Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOVADO UMR - 3G USB router (For use with O2, Three & Vodafone)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ikon

Just looking for some help in setting up DMZ on Dovado? Trying to connect another router onto Dovado and open all the ports only for the other router?

I have 3GN router and the latest firmware 4.1.6 loaded.

thanks.

Hi,

Just a question (or two)!

First, I have updated the firmware from 4.1.0 to the present 4.2.2.2254 official, and I have noticed that there seems to be an IP address located beside the connectivity indicator (I could be wrong, just that it consists of 4 octets), if it is an IP address, it seems to be different from what is displayed when I use whatsmyip.com, etc or dyndns which I have installed.

Could someone be so kind to inform me of it's function, I have looked at the firmware upgrade page, though since I have upgraded from an older version, the page displays newer functionalities and there is no mention of this, also there is no updated manual which I could download and locate info on this.

Second, I have several devices in my LAN, and one of which is a server (2008 enterprise) which I have tight vnc and open vpn configured on, all of which operated and configured when I was on DSL with BT.

I have moved house recently, and brought out the UMR along with a 3.ie Midband Huawei E1550 (bill pay), I have set up the port forwarding to reflect these ports needed for this process's to operate, I have also entered the dynamic dns (dyn dns) details and info required.

I can not not ping no1 to my host over the WAN, thought it is set up accordingly (?), I have tried it on a win box and the first ping initiates and returns a ttl though refuses it and the following packets.

I would really appreciate, if any one could point me in the right direction.
    I have spoken to 3 about their ports, and they say that they are all open and should work, though on further research on the net I am curious regarding their APN (public vs private ip's), etc.

Again, any help on this, Thank you in advance.

James

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Outward, maybe, Inward it's unlikely to work well as 3 route all via transparent proxies and a few IPs. DynDNS isn't very useful if 10,000 people have same IP at same time. :(

watty wrote: »
    Outward, maybe, Inward it's unlikely to work well as 3 route all via transparent proxies and a few IPs. DynDNS isn't very useful if 10,000 people have same IP at same time. :(

I was thinking that.
    I was speaking to 3 support asking about if their ports were open and it took 20 mins to get an answer back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Hi

I am connecting a NAS dongle to the UMR.

I have followed the settings on Dovado.com re: How do I setup my UMR so that I can host a public server for people to reach from outside?

But, I can't connect to my NAS, it seems to keep timing out?

Any ideas ?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

silly question, but where do you buy these routers? ive been on http://www.dovado.com/Routers.html but can't see anywhere to purchase!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭gillad

click on "distribution"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

UMR or 3GN?

I'm not keen on a fixed antenna. How hard would it be to 'bodge' an RP-SMA socket onto the Dovado 3GN?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 heinz57g

hello, just checking, anybody had problems after updating a UMR to firmware 4.2.3?

mine since the update does not work with a ZTE MF626 stick anymore, something me and the DOVADO support had worked on last year for a while, until it did.

now, whatever i try, no-go. and, using other sticks (that do work), the date/time does not seem to find a server, it starts and stays at 01jan2001 00.00h ...

have already contacted the excellent DOVADO support, and am sure it will be sorted out somehow, but was just wondering if anyone else here experienced similar, ie an upgrade turning into a downgrade?

greetings - heinz -

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭cormy

Hi Dovado. The supported modem list for my 3GN router includes my Huawei E1752 (on o2). The 3GN's firmware is 4.2.4.

My problem is that it usually takes two or three power cycles (and/or resets through the GUI), before the modem connects.

On the other hand I was able to test using the same 3GN router with someone else's 3 Network modem - it worked first time, every time.

When I do get connected (with the E1752), the signal strength is '64% (3G)' (or some other fgure in the 60s) - so I don't think this is an issue.

It doesn't sound therefore as though this modem is fully supported. Do you have any recommendations.

Other users -> Does anyone else use the E1752 and 3GN combination successfully or am I not alone in this??

