Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Fitness Log - London Marathon 2009!

Options
  • 22-08-2008 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi Folks,

I recently signed up to boards following a chance meeting with Woddle at a road race.

He recommended the fitness logs on here & I have to agree it seems to be a decent way to chart your progress & get some well informed advice (and encouragement).

Here's my story to date:

Up to a year ago I was in pretty bad shape. I would go hiking periodically but never really played any sports or did any serious exercise.

I was 5'11" & weighed around 16 stone when I joined a gym last year. My goal was simply to lose the excess weight.

I stopped eating rubbish & went to the gym 3 times a week. One of the guys in work knew I was doing some exercise & recommended entering a road race to help focus my training.

I entered & completed my first Ballycotton '10' in March & since then I've been hooked on running.

My race entries & completion times are as follows:

March 2008: 10 miler - 86 mins 36 sec.s
    April 2008: 10k - 50 mins 58 sec.s
    May 2008: 8k - 35 mins 59 sec.s
    June 2008: 10k - 45 mins 25 sec.s
    August 2008: 5 miler - 36 mins 17 sec.s
    August 2008: 5 miler - 35 mins 17 sec.s

I now weigh around 11 stone 6 pounds & aim to complete road races of distances between 8k & half marathon up to the end of the year to steadily improve performance & strength. I'll log my training regime & race results here..

Some races coming up shortly are:

10k Luggacurran Stradbally 14th Sept.
    10k Condalkin 28th September
    10k Donadea Running Club Road race 11th October

My long term goal is to complete the Flora London Marathon in April of next year & not totally disgrace myself.

Well that's the long story out of the way. Check back in again shortly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Hi mate welcome its great to have other marathon runners here. You have been busy since March haven't you. Anyway, just wanted to say best of luck with your training and I'll look forward to reading your log.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

same as Odysseus, welcome aboard great to have another runner .your times are showing great improvement in a short space of time keep it up. best of luck with your log and training

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Fair play to you sweater, they are some good times and in such a short period of time, great stuff. We seem to be at a similar level, so let the rivalry begin :D. Na only messing will look forward to racing with you again in the future, Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭token56

Best of luck with your training and best of luck in Luggacurren, I have ran it a few times and its not easy so best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Welcome aboard and best of luck with your training :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Welcome Sweater...I was in the same boat as you in Feb nearly weighing 16st down to 13st 5lb now and feeling the better for it. Your already showing great improvemnt in your running times...Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Sweater

Well Folks,

Cheers for all the messages of support..

Rest day today. Heading on the holidays early tomorrow morning so I'll probably won't get to log my training until I get back on the 31st August.

It'll be hot over there so I'm hoping to do some early morning running on the beach. I'm working from a Hal Higdon 10k intermediate plan at the moment.

On the London marathon entry side: It looks as though I'll need to run for a Charity in order to compete in the London Marathon 2009. I've applied to the RNLI but minimum sponsorship is £2100 to run on their behalf so raising that might pose quite a challenge (never mind completing the race).

Sweater wrote: »
    On the London marathon entry side: It looks as though I'll need to run for a Charity in order to compete in the London Marathon 2009. I've applied to the RNLI but minimum sponsorship is £2100 to run on their behalf so raising that might pose quite a challenge (never mind completing the race).

I have to correct myself on the above. The online ballot entry system for UK residents is now closed. However, entry ballots for overseas entrants are still available.. I've just submitted one myself. They let you know whether or not you've been accepted for the race in early October.

Arrived back from holidays late last night. Went to Lanzarote & it was really nice. It was a great spot to get in a little training & I would recommend it to anyone with a family who is looking to get in some running while they're away.

You need to run in the early morning & late evening unless you really want to punish yourself. (I did see one guy running around noon in 32 degree heat but I'm pretty sure he was quite mad..;))

You won't be alone as there are plenty of joggers out morning and evening to help keep you motivated. I was staying in Matagorda 3k from Puerto Del Carmen & there is a wide path the whole way from the harbour in Puerto Del Carmen, past Matagorda, past the Airport to the harbour area of Arriceffe. The whole run is flat as a pancake & runs right along the sea front.

The seascape is fantastic & you certainly won't get bored running it.

Was quite lazy over there but managed to get in three runs:

24/08/08 ~ 3 mile : 25 minutes : 27 degrees (4.30pm)

This was a tough run when the sun was still pretty high. It was from Matagorda to the airport & back along by the sea.

25/08/08 ~ 5 mile: 37 minutes : 16 degrees (7.30am)

Decent run. Made the mistake of running into Puerto Del Carmen from Matagorda & met a bin lorry picking bins on the main strip. It kept passing me out and then I kept catching it. It was putrid. We passed each other 6 times before I managed to out run it.

27/08/08 ~ 6 mile: 47 minutes : 16 degrees (7.30am)

Excellent Run. Headed out passed the Airport & on to the suburbs of Arriceffe before turning.

That was pretty much it & then I took the rest of the week off. Was on holidays after all..

Today: Last day before heading back to work. Went to Glendalough & walked / ran the spink. Started from the Kevin's bed side on the upper lake before descending onto the miners road on the far side of the lake. Ran the 2.5k from the end of the trail to the car park. Pain in the ass with the hiking boots & backpack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

That's some progress Sweater.
    I'm off to Lanzarote in February, already looked at hiring a bike as well as running routes.
    Keep it going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

well done sweater, I applied for the London marathon as well, I'll find out in oct/nov. Not sure if I'll do it, I've only done one race , 10k in 49 mins.
    You've improved quickly from your initial time and that's really impressive.

Tuesday: 02/09/08 5 miler: 37:21. avg. pace: 7:28

Wednesday: 03/09/08 Lazy. Blamed weather for not heading out! Had intended sprint work.

Need to get some done tomorrow (hell or high water :)).

showry wrote: »
    already looked at hiring a bike as well as running routes.

You're dead right. There are loads of spots to hire bikes over there. Was thinking I might do it myself the next time I'm back over..

blah wrote: »
    I applied for the London marathon as well, I'll find out in oct/nov. Not sure if I'll do it

Well Blah, hope you got a place in the marathon. If you do, let me know if you're doing it. We can compare prep notes!

Today Threadmill: Sprints 4 * 800m as part of 5.5k total run.

Really felt the sprints. Not really used to them. 1st & 2nd 800m were at 16kph, 3rd was at 15.5kph & 4th was at 15kph.

50 situps in 2 minutes

Chest press:

Set 1: 25lbs * 30 rep.s
    Set 2,3,4: 25lbs * 10 rep.s

Not really happy with the training over the last week. Will be turning up for the 10k race tomorrow but disappointed at my lack of motivation & don't expect to record a PB..

Could blame work & weather for the lack of training but laziness is the main culprit. I need to start back on a decent running plan & hopefully stick to it.

06/09/08:
    4 miler road : 28:30

10/09/08:
    10 miler road (easy): 83:20

Advertisement