Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something to do with 5 million pics of flowers

Options
  • 22-08-2008 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

RTE is running a "flower" photography competition - closing date September 5th. The prize is a trip to Amsterdam next April.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

yep but did you see who you have to go with :eek:

Thanks for posting it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I don't know who he is, but assumed you could tell him to feck off and let you get a cup of coffee in peace if needs be :) Unless he's someone who's desperate for friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Would you be in with a chance if you submitted a picture of a Marijuana flower and a 50 word essay on why it means so much to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

C'mon, lets keep up the boards record of having winners!
    Plenty people here who are good enough.

It's the 50 word essay I'm having problems with.

"I like flowers. Flowers are pretty. Some of them might smell nice, but with hayfever I generally avoid sniffing them. I photograph them because they stay still for me and don't run away."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Being good enough is one thing. Wanting to go to Amsterdam on an organised tour of gardens is another thing.

50 word essay:

"I like taking pictures of flowers because they don't whinge about me getting their double chin, or craw. If you use flash, there is no red-eye. Photographs of red flowers are useful if you want to make your own Valentine cards. Flowers rock more than Pete Doherty does."

This one time, at flower camp,...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

When I grow up, thought the flower, I should like to be the raw material in a bottle of expensive French perfume.

As luck would have it, he grew up to be the raw material in a natural herbal remedy instead.

The end.

that being said, I wonder how my silver flowers would go down if I were to enter. I have some doubts about wanting to, however.

When we first met, my husband would bring me roses once a month, on pay day. In the early days they were single buds - sometimes plucked from someone's garden. As we got older the bouquets got bigger, fancier, more expensive. Then one month the roses didn't come. So I planted a my own rose bush in the garden, and tended it with care, and watered it with my tears. I buried him under that rose bush. That was shortly after I saw his Visa bill still had Interflora charges on it each month.

Calina wrote: »

that being said, I wonder how my silver flowers would go down if I were to enter. I have some doubts about wanting to, however.

What are your silver flowers? I'd probably send my parents or their friends if I won, unless I could be guaranteed that I didn't have to go visit gardens every day. A morning might be interesting, but not all day excursions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

interesting but 50 words essay... ughhh, laziness

I would love to enter this. I have a few potential shots too, even some from the tulip gardens in Amsterdam from last year (incidently I do plan on going again next year). The idea of the essay really puts me off. I was never any good at English in school. I can't put myself back into the hell that was English class again for a competition. I'm sure there are loads who are mightier at the pen than me...

bovril wrote: »
    I would love to enter this. I have a few potential shots too, even some from the tulip gardens in Amsterdam from last year (incidently I do plan on going again next year). The idea of the essay really puts me off. I was never any good at English in school. I can't put myself back into the hell that was English class again for a competition. I'm sure there are loads who are mightier at the pen than me...

Well, my bit above about the dead husband was 94 words. Your own post there was 80 words. So 50 words is roughly 3 lines in boards.ie...

"Essay" is a bit of a strong term for what they're looking for - 50 words max. My problem is that I have nothing really interesting to say about flowers. If you have ones from Amsterdam last year you could say something like "This picture of tulip fields near Amsterdam in April 2007 brings back fond memories of my first trip to the Netherlands with my girlfriend. I still buy her tulips regularly, and the scent brings back the joy of our first views of the fields."

PS, if you use that and win, you have to bring me back a windmill :)

Thoie wrote: »

"Essay" is a bit of a strong term for what they're looking for - 50 words max. My problem is that I have nothing really interesting to say about flowers. If you have ones from Amsterdam last year you could say something like "This picture of tulip fields near Amsterdam in April 2007 brings back fond memories of my first trip to the Netherlands with my girlfriend. I still buy her tulips regularly, and the scent brings back the joy of our first views of the fields."

It would work except I am a girl and don't have a gf (i'm not that way inclined!!!)

It would work except I am a girl and don't have a gf (i'm not that way inclined!!!)

Oops, sorry (dunno where I got the male idea from) - switch it around and it'll still work :D Don't forget my windmill!

Thoie wrote: »
    Oops, sorry (dunno where I got the male idea from) - switch it around and it'll still work :D Don't forget my windmill!

I don't know either sure I met you at the zoo!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

That's a terrible thing to say!! :eek::P

In that case I know your real name but had completely failed to link you with bovril :) To be fair, with one or two exceptions I can't match most of the usernames to faces.

i will forgive you this time ;) and i will bring you back a windmill if I win :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement