Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

North side pre nct test ASAP?

Options
  • 22-08-2008 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Want to get a full pre NCT test tomorrow. Where in the north side of Dublin can you get one done. I know they are usually a waste of money but I need it done for a particular reason this time.

Suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Why do you need it done?

Usually it's a better idea to bring the car for the NCT and be told what's needed - if anything.

EDIT : I'd say it'll be an uphill struggle to find someone to do it tomorrow without an appointment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

wordcount wrote: »
    Want to get a full pre NCT test tomorrow. Where in the north side of Dublin can you get one done. I know they are usually a waste of money but I need it done for a particular reason this time.

Suggestions appreciated.

What reason? If there's something seriously wrong then fair enough. If not then, as crosstownk said, just put it through the test and find out what it fails on - cheaper that way in the long run.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A pre NCT cannot really guarrantee anything and the results for emissions, etc. they show you may not tally with what is generated in a test.
    Don't waste your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭wordcount

I have a specific reason which is that I am thinking of buying a car that i am getting a very good deal on. its a 04 and its due an NCT so I though get a pre NCT test done (the guy is lettign me take it away fro a few hours tomorrow to get it checked out)which will tell me if the car is in reasonable nick. I can also go back to the place where I am buying it if its not and get some more off it or let it go completly depending on the pre test report. Does that make sence?

I want it done as quickly as possible cause the car is needed for tuesday.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Fair enough then!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I have a specific reason which is that I am thinking of buying a car that i am getting a very good deal on. its a 04 and its due an NCT so I though get a pre NCT test done (the guy is lettign me take it away fro a few hours tomorrow to get it checked out)which will tell me if the car is in reasonable nick. I can also go back to the place where I am buying it if its not and get some more off it or let it go completly depending on the pre test report. Does that make sence?

Not really. It does if the place you are bringing your car to has an NCT test lane, but from what I've seen, most of them don't. There was another thread on here recently about an OP paying for a pre-NCT and the car failing the actual NCT test for something that in all reality should never have been able to get through the pre-NCT process without having been flagged as a problem, I think it was rear axle brake imbalance. Take some good advice and NEVER EVER buy a car from someone without an NCT! Even if they guarantee to resolve any NCT issue that might turn up if you manage the NCT, my experience has been that this usually goes straight out the window when the cost to the garage of resolving the issue starts going over the 200 Euro mark.

Here's my advice to you, ring the NCT every 20 minutes (Lo-Call: 1890 412 413), between 7.00PM and 8.00PM and also between 8.00AM and 9:00AM every weekday (except Friday), and tell them you are looking for a cancellation in whatever area you are in. You will get a date within a week, you just have to be persistant and ring at the above times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I want it done as quickly as possible cause the car is needed for tuesday.

If your pre-NCT information doesn't agree with your actual NCT decision, then you have a problem on two fronts, first of all with the garage you are buying the car from and secondly with the garage that did the pre-NCT... This is the kind of headache you want to avoid, two garages blaming each other and also the NCT for the problems, if the car fails the NCT. If the seller is keen to get the car sold, then he/she can get the NCT sorted if they put their mind to it. Give them a deposit and let them sort it out. If they can't, just get your deposit back...

Advertisement