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Hey Dovado,

I just wanted to know if releasing new features for the UMR is going to be phased out with the release of the 4GR, or are new features going to be released side-by-side on all platforms for the foreseeable future?

has this not been discussed before? cant find it though.

many providers need SMS mssgs to 'short' numbers being send to change account options,
    check balances, change setups, and so on.

the UMR when asked to send a mssg to '1699' for example keeps telling you '' Number must
    be in international format, e.g. +4612345679 '', and cannot send to just '1699' at all. putting
    a country or area code in front also does not work.

question: why does the UMR limit where i can send SMSs to? whats the point anyhow? next
    thing i know will be not being able to send SMSs to my mother-in-law ...

and whats the work-around or fix?

greetings - heinz -

FOUND IT - FOUND IT - FOUND IT

the short number issue - i remembered having read about it, but it was not
    here in the forum, but on one of the DOVADO help pages:

-->> In the recipient field, place a "+" before the number, such as +71456

easy when you know it, so hope it helps somebody some day.

greetings - heinz -

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭DOVADO

cormy wrote: »
    Hi Dovado. The supported modem list for my 3GN router includes my Huawei E1752 (on o2). The 3GN's firmware is 4.2.4.

My problem is that it usually takes two or three power cycles (and/or resets through the GUI), before the modem connects.

On the other hand I was able to test using the same 3GN router with someone else's 3 Network modem - it worked first time, every time.

When I do get connected (with the E1752), the signal strength is '64% (3G)' (or some other fgure in the 60s) - so I don't think this is an issue.

It doesn't sound therefore as though this modem is fully supported. Do you have any recommendations.

Other users -> Does anyone else use the E1752 and 3GN combination successfully or am I not alone in this??

Thanks!

Have you looked at the possibility of upgrading the USB modem's firmware of your operator website? They might have a fix for that there.

Schorpio wrote: »
    Hey Dovado,

I just wanted to know if releasing new features for the UMR is going to be phased out with the release of the 4GR, or are new features going to be released side-by-side on all platforms for the foreseeable future?

The 4GR is the successor to the UMR. The UMR has been selling since May of 2008. We will maintain minor firmware development on the UMR throughout the summer (new modems and fixes for the most part) and phase out before launching a milestone release.

Some of the new coming features will not be capable of running on the UMR due to processing limitations. This is where the 4GR steps in.

Thanks

heinz57g wrote: »
    FOUND IT - FOUND IT - FOUND IT

the short number issue - i remembered having read about it, but it was not
    here in the forum, but on one of the DOVADO help pages:

-->> In the recipient field, place a "+" before the number, such as +71456

easy when you know it, so hope it helps somebody some day.

greetings - heinz -

Yes, all this info is on our FAQ located on http://www.dovado.com/support

We update our info regularly.

Thanks

yes, but when you are 'out in the field' you very often dont have the time or possibility
    to look at every nook and corner.

suggestion: add on your error mssg in the firmware '' ... Number must be in international
    format, e.g. +4612345679 ...
    '' a '' - short numbers as +XXXX '', and you would help
    many people stuck with that issue.

greetings - heinz -

yes, but when you are 'out in the field' you very often dont have the time or possibility
    to look at every nook and corner.

suggestion: add on your error mssg in the firmware '' ... Number must be in international
    format, e.g. +4612345679 ...
    '' a '' - short numbers as +XXXX '', and you would help
    many people stuck with that issue.

greetings - heinz -

Heinz,

Next coming major release will have a "short number" tick box, and you won't have to put in a "+" sign ahead of the number. :-)

super - i know you are also the remote control experts, but how do you read my brain?

greetings - heinz -

super - i know you are also the remote control experts, but how do you read my brain?

greetings - heinz -

Easy! Great minds think alike! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

I have a Dovado UMR router and I was wondering whether you can see what devices are or have been connected to the router. I have a feeling someone has hacked into my router and is using my internet. Is there a way I can find out this for sure?
    Also how can I set up the most secure key so noone can hack it. I think I have set up a WEP key which i think is the least secure key of them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PatrickbMccabe

Is there any way to get the router to reset if self on a routine?

