Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for future med student

Options
  • 22-08-2008 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

I'm going into med soon (pre-med to be exact) and was wondering if there is anyway I could prepare for the course. I haven't done physics and very nervous about it so is there any books you can recommend...

Any help is much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

You've to supply your own cadaver, i'd start by getting that sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

As for Physics... I don't know what level you're expected to know, but I bet you know more Physics than you think you do, just not organised. You don't need to go buying dead trees, there are free books online e.g. "The Free High School Science Texts" at at Wikibooks.

Dunno how much you're going to get done in a few weeks, but I would hope that any future doctor is completely happy with SI Units, and would never confuse milligrams with millilitres. :eek:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

There's a green physics book called 'physics' that's basically the course.

It's okay, not great, but buy it second hand if you haven't done physics before and get yourself one of those condensed LC text books 'less stress more success' type ones as it covers the basics nicely.

They've redesigned the course so it's a lot better than it used be, but stay on top of it because if you let it run away from you it's all a bit ****ed.

Physic is pretty much the only course that ever catches out premeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Also one called 'Physics in Biology and Medicine' by Davidovitz or some such person, good for the first semester. You don't need to prepare for premed. Physics will freak you out, that's it, and in a year you will laugh at this. Now relax and enjoy Transition Year Part 2 :D

Oh and check your PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

1. Relax
    2. Don't stress yet (Its pre-med wait till finals!!!)
    3. Physics is grand unless your a radiographer! (there should be a set of solutions to every past paper question doing the rounds)
    4. Don't believe people in your class who say they aren't studying.
    5. Get involved in UCD you'll be there for 6 years, and god knows you'll need friends outside of medicine.
    6. Go to the big medical nights. MED DAY, MED BALL, The wine and cheese soiree.
    7. Play rugby with one of the hospitals if your a guy. (Even if your pants just go along)
    8. Past papers are invaluable, try not to go on your mates' tips
    9. Stay on top of things (I've never done this myself but it must be better than cramming whole years into 14 days of fear anguish and stress)
    10. Scoring/ Going out with/ ppl in your class, is at times unavoidable just remember 6 years and anything you do WILL BE REMEMBERED.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Physic is pretty much the only course that ever catches out premeds.
    Bit of a Freudian slip there! http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/physic

PS: to echo Malmedicine, relax! This is possibly the last summer of complete freedom you will have! Worry about study when the course starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 lilith

we're supposed to be getting books already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

God no, buy them when you get to college, there's a second hand sale from medsoc and plenty of people have them around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 lilith

wow, that's a relief...i was scared there for a minute :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement