Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOVADO UMR - 3G USB router (For use with O2, Three & Vodafone)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭skar

DOVADO wrote: »
    Remi, walk me through this so there won't be any misunderstsandings.

- Where did you buy the Huawei E122 modem? From which country?
    - Where are you trying to use it currently? I take it to be Ireland?
    - Which firmware is your Huawei E122 loaded with?

Thanks

Well I didn't ask the client, but I'm sure he got modem here in Ireland from three broadband.
    Gerry from commsoft(very happy with their service) sent to me details to dovado support webpage. I just fallowed the form in website to describe about this issue.
    I didn't look at e122 FW, Tomorrow I'll go on site again to try other modems from three(if I find spare one).
    I tried to find firmware for e122 modem before going to client (as I always like to have equipment in most current software), but was dificult to find (found one there http://www.tre.se/Privat/Kundservice/Teknisk-Support/Bredbandssupport/Uppgradera-ditt-3Bredband/modem/ ) but not sure is it the right one as e122 from Ireland three and firmware from sweden :rolleyes:
    I suspect e122 ....as 'dovado' is in current firmware? your professional opinion will be appreciated ;)

thanks for respond
    Remi

This evening I'll give a try last time (try to change router's firmware). If I can't make it running with e122 modem then the only option is send it back to supplier.
    I've sent log files and screenshots from router to dovado support but didn't get straight answers to a problem as they say they need more log files (can't each time go to client 50km only to get more log files).
    Well e122 modem working great with PC (I don't think it's a problem with e122 firmware). It seems that 'dovado 3GN' router not working out of a box with e122 modem as it should. Sad..

Thanks

Just wish to state, that I am using a E122 from three for the last 2 months and I have had no problems, it functions a lot better than previous E220.

Do hope you get it working.

Here are my specs,

USB Modem: Huawei 3G
    Firmware Revision: 4.2.2.2254 official
    Firmware build date: 2010-06-03T08:28:38Z

Model:E122
    Firmware:11.005.00.04.21

NoDrama wrote: »
    Just wish to state, that I am using a E122 from three for the last 2 months and I have had no problems, it functions a lot better than previous E220.

Do hope you get it working.

Here are my specs,

USB Modem: Huawei 3G
    Firmware Revision: 4.2.2.2254 official
    Firmware build date: 2010-06-03T08:28:38Z

Model:E122
    Firmware:11.005.00.04.21

I see, thank you.
    Modems firmware same as yours.
    Your router is Dovado 3GN or UMR?
    I'm using 3GN and there is no 4.2.2 firmware for this router on dovado support site
    It seems all I have to do is downgrade routers firmware, I'll try to renew again with the same 4.2.5 first (as it's newer and after some googling found that for some that helped) if nothing downgrade should do the trick.
    Tomorrow will report :cool:
    Did you tried with new dovado firmware?
    Thanks

Yesterday in evening upgraded firmware from 4.2.5 to the same 4.2.5 ...yes, the same one from dovado.com
    Today:
    1. Powered up and everything is working.
    2. Later set up password for Wireless and internet tracking.
    3. After router reboot... 2 hours and internet working with no problem.

So that means:
    If I got 'Dovado 3GN' router with newest firmware and it has connection issues, that doesn't mean I don't have to update it(even with the same FW version).

I think that would help for those who'll have same or similar problem.
    When I made very first connection to the router notice it has newest firmware and didn't think about router update at all :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 heinz57g

Easy! Great minds think alike! :rolleyes:

well, just a trial here in bulgaria, where i am stuck for a few days.

here for sure the + infront of the short number does NOT work, it
    simply will not send an SMS. tried same modem (Huawei K3520)
    with its own software, fine. tried with third party software (IQonn),
    fine too. tried with and without SMS service center number, still
    no go with the UMR.

any idea?

greetings - heinz -

PS: all incoming SMSs show up fine, though.

addition to above, but, dear DOVADO, certainly not along the ''great minds think alike'' line!

just for good orders sake, checked with the provider why my SMS to their free 17XX number
    did never get through.

took a while to convince them to find and go through their detailed records, but there were my
    11 trials: +17XX noted down 11 times, and charged as an international SMS because i used
    the + in front indicating the SMS was for the USA.

well done, my friends. not only can i not reach short numbers, but i also get charged 11 times
    a fairly expensive international SMS.

somehow, a shot in the foot, no? and a 'back to the drawing board'.

