Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved into house a year agao and still haven't got an ESB Bill!!

Options
  • 22-08-2008 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi There,

we moved into a houyse over a year agao and have received no esb bill as of yet. We only discovered this about a week or 2 ago.

Normally we work the bills that one of us takes care of the ESB and the other the Gas the gas was sorted out but the ESB wasn't.

What happens now? do we ring ESB and let them know? How will they charge us will they average out usage over the last year and the rates that were used at those times.

I presume there is no way to get around not paying the bill. but is there a way to pay the bill in insatlments over the next year we are kinda scared to contact the esb and have them demand full and cut us off

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

If it was me id say nothing but make sure theres a bit of cash set aside in case ya get hit with a massive bill

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Have you got a meter box at the side of your house?
    Is it a new house or could the bill be going to the previous owners address?
    Did anyone every ring to put the ESB into own name?

Are you Students?:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Sullynew wrote: »
    Hi There,

we moved into a houyse over a year agao and have received no esb bill as of yet. We only discovered this about a week or 2 ago.

Normally we work the bills that one of us takes care of the ESB and the other the Gas the gas was sorted out but the ESB wasn't.

What happens now? do we ring ESB and let them know? How will they charge us will they average out usage over the last year and the rates that were used at those times.

I presume there is no way to get around not paying the bill. but is there a way to pay the bill in insatlments over the next year we are kinda scared to contact the esb and have them demand full and cut us off

They will go from the Meter reading from when it was cut off till the reading you have now. Make sure you try to get them to average it out over old and new rates that came into effect.

The other option is to move house and say nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Orobhsa

Is it a new build? It could be still registered to the builder.

You need to ring them to sort it out or you could be cut off. I doubt the builder is paying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Niall001

I once lived in a house for a year without getting a bill. In the begining, the letting agent gave us the details to change it into my name. We called the ESB, they couldn't identify it, so they couldn't change it. We told the letting agent and asked them to look into it. Said we'd pay a bill if it came, regardless of whose name was on it. No bill ever came. We heard nothing from the landlord. Moved out and haven't heard anything since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Sullynew

We Bought the house and thought we had changed the meter into our names and had to get it reconnected but we never got anything after that but then again i could be confusing that with the gas bill..

I think its mad to not get a bill and was wondering what is the procedure when they do bill us for the electric used to date and how will they charge it.

Unfortunately we can't just move and leave the bill... that would have been nice though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

It is probably better to just contact the ESB since they will more than likely just send you a bill eventually for the full amount - then you will have a large bill to pay off rather than a few small bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

axer wrote: »
    It is probably better to just contact the ESB since they will more than likely just send you a bill eventually for the full amount - then you will have a large bill to pay off rather than a few small bills.

+1
    You should contact the ESB and ask them to divide the money owed into 6 or 12 installments and add them to your future bills over the next 12 to 24 months. By you contacting them first, they will accomodate you. Otherwise, they may start sending out letters telling you that it could affect your credit rating, etc. if you don't pay up immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

go to your meterbox at side of the house and take a reading and also write down the mprn number off the meter. this is a ten digit number which identifies your meter on your esb account. the esb have probably not set up your account fully yet to allow you to recieve bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

Have you checked your bank account? Might have opted for direct debit and paperless billing. When buying a house you sometimes forget what you avail of with everything going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

dilallio wrote: »
    +1
    You should contact the ESB and ask them to divide the money owed into 6 or 12 installments and add them to your future bills over the next 12 to 24 months. By you contacting them first, they will accomodate you. Otherwise, they may start sending out letters telling you that it could affect your credit rating, etc. if you don't pay up immediately.

Do remember that they can't, infact, affect your credit rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

matchthis wrote: »
    Have you checked your bank account? Might have opted for direct debit and paperless billing.

Didnt think they do paperless billing yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

The ESB would probably argue that the onus is on you to contact them the moment you realise that you're not receiving your bills, this is especially the case if they should cut you off in the meantime. The longer you leave it the bigger the problem it will be to have to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

foggy_lad wrote: »
    go to your meterbox at side of the house and take a reading and also write down the mprn number off the meter. this is a ten digit number which identifies your meter on your esb account. the esb have probably not set up your account fully yet to allow you to recieve bills.

The MPRN number is not on the meter. In the absence of a bill you have no way of knowing your MPRN number. Take the meter serial number (as well as the reading) and that will help the ESB to identify the account in case there is any confusion regarding the address. You can open the meter box using a standard meter cabinet key available from many hardware stores (or free of charge from the ESB). A long-nose pliers will also do the trick.

The ESB will accommodate you by spreading the payments of the bill over a mutually agreed period of time so don't worry. However, it is important that you contact them immediately as there may well be moves afoot to disconnect the supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭personaltrainer

This happened us a few years ago, I was only renting, didnt own the house! No ESB bill all year and when we went to move out the landlord showed up with a bill for the year not a pretty site :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'd simply put €100 aside every month for the eventual arrival of the bill. Better earning interest on the money as you wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

I would say ring the ESB and get it sorted.
    I'd simply put €100 aside every month for the eventual arrival of the bill. Better earning interest on the money as you wait.

However if you did plan to just put money aside until the bill finally arrived, I am pretty certain that there is a three year limit to what can be claimed. For example if you were using the electricity for ten years they could only bill you for three. They might get a bit annoyed cut you off and refuse to reconnect you ever again. Can you live without the ESB?

Advertisement