Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full face helmet for the commute to work

Options
  • 22-08-2008 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Poll on getting a full face helmet for the commute to work.

(please read 'Great idea, I have one and recommend it' - as 'I might also get one' too)

Full face helmet for the commute to work 43 votes

Great idea, I have one and recommend it
    0% 0 votes
    Good idea, I landed on my face once and wish I had one then!
    4% 2 votes
    Normal helmet is perfectly fine for me thanks
    0% 0 votes
    Helmets - I don't bother!
    95% 41 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Doing some serious downhill on the way into work with your full susser eh! Good idea. Go for some body armour too.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭digitalage

You could also put Stupid Idea in the poll

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

If you're so worried about injuring yourself that you'd wear a full-face to commute, then maybe it's time to stop cycling to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

What kinda nancy boy are u ? if i saw someone cycling down on a bicycle in the street with that gear on id crack up laughin. That would only be acceptable for maybe dirt bikes and the like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

What about the aul lad who goes around Dublin on a tricycle? He's got a full-face helmet and he's a pretty rockin' dude.

Having received many many blows to the jaw, I'd consider wearing one. It's the most damageable part of your head but its given the least protection, which seems a bit daft.
    That said, I wouldn't. I'd just be laughed at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

post edited

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

E@gle. wrote: »
    seen this guy in the FBD ras

cormac_o_shea.jpg

IMHO I don't think they're necessary. Look a little ridiculous too!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

This and the price of dental bills have me thinking about it...
    http://file017b.bebo.com/5/large/2006/09/27/13/16680034a2118928555b896586471l.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I've actually seen a few with full helmets. 2 anyway who I see regularly and they are just commuters. One of them sometimes asks me at traffic lights what my top speed is on the bike and then shrugs and says he's much faster. I think he thinks he's on a motor bike. He's a few cans short of a six pack tbh.

Also see people on pretty expensive looking MTB's wearing elbow pads and knee pads and downhill style helmets (not full face). Unless there's a mountain somewhere in the city centre then they're also commuters as I see them regularly at the same times in the city. I suppose they could be doing a bit of off road in the park on their way into work.:confused: They always look a bit too clean to be heading back from an off road spin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

clown bag wrote: »
    I've actually seen a few with full helmets. 2 anyway who I see regularly and they are just commuters. One of them sometimes asks me at traffic lights what my top speed is on the bike and then shrugs and says he's much faster. I think he thinks he's on a motor bike. He's a few cans short of a six pack tbh.

Also see people on pretty expensive looking MTB's wearing elbow pads and knee pads and downhill style helmets (not full face). Unless there's a mountain somewhere in the city centre then they're also commuters as I see them regularly at the same times in the city. I suppose they could be doing a bit of off road in the park on their way into work.:confused: They always look a bit too clean to be heading back from an off road spin though.

HAHA. Nice post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

clown bag wrote: »
    I've often cycled to a friends house for a lift first thing in the morning with all my gear on, always wondered how many people think I'm weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 skim

i no dat lad in the pic he wers dat helmet cause of a bad crash dat left him in a bad way a few years back and he only wears it racin

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Yeah you need a helmet, elbow pads, knee pads... and while we're at it why not horse riding like body protection? And you might as well wear a jockstrap with a cup - watch out for the bar on male bikes! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

HELL YEAH!!! You could even impress the missus and do the dusting when you get home!

ArmourF58011.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Check out the episode from series one entitled 'Calamity Jen'. Chris Morris dons a suit of bicycle protective armour that defies belief and belly-laughs.

Re: Full face helmets - alternatively, why not travel in a car? Full outer body protection, air bags, aircon and most even have a radio. Worry free travel for the 21st century!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

silly thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I'd rather my jaw was broke ,than my neck. Surely a full face helmet means your neck is even more vunerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Difficult to say, there has been a lot of debate about the efficacy of cycle helmets. Some studies have shown an increase in head injuries associated with the use of helmets.

The neck would be probably be more protected from compressive forces but distracting and sheering forces could be greater.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

311 wrote: »
    I'd rather my jaw was broke ,than my neck. Surely a full face helmet means your neck is even more vunerable.

Good point, a Leatt brace would also be advisable to go with the full-face helmet. It might be a bit cumbersome when you're walking around the shops but safety is paramount when traveling by bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

There is a very interesting article on cycle helmets on the Guardian website. Makes for interesting reading (not that it comes to much of a conclusion either way);

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/aug/11/healthandwellbeing.transport

• Advertisement
Advertisement