greetings - heinz -

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭The Belcher

A first time poster here so apologies if I'm doing anything wrong by asking this but could somebody reccomend the best place to buy one of these please. I want to make sure it has a plug suitable for Ireland and if possible the latest firmware already installed. I see they are all sold out on Commsoft and only have the 3GN models now. I need the UMR model with the two usb ports for the y connection as I seem to pull in a better signal that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ballyfurty

I have aDOVADO UMR - 3G USB router with two computers using it. I am looking for Net monitor that will monitor total usage of the router from one computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭DOVADO

heinz57g wrote: »
    addition to above, but, dear DOVADO, certainly not along the ''great minds think alike'' line!

just for good orders sake, checked with the provider why my SMS to their free 17XX number
    did never get through.

took a while to convince them to find and go through their detailed records, but there were my
    11 trials: +17XX noted down 11 times, and charged as an international SMS because i used
    the + in front indicating the SMS was for the USA.

well done, my friends. not only can i not reach short numbers, but i also get charged 11 times
    a fairly expensive international SMS.

somehow, a shot in the foot, no? and a 'back to the drawing board'.

greetings - heinz -

Heinz,

Kindly get in contact with our support staff by filling out the support form, state your issue with the short SMS, and we'll send you a beta firmware where you can qualify the proper short SMS functionality.

http://www.dovado.com/SupportForm.html

Thanks

• Advertisement

A first time poster here so apologies if I'm doing anything wrong by asking this but could somebody reccomend the best place to buy one of these please. I want to make sure it has a plug suitable for Ireland and if possible the latest firmware already installed. I see they are all sold out on Commsoft and only have the 3GN models now. I need the UMR model with the two usb ports for the y connection as I seem to pull in a better signal that way.

The Belcher,

The UMR is no longer a sold product. It has been succeeded by the 4GR. A dual-USB router will only provide your modem extra power IF your USB modem came with a Y-cable to begin with. If it did not, then it doesn't require in excess of 500mA to keep it fully powered. Most modems today do not require 2 ports for full power, so please review that before making your decision on which router to buy.

Thank you

Ballyfurty wrote: »
    I have aDOVADO UMR - 3G USB router with two computers using it. I am looking for Net monitor that will monitor total usage of the router from one computer.

Tried http://www.netlimiter.com/ ?

Heinz,

Kindly get in contact with our support staff ....

http://www.dovado.com/SupportForm.html

Thanks

sure, will do that. but i still think discussing it here on the board serves a very useful dual
    purpose, also for your sake: ( a ) other people might have had the same issue, and can fill
    in, and ( b ) customers who might have fallen into the same trap (in some countries, intl
    SMSs with the wrong SIM-card can be frightfully expensive!) are forwarned and do not have
    to go through it.

i ended up paying for a suggestion out of your support FAQs. i think it is only fair trying to
    prevent others doing the same.

don't agree?

greetings - heinz -

The Belcher,

The UMR is no longer a sold product. It has been succeeded by the 4GR. A dual-USB router will only provide your modem extra power IF your USB modem came with a Y-cable to begin with. If it did not, then it doesn't require in excess of 500mA to keep it fully powered. Most modems today do not require 2 ports for full power, so please review that before making your decision on which router to buy.

Thank you

Thanks for the reply, I have a Sierra888 modem I don't use anyway so could use that with the new model router.
    Cheers.

heinz57g wrote: »
    sure, will do that. but i still think discussing it here on the board serves a very useful dual
    purpose, also for your sake: ( a ) other people might have had the same issue, and can fill
    in, and ( b ) customers who might have fallen into the same trap (in some countries, intl
    SMSs with the wrong SIM-card can be frightfully expensive!) are forwarned and do not have
    to go through it.

i ended up paying for a suggestion out of your support FAQs. i think it is only fair trying to
    prevent others doing the same.

don't agree?

greetings - heinz -

Your case was unfortunate, and we hope that our introduction of a permanent solution to cover short SMS's will not have the operators thinking it's an international message. It's odd because we haven't heard about this from others up until you mentioned it.

Thanks for the reply, I have a Sierra888 modem I don't use anyway so could use that with the new model router.
    Cheers.

The SW 888 works perfectly fine on a single USB port.

Thanks

Am I right in saying that I need to have an ethernet cable connected to the laptop from the 3GN router(just arrived yesterday) before attempting to connect to the http://192.168.0.1/ address? I'm trying to set it up now.
    I'm a complete techno thickie so haven't a clue what I'm at. I'm assuming that's why I can't access the set up wizard page. I don't have an ethernet cable so am I assume there's no other way round this only to go out and buy one.

Would anyone have a link for a step by step idiots guide out there...?

Your case was unfortunate, and we hope that our introduction of a permanent solution to cover short SMS's will not have the operators thinking it's an international message. It's odd because we haven't heard about this from others up until you mentioned it.

not sure why you think its all that odd: +1 320x... would be the legitimate start of a USA number,
    so technically they are correct, the + being used for the 00 or the 0011 which indicates the foreign
    connection. so when i talked to them, i had little of an argument ... they only saw the actual number
    i dialed, and explaining to them which modem, or what an UMR was, would have been futile.

apperently your UMR (sorry, MY UMR) did not filter out the + as an indication for a 'short' number,
    but passed it on as an indication for a foreign call.

greetings - heinz -

Am I right in saying that I need to have an ethernet cable connected to the laptop from the 3GN router(just arrived yesterday) before attempting to connect to the http://192.168.0.1/ address? I'm trying to set it up now.
    I'm a complete techno thickie so haven't a clue what I'm at. I'm assuming that's why I can't access the set up wizard page. I don't have an ethernet cable so am I assume there's no other way round this only to go out and buy one.

Would anyone have a link for a step by step idiots guide out there...?

Have you tried with wireless?

Have you tried with wireless?

How do you mean exactly? I thought the only way to access the wireless o2 signal from the router was to go to the address I mentioned above and set it up?
    If you have step by step instructions on how to do otherwise I'm all ears. All I did so far was put the o2 modem into the front of the router and power on the router. When I type in the address on the address bar it says not available(as I now have no internet connection)
    I went into wireless networks on my laptop to see if I could connect or see anything but there was nothing in there either. I assume if I just get an ethernet cable and run it from the router to my laptop I would then have an internet connection, could go into the set up wizard using the address and then set up the router for wireless. Is that correct? Sorry for asking such stupid and I'd imagine fairly obvious questions, it's just I have no experience in doing stuff like this.

• Advertisement

How do you mean exactly? I thought the only way to access the wireless o2 signal from the router was to go to the address I mentioned above and set it up?
    If you have step by step instructions on how to do otherwise I'm all ears. All I did so far was put the o2 modem into the front of the router and power on the router. When I type in the address on the address bar it says not available(as I now have no internet connection)
    I went into wireless networks on my laptop to see if I could connect or see anything but there was nothing in there either. I assume if I just get an ethernet cable and run it from the router to my laptop I would then have an internet connection, could go into the set up wizard using the address and then set up the router for wireless. Is that correct? Sorry for asking such stupid and I'd imagine fairly obvious questions, it's just I have no experience in doing stuff like this.

Kindly get in touch with us through our support portal: http://www.dovado.com/SupportForm.html

Thanks

You are right.

You need an Ethernet cable to communicate with the router first.
    Then you use the setup wizard (which is displayed by default when first connected).
    Turn on wireless, and create authentication and encryption.
    Save and reset.
    Unplug Ethernet (cat5) cable.
    Search for network created and enter password created to access internet.
    Then you can access the Router in the same manner as in the Ethernet cable earlier to access and modify any features.
    Try and borrow a Cat5 cable from a friend or drop into a tesco where they can be got for very little.

Cheers No Drama, greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Quoi?

Thinking of getting one of these.

Quick question - Once configured, does the 3G Modem (3 Mobile in my case, most recent modem I believe) need to be left plugged into the router?

I.e. if I'm using it at home, but then leave the house and want to take it with me - when I return, can I just plug it into the router, or do I need to go and configure the (3G) connection settings again on the router?

Thanks

Quoi? wrote: »
    Thinking of getting one of these.

Quick question - Once configured, does the 3G Modem (3 Mobile in my case, most recent modem I believe) need to be left plugged into the router?

I.e. if I'm using it at home, but then leave the house and want to take it with me - when I return, can I just plug it into the router, or do I need to go and configure the (3G) connection settings again on the router?

Thanks

No need to re-configure the router, settings are saved.

Just ensure to power off the router when removing or inserting the modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

Gmail uses SSL encryption, which isn't currently supported. Many devices do not support SSL at first. Have you checked if you can use Meteor's SMTP server, perhaps?

is gmail supported now?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jamesnp

etcetc wrote: »
    is gmail supported now?

just use smtp.o2.ie, meteor, etc. It makes no difference.

-jp

• Advertisement

Hi all,

We've put together a mobile app for iPhone and Android smartphones called the DOVADO Remote Control. You can see what it's all about on http://www.dovado.com/apps

It works on the 4GR and it's predecessor, the UMR. It requires you to run version 4.3.0 of the firmware on the router as well.

Thanks!

Advertisement