Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How difficult are the FAE's?

• 22-08-2008 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

How difficult are the FAE's? I was looking at the institute website and the pass rate is very high ,over 80%.

I have to say that i fancy those odds. Anyone here find them difficult easy etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 sawilson2003

The FAE has a high pass rate, the problem is getting to the FAE, they weed people out at PROF II & III.

I would still say the FAE is difficult and not easy, you have to put a lot of work into pass them.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Superdub2

word is the hard work is done at prof 3 and believe me they are difficult with lots of people failing. as for the FAE's ill tell you how hard they are in two weeks time! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭djdeclan

You can't really compare FAE to any other set of exams, its completely open book unlike Prof 2 + 3 & ACCA (don't know about CIMA or CPA).
    As the lads said the Prof 3s make or break you so if you can pass them you don't have much more material to cover for FAE, just a completely different type of exam!
    Two weeks and we're done Superdub2... I can't wait!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭SuperStarHoney

I was just looking at my FAE notes last night and laughing to my hubby saying what a waste of time labeling all the notes in so much detail was. You have very little time in the actual exams to look at the notes.

On the original post, all the ACA exams are easily achievable if you put the work in. Personally I found auditing in the prof 3's the most difficult paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭daraghmack

djdeclan wrote: »
    You can't really compare FAE to any other set of exams, its completely open book unlike Prof 2 + 3 & ACCA (don't know about CIMA or CPA).
    As the lads said the Prof 3s make or break you so if you can pass them you don't have much more material to cover for FAE, just a completely different type of exam!
    Two weeks and we're done Superdub2... I can't wait!!

Im with ye on that one lads. One thing I will say is that they are not as easy as I expected from listening to what people had been saying. I expected to be really confident going into these, Im not, in fact Im pretty bloody worried!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭djdeclan

Man once we get audit out of the way it should be ok... Seriously worried about that one, could easily go either way on the day..
    MABF could be a bit dodge too but the rest should be do-able.

Can't wait till Friday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Best of luck to all - hope they're as easy as everyone is saying they are. I'm actually pretty worried about tax myself, an easy subject but often hard to figure out where to go with your answers - sometimes the solutions make reference to things I would never think of including.

As far as the rest are concerned, provided nothing really strange come up, they should be alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Keverton

FAE's are challenging exams but the hard work is in getting the files together so you can reference to the material quickly during the exams. But definitely true to say that all the hard work is done at Prof 3. You can do the Masters of Accountancy and get exemptions from Prof 2 and 3. Well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dave Riordan

I repeated two last week folks and the tax was'nt great.
    Definitely not as tough as the Prof 3's though.
    IF ANYONE FEELS AT THIS POINT THAT THEY HAVE THEM PASSED GIVE ME A SHOUT AND I WILL GET YOU A STEP UP IN PRACTICE! ;)

Dave
    Senior consultant
    Careers Register - 01-5005904

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Badboy21

FAE's

I am doing my FAE's in September 09, i passed my Prof threes first time, that was nice . But there were hard as nails literally i spend the last 4 weeks studying twelve hrs days, they were the hardest exams i had evr done in my whole life. MABF was the worst i studies this subject four weeks straight but still failed it and had to compensate. What a nightmare subject. As for the FAE's i think it will be easier the prof three pass rates last year was around 66% . That means 1 in 3 people didnt mange to pass them all.

Anyway has anyone got any tips on how to go about doing the FAE's , is it better to amke lots of notes and refernce them during the exma, or is there very little time and your best bet it to memorize eveything. I certainy know that the prof 3 were a bit of a memory game, with the majirty of my time spent learning theory and tax exemptions and that kind of stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

in my experience (just did them) there is too much stuff to memorise. However you could gather together ten folders of notes and they would be no good to you as you wont have the time to go through them all. Threfore what you need to do is have consise well referenced material so that when you recognise a subject in the exam you go to that part of your notes and fingers crossed you have something to help you.

God you are so organised thinking about things this early!

ams wrote: »
    in my experience (just did them) there is too much stuff to memorise. However you could gather together ten folders of notes and they would be no good to you as you wont have the time to go through them all. Threfore what you need to do is have consise well referenced material so that when you recognise a subject in the exam you go to that part of your notes and fingers crossed you have something to help you.

God you are so organised thinking about things this early!

Yes i am indeed organised, im looking to get placed perhaps.. i am a very ambitious man... and being second best will not do. Before im 30 i want to be CFO of a 100 FTSE company.

I got 600 points in my leaving cert and came first in my year in commerce in UCD.

Anyway i was wondering how you exactly refernce the material, would it be best to get a note book and refrnce evryhitng or what.

How can u study something for so long if the material is there infront of you, this is a very perplexing question. Surely if i jsut borried somebody refernce and walked in thr FAES i could pass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Badboy21 wrote: »
    Surely if i jsut borried somebody refernce and walked in thr FAES i could pass!

Not really, my notes which make sense to me may mean **** all to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭gerry87

Yes i am indeed organised, im looking to get placed perhaps.. i am a very ambitious man... and being second best will not do. Before im 30 i want to be CFO of a 100 FTSE company.

I got 600 points in my leaving cert and came first in my year in commerce in UCD.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57509798&postcount=117

510 or 600, Discuss

gerry87 wrote: »

I got 510 in my first attempt but got the full 600 points on my second attempt, cause i didnt get enough points for my couse the first time around!

Why do u try and continouly verbally undermine my position. You are no more than a thug that should be banned from posting irrelevant and ignorant comments to your fellow board members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

I got 510 in my first attempt but got the full 600 points on my second attempt, cause i didnt get enough points for my couse the first time around!

Since when are the points for Commerce in UCD greater than 510 points?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

You are no more than a thug that should be banned from posting irrelevant and ignorant comments to your fellow board members.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57509798&postcount=117

And once again, irony rears it's ugly head!

EDIT: How does someone who got 600 in points in their LC manage to spell the name of where they're from wrong?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

That thread also says he's doing law in UCD. So you came first in your year in commerce, and are now doing law and your FAEs at the same time?
    Could you expain that please? I'd genuinely like to know as it seems strange to me.

Also, speaking of irrelevance, how was it relevant for you to post your leaving cert results? And if you got 600 after, why would you boast in another thread about your original 510 instead of the 600?

Advertisement