing i'm noticing with his books since i started reading them over the past fortnight (Pet Semetary, Carrie, Salem's Lot. I'm reading The Shining at the moment) is that the dialogue between characters is very well written and realisic. At times, you forget you're reading and instead feels like you're just listening in on their conversation.
    I'm so glad i've got so many more of his books to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

p to the e wrote: »
    The Shining is a very well written book. I'll get in trouble for this but i didn't like the film at all. never mind that there's tonnes of it nowhere in the book. there is a genuine creepiness throughout and in parts really claustrophobic.

A mate of mine read "Dreamcatcher" and swears it's actually quite good which is what i can't say for the film

I can't say I thought much of Dreamcatcher, I thought it started off very promisingly (have I just invented a word???), but totally lost the plot at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

its so weird coz i just cannot watch horror movies (even bad ones) without basically wetting myself and ripping my OHs arm off!!! but i am a huge fan of SK.

just finished Cell but was left in a rage by the ending!!

i love love love The Dark Half...probably one of my favourite books ever and really scary!! also found Salem's Lot terrifying!!

Lisey's Story is hard to get into but then gets very tense and gripping AND weird!!
    Gerald's Game...brill and scary!!
    Rose Madder...fantastic characters.
    Dolores Claiborne..i think is beautifully written

have been too scared to read IT but i will give it a shot..its been sitting under my bed for ages!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

I haven't read to many of King's books, but I liked "From a Buik 8". Something about it scared me when I read it as a kid.
    And "Dreamcatcher". though the movie version a crap.

Advertisement