Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Gold Medal/Scholarships

Options
  • 22-08-2008 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭

Right, I was just wondering, has anyone on here who's sat the leaving ever got 400/400 and got awarded the gold medal in business? Or does anyone know anyone who did?

I got about 98% in my mocks, and I feel the actual leaving business exam went far far better, in fact I had actually done all the questions that had come up as preparation before hand... :pac:

I'm not saying I got 400, in fact it would be a miracle if I had managed it, but sheer curiosity is getting the better of me. I was away when the form to view your scripts had to be in so I cant find out that way! Does anyone here know if you'd get a letter or anything like that?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭annie19

Right, I was just wondering, has anyone on here who's sat the leaving ever got 400/400 and got awarded the gold medal in business? Or does anyone know anyone who did?

I got about 98% in my mocks, and I feel the actual leaving business exam went far far better, in fact I had actually done all the questions that had come up as preparation before hand... :pac:

I'm not saying I got 400, in fact it would be a miracle if I had managed it, but sheer curiosity is getting the better of me. I was away when the form to view your scripts had to be in so I cant find out that way! Does anyone here know if you'd get a letter or anything like that?

Thanks for any help

believe me if u got the Gold medal your school would be knocking your DOOr down!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

To hijack this thread a little bit, has anyone ever heard of ANYONE winning a Easter Week Commemoration Scholarship? (That is, there are 7 scholarships, one for each of the signatories of the Proclamation of the Irish Republic, all for different things. Details) My godmother won the Thomas MacDonagh one back in the day for languages, but I've never actually ever heard of anyone winning one since. (Obviously they do, as they're awarded every year, but you never hear anything about it.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Like how economics falls under the Connolly scholarship :cool:

To be honest, never heard a THING about that scheme before. Like you said, somebody is obviously winning them or they wouldn't be around. You think you know the system eh?...then you hear about all these Gold Medals and lovely scholarships...

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

Just wondering out of interest what other different prizes, etc. are given out? I'd heard of the Easter Rising ones, never heard of the Business medal before. What else is going & has anybody here won anything?

There are 2 scholarship schemes for people from disadvantaged areas/schools, and 3 scholarship schemes for the Irish language. (That is, for gaeltacht people, people who went to gaelscoileanna, and people applying for courses in Irish...). According to this page.

Anything else, I don't know. My English teacher mentioned the top student in English getting invited to the conference of English teachers or something, it's possible such things exist for other subjects.

Personally I'm still reeling over the fact that I got 600, but I definitely didn't work hard enough at the LC to get perfect scores. Well, possibly in Maths, since it's that sort of subject. But still. These sort of scholarships and things should definitely be publicised more. We all like gawking at supernerds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭yay_for_summer

There is the one for girls doing engineering, if you do well in maths and sciences, that was on the LC Irish tape. A good few people seemed to know about that one though. Dunno how many go for it each year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bilboa88

I've heard of two people winning one of those Easter Week Scholarships. One guy was a genius who won the Irish Maths Olympiad a few times and another girl is from the town that I live in. They're seriously good scholarships though, I mean it's something like €6,000 a year, or thats what I heard anyway and if you do a postgrad they continue on!!! Pity there are only 7 of them....

Edit 1: From what I heard, if you do get one of those Easter week scholarships, you'll hear about it before the day people go to see their scripts, but of course it probably changes year to year.

Wow, deadly. Didn't realise they were so valuable. I just thought it was a pat on the back and a thing to write on your CV. ("Officially sponsored by Padraic Pearse.")

To be honest for me they could give me €10 and I'd be as happy if I came anywhere near to getting the top score in any subject! I'm surprised they don't publicise it a bit more though, obviously some people might not like too much attention drawn to them if they won but they could at least make it known that things do exist. Something more for super competitive people to obsess over after getting their points, woohoo :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

There's a whole load of other smaller prizes too, given by other organisations, or established from endowments.

There's a list of them in "Rules and Programme for Secondary Schools", but I don't think this is available electronically. There should be a couple of copies lying around every school - talk to your frendly neighbourhood school secretary and you might get hold of one Or, if you're prepared to part with cash, you could try the Government Publications Sales Office.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

To hijack this thread a little bit, has anyone ever heard of ANYONE winning a Easter Week Commemoration Scholarship? (That is, there are 7 scholarships, one for each of the signatories of the Proclamation of the Irish Republic, all for different things. Details) My godmother won the Thomas MacDonagh one back in the day for languages, but I've never actually ever heard of anyone winning one since. (Obviously they do, as they're awarded every year, but you never hear anything about it.)

Yeah four of my friends each won one. You receive a phone call from the Min for Education around October/November and they are officially awarded at a ceremony a little after.

They are paid in three installments(in form of a cheque to your college) and are worth nearly seven thousand a year, you probably already know that the subjects are grouped differently and a certain score in Irish is required. Hope this helps.

dan719 wrote: »
    Yeah four of my friends each won one. You receive a phone call from the Min for Education around October/November and they are officially awarded at a ceremony a little after.

They are paid in three installments(in form of a cheque to your college) and are worth nearly seven thousand a year, you probably already know that the subjects are grouped differently and a certain score in Irish is required. Hope this helps.
    Jaysus, what a smart bunch of friends. 7 thousand a year... jesus christ. If I'd known that, I would have worked so much harder. With the prospect of €250 from TCD if I got over 550... I can't say I was much motivated. Ah well. At least I got to enjoy not working mad hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

PurpleFistMixer, if you got 600 then you will almost certainly be getting an entrance scholarship which is worth a very nice amount - the NUIG one was worth €1600, one off payment in the form of a cheque.

Zorba - I'm going to TCD. I'll get two book tokens spread over two years (?), to the total value of 250 euro. Sin a méid.

Zorba - I'm going to TCD. I'll get two book tokens spread over two years (?), to the total value of 250 euro. Sin a méid.

NUI's for the win, I guess? :D

Yeah... but Trinity offers a deadly scholarship you can go for in second year, that makes up for the measly 2,000 most other colleges offer.

At least you're not going to DCU (the college that only gives sports scholarships as far as I know anyway) with 600 points :rolleyes: Ah well I made my choice. It's okay....someone will appreciate me...somewhere :p

Anybody who gets any of those Easter Week ones or anything like that come back & let us know!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Does anyone know what the score in Irish is you need to get?

Not that I'd ever consider myself applicable for one, it just seemed vague "high score in Irish".

What I want to know is how they figure out the highest scorer in 3 different subjects. Would they add together your percentages for all 3 and take an average and compare averages or something? Would they do it as a percentile compared to other students in that same subject?

The interesting thing I noticed when I scanned that document is that the deciding factor for Irish comes down to the oral. Which is great. Of course, it means those people in gaelscoileanna once again get the advantage, but well, that's how just it works.

They combine the score, and if there's a joint first, then it's decided on Irish score, it's not that you actually require a "certain" score.

And strangely enough there wasn't a single person from any of the 3 gaeltachts that got an Easter Week schol last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

That's some incentive to actually try to get 100% in multiple subjects.

With payment like that, people could screw their part time work.

Better start studying............Irish ftw!!!!!!!

Advertisement