Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE commentator on Olympic Basketball

• 22-08-2008 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭

Who is this clown? No man with a dodgey Louth/Westmeath wherever-in-Ireland-he-may-be-from accent should ever utter anything as enthusiastically as he utters 'REJECTION!' 'hes tekken'em down-tow-win'... Is he an Irish basketball coach? I'd watch the games if that bloke wasnt waffling away in the background...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Rivals Joe Buck and Tony Kornheiser as the worst announcer out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

You've got your regions mixed up, he's from around Cork/Waterford as far as I know. But yeh most basketball fans I've talked to would agree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I liked him 4 years ago when he did it and I like him now. I'm not a basketball expert by any means. However his enthusiasm is clearly genuine for the game and it rubs off on me when I'm watching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

He is really awful. As Vince said he's enthusiastic and is able to keep the commentary going but the cliche's and cringeworthy American slang make it unbearable.

I watched most of the basketball in these Olympics online rte.ie

Tim McCarthy do you mean? Hilarious commentator (if you aren't into basketball).

http://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics2008/2008/0810/basketball1.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

anywhere theres a video of it? I actually found it really funny listening to him :pac:

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I liked him 4 years ago when he did it and I like him now. I'm not a basketball expert by any means. However his enthusiasm is clearly genuine for the game and it rubs off on me when I'm watching it.
    Exactly! He makes even the most boring match sound like a classic. I do think LeBron James will be putting out a restraining order against him though! :D
    dazftw wrote: »
    anywhere theres a video of it? I actually found it really funny listening to him :pac:
    Agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭63587614

Lads I think this guy is savage, the fact that everyone is talking about him has to show his effect on people. I think he's from the Tralee area of Kerry.

Fans would've heard him commentate on superleague games in National stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

While Timmy is not fantastic, remember that Ger Canning used to do it! Not that was god awful to listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

What i hate about him, is that he has 3 pieces of information on each player, and when they do something, he just lists those things. They are: Height, Position, Team.

ie: "Tim Duncan! The Sixx Foot Four! Centre! From San Antonio!... With the Slam Jam!"

As a basketball fan i cant stomach that, i just cant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Whats even more embarassing is that Duncan isn't even 6'4...

Advertisement