Reganovski wrote: »
    I have a Dovado UMR router and I was wondering whether you can see what devices are or have been connected to the router. I have a feeling someone has hacked into my router and is using my internet. Is there a way I can find out this for sure?
    Also how can I set up the most secure key so noone can hack it. I think I have set up a WEP key which i think is the least secure key of them all.

Yeah, go to LAN->DHCP and view the DHCP leases.

You can also go to LAN->HOSTS and view which hosts are currently connected to the Interwebs.

Is there any way to get the router to reset if self on a routine?

If you mean "reset" as in master reset, then no.

If you mean "restart", then I suggest you use a simple €3 power timer which you would normally use on your lamps when you're away from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

DOVADO wrote: »
    Yeah, go to LAN->DHCP and view the DHCP leases.

You can also go to LAN->HOSTS and view which hosts are currently connected to the Interwebs.

Thanks for that....what about the WEP key? Is there a tutorial for setting up a key?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PatrickbMccabe

DOVADO wrote: »
    If you mean "reset" as in master reset, then no.

If you mean "restart", then I suggest you use a simple €3 power timer which you would normally use on your lamps when you're away from home.

Thanks for the prompt answer! My problem, is that the minimum off time for a timer like that is 15 mins, I was just hoping, , , , that there would be a software way of resetting the router on a schedule, as those resets only last 60 seconds. We have a high turnover of Mac/PC guests coming in an out of our facility and I find that I am for ever running up and down the stairs to reset the router in the attic!

Would there be any other way of addressing this issue?

Thanks
    Paddy

Thanks for the prompt answer! My problem, is that the minimum off time for a timer like that is 15 mins, I was just hoping, , , , that there would be a software way of resetting the router on a schedule, as those resets only last 60 seconds. We have a high turnover of Mac/PC guests coming in an out of our facility and I find that I am for ever running up and down the stairs to reset the router in the attic!

Would there be any other way of addressing this issue?

Thanks
    Paddy

Read this: http://www.dovado.com/FAQ.html#routerdrop

And by the way, there are digital timers that cost a couple of euros more than can switch off for only 1 min if you like. How often do you have to do this???? Isn't once every 4am enough?

Reganovski wrote: »
    Thanks for that....what about the WEP key? Is there a tutorial for setting up a key?

Did you read the manual? You can get it from http://www.dovado.com/Guides.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭skar

hello,
    Ok, to my client I connected dovado 3gn router with his e122 modem from three (it's on support modems list). And there is no connection with internet, it's all right when connected straight to windows PC.
    Router says that modem is connected. I can see (and ping) modems IP addresses but can't ping/reach external (dns, google etc.) IP address.
    I reset, change APN to 3internet, remove tick from NETWORK SETTINGS->Let router select safe settings...(tried leave it unchanged) and again modem is connected except no Internet connection.
    I've got Internet connection once but after few minutes gone..bum no connection but router shows modem connected.

router FW: 4.2.5
    Huawey e122 FW (can't find localy, only in three from Sweden) is it risky to upgrade firmware from there???
    Did anybody tried 3GN with e122 modem?
    What I should try next?

Thanks
    Remi

• Advertisement

skar wrote: »
    hello,
    Ok, to my client I connected dovado 3gn router with his e122 modem from three (it's on support modems list). And there is no connection with internet, it's all right when connected straight to windows PC.
    Router says that modem is connected. I can see (and ping) modems IP addresses but can't ping/reach external (dns, google etc.) IP address.
    I reset, change APN to 3internet, remove tick from NETWORK SETTINGS->Let router select safe settings...(tried leave it unchanged) and again modem is connected except no Internet connection.
    I've got Internet connection once but after few minutes gone..bum no connection but router shows modem connected.

router FW: 4.2.5
    Huawey e122 FW (can't find localy, only in three from Sweden) is it risky to upgrade firmware from there???
    Did anybody tried 3GN with e122 modem?
    What I should try next?

Thanks
    Remi

Remi, walk me through this so there won't be any misunderstsandings.

- Where did you buy the Huawei E122 modem? From which country?
    - Where are you trying to use it currently? I take it to be Ireland?
    - Which firmware is your Huawei E122 loaded with?

Thanks

Advertisement